Cowles Montessori Crier
Week of October 5th
Cowles Montessori Vision
“Human flourishing, as Maria Montessori put it, means becoming a person of one’s time and place with the means and wherewithal not only to function within but to shape society (NCMPS, 2019).”
“All humans (CHILDREN and ADULTS) flourish in society (ENVIRONMENT).” - Cowles Montessori Vision
Please join me in welcoming Shannon Hines, who has accepted the position of office manager at Cowles! Shannon comes to us with experience in the business world, at a public library, and as a nanny. Shannon will begin full-time around October 20th. DMPS is graciously allowing Marian to stay on with us until the end of the month to support the transition. Congratulations, Shannon, and welcome to Cowles!!
Hello everyone, my name is Shannon Hines and I’ll be your new office manager! I’m a Grimes native currently residing in downtown Des Moines with my lovely girlfriend and our two rambunctious children (cats). In my free time I love taking walks in the woods, baking, reading, dabbling in astrology, and before COVID, firmly planted in a movie theater seat. I look forward to becoming a part of the Cowles Montessori family!
PrePrimary (Preschool and Kindergarten) start date October 12th
- Preschool students and Kindergarten students who selected the in-person (hybrid) model will attend in-person 2-3 days per week (NOT 4 days in-person).
- All teachers will continue to teach their current classroom for both in-person (hybrid) students and virtual students.
- During the week of October 12th: Cohort A will attend Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesay
- During the week of October 12th: Cohort B will attend Thursday and Friday (Cohort B will attend the following Wednesday)
- PrePrimary will host a Back-to-School night for in-person (hybrid) only families on Thursday, October 8th from 3:30-5:00 at Cowles. This is to allow new-to-Cowles families to meet their teacher and see the school before they begin their education at Cowles.
- For PrePrimary virtual students and all other new-to-Cowles parents, CMPG will host a virtual New-to-Cowles Parent Coffee Chat on Thursday, October 15th, from 10:00-11:00 a.m. Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5016626370 Meeting ID: 501 662 6370
CMPG Cowles Masks
Important Dates To Remember
Other Start Dates for In-Person (Hybrid) and Virtual Instruction
- Lower Level (1st, 2nd, 3rd Grades) and Upper Level (4th, 5th, and 6th Grades) start date October 19th. All teachers will continue to teach their current classroom for both in-person (hybrid) students and virtual students.
- Middle School (7th and 8th Grades) start date October 26th. All teachers will continue to teach their current classroom for both in-person (hybrid) students and virtual students.
CMPG Monthly Meeting
- Monday, October 12th at 6:00 p.m.
Join the Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5016626370
Meeting ID 501 662 6370
Free Meals for All DMPS Students
- Free meals can be picked up at Cowles from 11:00-1:00 p.m.
- Drive through the parking lot to the loading doc by the cafeteria and the lunches will be brought out to you
- Any DMPS/Cowles family can receive meals regardless of income or life circumstance
- More information is posted below
21-Day Equity Challenge
- October 5th through November 2nd
- See the United Way flyer posted below
Dear Parents of Cowles,
Operation Warmth and the Rotary Club of NW Des Moines have team up together to provide children in need with a new winter coat free of charge.
If you wish to participate, please fill out the information below so we can provide the coat that will be most appropriate for your child and return to Jessica Reisinger by October 2, 2020.
Child’s Name ___________________________________
Child’s Homeroom _______________________________
Please indicate the correct size (Size chart in attached document)___________________
Thank you for your continued support,
Cowles Montessori School Counselor
Des Moines Public Schools
6401 College Avenue | Windsor Heights, Iowa 50324