Catholic School Matters
October 22, 2017
Special Momentum Issue
Four times a year, the NCEA publishes an issue of Momentum, their award-winning magazine. This fall’s issue will be mailed out this week. I’d like to make sure that every Catholic school teacher, administrator, and parent can see the great content contained in this issue.
Below you will see short summaries of each one of the articles and links to the articles themselves. I sometimes hear principals ask “Is my membership to NCEA worth it?” It is today. Enjoy the articles. Share them widely.
Want to keep up with the conversations surrounding Catholic education? Set up your own Google Alert, subscribe to this newsletter by clicking "follow," subscribe to the Catholic Schools Daily, or subscribe to the Catholic School Matters podcast.
Dr. Tim Uhl
What I'm Up To
When you read this, I'll probably be in Tempe for the NCEA Catholic Leadership Summit. While there, I plan to do at least one on-site podcast interview to find out what the market research says about Catholic schools.
I'm continuing to develop a "Church Documents" podcast study series. The series will kick off October 30th and will trace Church documents on Catholic education from Vatican II until today. I recommend you order At The Heart of the Church so that you can read along. On Wednesday, I'll share my blog on What Happened at Vatican II by Fr. John O'Malley, who is one of my guests on the first Church Documents podcasts. It's an outstanding and very accessible book on Vatican II.
Here's what I'm working on this week:
- Monday: CLS (Tempe)
- Tuesday: CLS (Tempe)
- Wednesday: CLS (Tempe); Wed book blog What Happened at Vatican II.
- Thursday: WCEA previsit at Bishop Manogue HS (Reno).
- Friday: office (Helena)
Miles this week: 3,318 air miles
Miles travelled in 2017-18: 10,723 road miles; 4,866 air miles
A Catholic School is Born
Ensuring a Catholic Approach to Principal Preparation
Effective Hiring for Catholic School Leadership
Faith Formation and the Personal Relationship with Jesus: How Catholic Education Can Help
Partnership Coalitions: A Response to Crisis in Catholic Education
The Importance of Personal Choice in Choosing Catholic Schools
Soul of Youth Sport: An Opportunity for Sports and Spirituality
From the Field
- Sr. Dale McDonald's National Education Issues and Local Impacts
- Sr. Mary Angela Shaughnessy's column on the Trinity Lutheran case, Blaine amendments, and a Title I case
- Melissa Chriswisser's column on Finding the Perfect Solution to Utilizing Technology in a Math Classroom
Assessment & Admissions
- Catholic Leadership Summit October 22-25, 2017
- NCEA Visions for Excellence Soul of Youth Sports Conference, Feb 21-23, 2018 (KC)
- Convention, April 3-5, 2018 Cincinnati
- Nominations for the spring awards are now open: Lead, Learn, Proclaim Awards; President's Awards; and Youth Virtues, Vision and Valor are now open. Click here for more information.
- Click here to register for webinars
- Oct 26: Catholic Identity in the 21st Century Classroom
- Oct 30: Dia de los Muertos: Infusing Catholic & Cultural Traditions Into Your Classroom
What I'm Reading
- Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership (2007) by Gary L. McIntosh & Samuel D. Rima (underway)
- You Don't Have Say You Love Me (2017) by Sherman Alexie.
- Queen Sugar (2014) by Natalie Baszile
- When Breath Becomes Air (2016) by Paul Kanalithi
- Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night (2017) by Jason Zinoman
- Wait, What? And LIfe's Other Essential Questions by James E. Ryan.
Click this link for a full list of my professional reading along with links to Wed Book Blogs
For Montana Administrators & Teachers
- Here is the slideshow for the Oct 3rd Admin Virtual meeting, including the login info and agenda. Please read pp. 41-54 of Redeeming Administration.
Past Issues of Catholic School Matters
October 15, 2017 "Anthem Protests"
October 8, 2017 Classroom Managment Special Issue
October 1, 2017 "The Un-Themed Issue"
September 24, 2017 "Joy of the Gospel"
September 17, 2017 "ESSA"
September 10, 2017 "On Leadership"
August 27, 2017 "American Catholic News"
August 20, 2017 Back to School Issue