What it is
Dehydration occurs when your body does not have as much water and fluids as it should.
Causes of Dehydration
- Sweating to much from exercising in hot weather
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Urinating to much
Who is at risk
- Infants and children
- Older adults
- People with chronic illnesses
- Endurance athletes
- People living at high altitudes
- Dry or sticky mouth
- Not urinating much
- Darker yellow urine
- Dry, cool skin
- Muscle cramps
- Try sipping water or sucking on ice cubes.
- Try drinking water or sports drinks that contain electrolytes.
- Do not take salt tablets. They can cause serious complications.
- Anyone with a fever, vomiting, or diarrhea should drink plenty of fluids
- If anyone in your family is ill, pay attention to how much they are able to drink.
- Drink plenty of fluids every day, even when you are well. Drink more when the weather is hot or you are exercising.