Message from the Superintendent
September 25, 2020
Dear OUSD Community,
We are excited to welcome those students choosing to return to on-campus learning during Phase 2 of our Safety & Health-Driven School Reopening Plan. Elementary students will start phasing in grade levels on Monday, September 28.
The transition into Phase 2 will be a new experience for us all. While we anticipate that there will be an adjustment period, we look forward to working collaboratively with our families and staff as we adapt to new routines and procedures.
As students return to campus, students choosing to remain in 100% distance learning will also transition to the Phase 2 class schedules based upon grade-level phase-in dates. Please check the school websites or contact site leaders for school-specific information as programs vary slightly based upon site logistics.
Middle school cohorts will start phasing in grade levels beginning on October 1, and high schools will start phasing cohort grade levels in on October 15. Additional information will be shared as we move closer to the secondary phase-in dates.
Elementary Student Return to Campus Dates
- Monday, September 28: Pre-K, TK, Kindergarten, Grade 1, Parkside Home School (K-6), and Pre-K -6th Self-Contained Regionalized Programs
- Wednesday, September 30: Grade 1 & 2 Combination Classes, Grade 2, and Grade 3
- Friday, October 2: Grades 4, 5, and 6
Middle School Return to Campus Dates
- Thursday, October 1 (second half of trimester): Grade 6 Cohort B, Grade 8 Cohort B, Parkside Home School (7-12), Special Education supports (regionalized programs), any identified cohort of students
- Friday, October 2: Grade 7 Cohort B
- Monday, October 5: Grade 8 Cohort A and Grade 6 Cohort A
- Tuesday, October 6: Grade 7 Cohort A
High School Student Return to Campus Dates
- Thursday, October 1: Parkside Home School (7-12), Special Education supports (regionalized programs), any identified cohort of students
- Thursday, October 15 (start of the second quarter): Grade 9 Cohort B, Grade 12 Cohort B, All Richland High School Students
- Friday, October 16: Grade 10 Cohort B, Grade 11 Cohort B,
- Monday, October 19: Grade 12 Cohort A, Grade 9 Cohort A
- Tuesday, October 20: Grade 11 Cohort A Grade 10 Cohort A
As a reminder, face coverings or masks are mandatory for students in third grade and above who attend school on campus. Children in grades Preschool-Grade 2 are also expected to wear face coverings or shields. Students who receive exemptions from masks/face coverings will be required to wear face shields to the extent their condition permits.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility as we continue to navigate the new school year.
Gunn Marie Hansen, Ph.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Questions/comments will be handled by the appropriate personnel. If there are multiple questions or comments on the same subject matter, we will add them to our "Frequently Asked Questions" section of our resources.
We invite you to take a moment to follow Orange Unified on social media to receive the District’s latest news and announcements. Social media may also be a critical line of communication during emergencies and will be an excellent place for you to get up to date information: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube