Science Community Opportunities
August 1, 2022
Greetings: We respectfully request that you do not send emails directly to the listserv. Please email your opportunities to Kira at firstname.lastname@example.org, or send them to the specialists. All announcements received before Wednesday at 12pm (noon) will be added to the following week’s email. Thank you.
General Opportunities (K-12):
Utah Learn@Home Student Science Experiences - Created by Utah teachers for at-home science engagement aligned to SEEd Standards
Utah K-12 OER Science Textbooks - Aligned to new SEEd Standard
- Educator Licensing Newsletter
- Think you know Utah? Get off the beaten path and into the natural world. With a natural or cultural wonder to visit in each of Utah's 29 counties, you can see something new, learn something new, and make amazing memories along the way. Adventure is closer than you think. Start planning your road trip today!
Discover More of Utah – with Explorer Corps!
Public Education Summary. This summary is intended to be a review of selected highlights of education-related legislation from the 2022 Legislative Session. This Quick Guide is designed for teachers, parents, and public education-related organizations.
Office of Energy Award Application 2022. This award is provided by the Office of Energy Development & UtSTA. Utah is one of the most energy-rich states and students will play a critical role in the development and use of these energies. You, the teacher, play the most important role in ensuring Utah reaches its full economic potential by providing a highly-skilled labor force and enabling the student to become the scientist. There will be an award for an Elementary teacher and a Secondary Teacher.
Canyonlands Outside: Family fun, outside! Professional development opportunity to experience erosion and be able to bring concepts back to your classroom. Where: Canyonlands National Park (Different years, different places, see the section's information and also www.earthscienceeducation.org for abundant information. When: PD scedule can vary, for 2022: 11AM to 2PM including lunch (to build a layered sandwich). FAMILY FRIENDLY but must have supervising adult. After this professional development, teachers will recognize that erosion/deposition surrounds us. Erosion takes materials from one place and deposits them somewhere else. EROSION/DEPOSITION millions of years ago made the rock layers of Canyonlands. EROSION/DEPOSITION now exposes those layers and creates spectacular scenery. EROSION/DEPOSITION can be modeled several ways including with a sandwich, with "lego" blocks, and with mathematics.
Teacher Trilobite Day: K-12 Science Framework Crosscutting Concepts -patterns, cause and effect and scale. Standard ESS.2.4 Develop and use a model to illustrate how Earth’s internal and surface processes operate at different scales.
Grant to assist rural teachers to attend the UtSTA Fall Conference. Apply now for the October 7, 2022, Teaching Science in the Multiverse. Apply at https://airtable.com/shr4N8tixgMMm9aV0
UtSTA Fall Conference "Teaching Science in the Multiverse" - Join with 1000 science teachers from across the state in a one day conference on October 7th!! Register at utsta.org. 60 break out sessions. Teacher Awards. Keynote by Dr. Mike Heithaus.
- The Utah State Board of Education (USBE) recently updated the educator license requirements for the Elementary & Early Childhood Education license areas. Candidates may meet the basic content knowledge competencies for licensure by completing the appropriate content test or general education college level courses.
Secondary (7-12) Opportunities:
- The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) program is excited to announce that nominations and applications for the 22/23 awards cycle are open! This nomination cycle is focused towards Secondary Mathematics and Secondary Science teachers. Take a minute to pay it forward and nominate one of your amazing colleagues!
- Online Endorsement Courses - register for online 12 week courses that count toward your science endorsements! Reimbursements available through your LEA!! Go to utsta.org for a list of courses that start on September 15th.
- MEET THE SCIENTIST - Register to spend an hour with Rob Davies, a Weber State Physicist whose work focuses on Global Change, Human Vibrancy, and the Science of Systems. This is a VIRTUAL event on September15th that starts at 4:30. Go to utsta.org for more information!!