Pop Culture & Food of India
Camille, Mikayla & Brooklyn
What are some favorite pass-times in India?
Sports in India
Field hockey is the official national sport of India, but cricket is considered the most popular. Chess was invented in northwestern India, and Snakes and Ladders, Playing Cards, Polo, and the martial arts of Judo and Karate had all originated in India.
Movies of India: Bollywood
Favorite Movies in India
- PK: made $100 million USD
- Dhoom 3: $86 million USD
- Chennai Express: $67 million USD
- 3 Idiots: $63 million USD
- Happy New Year: $61 million USD
What are some popular foods in India?
Some Popular Foods Are:
- Biryani: rice dish cooked with several spices, notably saffron, and a protein (typically chicken or mutton) that’s been marinated
- Momos: similar to dimsum or potstickers, native to the North Eastern states that border Nepal (where the dish originated), eaten with a fiery red chutney.
- Banana Chips: baked banana slices
- Vada: lentil or flour batter fried into a doughnut shape
- Kulfi: iced preparation made from thickened milk, almonds and pistachios
- Samosas: fried or baked triangular snackfood made of a potato stuffing, usually also containing onions and peas
What kinds of clothes do people wear?
Common Clothing Articles
- Silk Saris: long piece of silk wrapped around the body (women)
- Dhoti: piece of cloth tied around waist and legs (men)
- Kurta: loose shirt worn around knee length for special occasions (men)
- Sherwani: long coat buttoned from collar to knees