MIS Monthly Message
Welcome to our Monthly Message!
- This is our first edition of the MIS Monthly Message, which will be our newsletter for parents. This is where we will share important information and upcoming events that affect our school. Please share this message with others! You can forward this email to others you'd like to get the message and tell them to click Follow at the top. If they do that, they will receive it each time a new message is released. You can also send me email addresses to add to the distribution list.
- We're off to a great start to the school year! The students are settling in and are hard at work each day learning in their classes. Thanks for all your help in getting our year off to a smooth start!
- One of our main focus areas this year is to teach our students about the growth mindset. I will be sharing resources with you to help you understand it so that you can reinforce this at home. All teachers read the book Mindset this summer by Carol Dweck as part of their professional learning and we are now sharing this with students. We are also working to revise our practices at school to make sure that they align with our new vision. I'll share information on the book below for those who are interested and a link to a short video that explains it.
- Mindset book: http://www.amazon.com/Mindset-Psychology-Success-Carol-Dweck/dp/0345472322/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441571604&sr=8-1&keywords=mindset+book
- Growth Mindset Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_oqghnxBmY
I'd love to hear any feedback you have and more information about what you'd like to see in this newsletter. Please feel free to give me a call, stop by, or email me with information.
Volunteer Opportunities at MIS
MIS Learning Garden: We have been fortunate to have Louisa Smith as our school
gardener the past several years. However, she retired at the end of last year and we find ourselves in need of help! We have planned a Garden Clean-up day for next
Friday, September 11th where every class will come and weed a bed. Our goal is for classes to come out the next week and plant a fall garden.
Do you know about gardening and have some time to work with a class? We need your expertise! If you're interested in helping with the Learning Garden, please contact Crystal Grimes, EAST Facilitator.
MIS Field Day: We are having Field Day on Friday, October 2nd at the MHS Track. We would love to have parents involved in helping us plan this fun day for our students. We will have track events, kickball tournaments, and other track and field events. If you're interested in helping in any way, please contact Blake Abbott, Assistant Principal.
Do You Tweet?
Important Events this Month
Tuesday, September 8th
- Vision screenings for 4th grade students by Dr. Ferguson
Friday, September 11th
- MIS Learning Garden Clean-up Day
Monday, September 14th
- Academy starts for all students (daily from 8:10 - 8:40)
- GT classes begin for 4th and 5th grade identified students (Nominated 3rd grade and new students are currently going through the testing process and will start classes after students have been identified)
- After-school program begins
- PTO Meeting, 6 pm
Tuesday, September 22nd
- Progress reports go home in Tuesday folders