Introduction to Gentetics
Genotypes are allele set that determines the expression of a trait or characteristics and is a gene combination of at least two letters.
- TT, Tt, tt
- DD, Dd, dd
- RR, Rr, rr
Phenotype is the physical appearance of an organism through the expression of its genes.
- genotype- Ee / phenotype- green eyes
- genotype- ff / phenotype- blonde hair
- genotype- YY / phenotype- widows peak
Homozygous means to code for two identical alleles with the same trait.
Heterozygous is a pair of genes where one allele is dominant and one is recessive.
Dominant allele is the trait that hides or masks the recessive gene and is represented through a capital letter.
Recessive allele is the trait that is taken over by a dominant gene. The trait can still show if paired with another recessive allele.
“How can someone predict the traits of offspring?”
- You can predict the traits of an offspring by using a punnet square and inputting what the parent traits are.
- It is important to study this to understand how traits are given to offspring and what determines how they get those traits.