The North Lake ECHS Newsletter
September 17, 2021
A Message from Mr. Lysowski
North Lake Family,
Dallas ISD recently announced that while Dallas County is still in level red for COVID-19, all indoor activities related to traditional Fall activities are not allowable at this time, including Homecoming. Therefore, the decision has been made to postpone homecoming. Our team is currently working alongside Dallas College and Dallas ISD on an outdoor option, and more information will be shared once it becomes available. In an attempt to combat the virus, Dallas ISD also announced that they will be providing students with a $50 incentive for receiving their COVID-19 vaccination. Directions for cashing in both the Dallas College and Dallas ISD incentives can be found below.
Parents/guardians, please take note that there are only three weeks remaining in the first nine-week grading period. We encourage all families to check their student's progress on Parent Portal. For dual-credit information, please have your student log on to their eCampus account to view assignment submissions and current grades.
North Lake ECHS Principal
The Dallas ISD Parent Portal system uses PowerSchool. It is a valuable resource available in English and Spanish for parents/guardians to use to become more involved in their children’s education.
Parent Portal provides parents/guardians with three key benefits:
- Secure on-line access to their children's grades, assignments, and attendance
- Email alerts of absences and grade average changes
- A two-way communication tool for parents and teachers
Register today for a PowerSchool Parent Portal account and become a partner in your child’s education.
New and Returning Users:
If this is your first time signing up for a PowerSchool account, click on the link below then select “Parent Sign In” followed by “Create an Account Here”
Questions? Send an email to ParentPortal@dallasisd.org.
Family Engagement Survey
Responses to this survey will aid North Lake ECHS in planning family engagement activities for the 2021-2022 school year. Thank you for providing us with feedback to improve the experience here at North Lake ECHS!
Mark Your Calendar
Tuesday, September 21--Parent Involvement/Parent Compact Meeting (Virtual)
Wednesday, September 22--SBDM Meeting, 6:30pm
Wednesday, September 22--ECHS Uniform Day
Tuesday, September 28--Annual Title I Meeting (Virtual)
Wednesday, September 29--PTSA Member Meeting, 7:00pm
Saturday, October 2--Virtual ACP Saturday School
Monday, October 4-Thursday, October 7--ACP Testing/Final Exams for Q1
Wednesday, October 6--ECHS Uniform Day
Thursday, October 7--Quarter 1 Ends
Friday, October 8--Elementary Fair Day (Student Holiday, No School)
Parent Involvement Meeting--September 21, 8:30am and 6:30pm
Parents, We Need Your Help!
Our Chick-Fil-A contest has been extended to the end of September and we need your help!
As our PTSA membership base continues to grow, the impact that our PTSA can have will be even greater! Please support our PTSA and North Lake ECHS by visiting www.JoinPTA.org to sign-up!
Role of a Highly Functioning PTSA:
- Raising money to support needs that align to the Campus Improvement Plan and other specific needs.
- Tracking local, state, and national policies to advocate what's best for our North Lake families.
- Hosting fun, educational clubs, events, and programs for our families!
NLECHS SBDM Seeking Committee Members!
The Site-Based Decision Making Committee serves as an advisory council to the principal. The SBDM committee comprises the campus principal, teachers, school staff, parents, business and community representatives. Currently, our SBDM is in search of stakeholders who would be interested in serving on our committee. Please send all inquiries to Ms. Sandra Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SBDM will have its first meeting on Wednesday, September 22 at 6:30pm via Zoom.
COVID-19 Vaccine Incentives for Students (Updated 09/17/2021)
Dallas ISD Incentive: With the safety and well-being of staff and students in mind, Dallas ISD is offering a one-time $50 vaccination incentive to students ages 12 and older who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The incentive will be distributed in the form of a card that can be used as cash. To get the card, parents/guardians or students who are at least 18 should fill out the proof of vaccination form and submit a copy of the student's COVID vaccination card, IMMTrac2 print out or written confirmation from a medical provider by Nov. 15.
How to provide proof of vaccination
- Click on the link to the form https://pznwuubwfdll22r-production.adb.us-phoenix-1.oraclecloudapps.com/ords/r/prod/student-covid-vaccinations
- Sign in using the student ID number and date of birth
- Fill out the required information
- Upload an image of the proof of vaccination (card, IMMTrac2, document from medical provider)
- Submit the form
ECHS Uniform Wednesdays!
Failure to follow dress code requirements, including ECHS Uniform Wednesdays, will result in Friday Night Lights.
Hispanic Heritage Month Activities
In 1988, Congress designated the entire month of September 15th through October 15th as Hispanic Heritage Month (HHM).
This month, Dallas ISD is providing a series of highly engaging programs and activities centered around the celebration, empowerment, remembrance, and appreciation of our students' cultural heritages. North Lake ECHS will also be incorporating culturally relevant lessons and enrichment opportunities through MAPS and our extracurricular programming.
TSIA2 Testing and Preparation
English Language Arts and Reading (ELAR) Standard:
- ELAR Score of 945+ AND Essay Score of 5 – 8
- ELAR Score under 945 AND ELAR Diagnostic Level of 4 – 6 AND Essay Score of 5 - 8
TSIA2 Math Standard:
- Math Score Under 950 AND Math Diagnostic Level of 6
TSIA2 Resources, Links, and Tutorials
Accuplacer Test Prep--The ACCUPLACER website features practice questions and other study tools to help you prepare for the TSI assessment. You can also login to take the Texas version of a web-based practice test to familiarize yourself with the tests three different content areas.
EdReady--TSIA2 test prep website. All students are required to sign-up and create an account. Create an account today using the information provided below:
- Navigate to disd.edready.org and click Get Started.
- After creating their accounts, they will receive an email confirmation with an activation link.
- After logging in they will be prompted to enter a goal key. The goal key for all North Lake students is northlake (all lowercase). They will be able to access both the math and reading study paths with that one code. And they only need to enter the goal key one time to add it to their dashboard.
- There is a walkthrough video and a student quick start guide at the bottom of the disd.edready.org main page if they need assistance
Extracurriculars at North Lake ECHS
Students will model our campus vision, mission, values, and moto on campus and extracurriculars
100% student participation in 1 or 2 campus activities
Have a positive attitude and explore different activities
Be committed to your extracurricular for the full semester
Extracurriculars gives you another opportunity to practice, learn, and embody our campus vision, mission, values, and moto
A way to belong, explore, and create and build friendships
Scholarships possibilities to 4 year universities
Resume building for 4 year university applications and future careers
North Lake College Campus Map
North Lake Early College High School
- A Dallas Independent School District school of choice, North Lake Early College High School (NLECHS) is housed on the campus of Dallas College North Lake Campus, our higher education partner. Through a collaborative effort, NLECHS students attend both high school and on-site college classes with the goal of graduating with a high school diploma and at least 60 college credits or an associate degree. Our school motto, "Learns today, Leaders tomorrow," speaks to our vision of becoming a nationally recoginzed, elite early college dedicated to graduating all students as creative thinkers and global leaders of tomorrow.