Negative effects of Technology
by Joslyn Hagener
How do cell phones physically and mentally affect humans?
Texting and Driving
- 60% of people with phones use them while driving
- It also claimed that 1/4th of accidents relate to some form of mobile distraction.
- 11 teens die every day due to texting and driving
They have found that responding to a text distracts your attention from the road for about five seconds. If you are traveling at 55 mph then that is enough time to drive the length of a full football field.
So basically Using phones while driving has resulted in a failure of cognitive processing leading to unsafe driving and many deaths and injuries.
Lack of Sleep
- 9 hours of sleep
- 50% of lose and hour of sleep
- higher levels of depression
Phones are causing people to spend more time looking at other people's lives than live their own or get the rest they need.
Taking a break from virtual life provides time to perform in other activities and helps one discover life beyond the screen. People need to find time to rest their brains from technology and think twice before constantly using their phones.