CLN #1 Special Education
January 2016, Connecting you to what you need to know.
Happy New Year & Welcome Back!!!
Kathy & I hope that everyone had a restful break!!!!
January is busy with the kick off of our PLC and AU-Literacy Course for Special Educators.
This month's newsletter will provide additional information on student data, professional development and case management reminders.
As always please reach out with any questions or additional support.
~Sharon Pinckney, SEL
Kathy Stump, Education Specialist
CLN#1 Monthly PLC-January 20
January Topic-Teaching Math in a Multi-grade Setting
For Resource & Self-Contained teachers who were not able to participate in the AU course for Math, this is an opportunity to provide an overview of the math instructional models and instructional strategies.
Location: Belmont Elementary (#217), 1406 N. Ellamont St, 21216
Time: 3:oopm - 4:30pm
Please register at the following link:http://goo.gl/forms/udSnGKC5Li
AU Course-"Teaching Literacy in Multiple Grade-Level Service Delivery Models"
Course Summary: Special Educators (resource and/or self-contained) will participate in DDIT professional development and activities in order to develop and implement collaborative lessons, modified instruction, and district interventions. Teachers will institute a modified Literacy instructional model. This model encompasses the Literacy Lesson Sets that will address multiple grade level service delivery models and specialized instruction; in order to guide small group instruction and intervention centers that will maximize the limited teacher directed instructional time.
*You must register for this course via PGS. Registration closes January 28th.*
East Side Location:#245 Lieth Walk 1235 Sherwood Avenue
Dates: 1/26, 2/9, 2/23, 3/8, 3/22
Time: 3:00pm to 6:00pm
West Side Location: #150 Mary Ann Winterling, 220 N. Bentalou Street
Dates: 1/28, 2/11, 2/25, 3/10, 3/24
Time: 3:00pm to 6:00pm
Peer visit for self-contained Middle School teachers will be held on January 20 & January 28
Elementary, January 25 & 29
Please contact Sharon Pinckney at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Case Management Reminders
● Special Educators with concerns accessing databases, please contact Ms. Pinckney (SEL).
● Any data cleansing case on a report for more than 10 days or more than 5 cases total identifies a school as a school of concern-please, before you get to this point email Kathy Stump for assistance or an explanation as to why the case is on data cleaning. This information Is reported weekly to the IEP Development Unit Coordinator and Executive Director of Specialized Services.
● ALL amendments require approval from Education Specialist-please email Kathy Stump when you need to make an amendment and wait for a response as to approval/next steps.
● PARCC -
- Reminder for students with Verbatim Reading there needs to be an Appendix-D uploaded in MDOIEP for students with this accommodation - please pay special attention to those students in third grade.
- IEP Chairs/Case managers need to pay close attention to current 3rd graders around the PARCC accommodations/Appendix D (if necessary) and that as the PARCC accommodations capture sheet, as this will assist them with completing the PNP when the time comes.
Based on the PARCC Accommodations Manual, students receiving certain accommodations (i.e. verbatim reading, calculation device) as an accommodation MUST be receiving a researched or evidence based intervention.
(see PARCC Accommodation Manual for further guidance)
Interventions can assist teachers in providing specialized instruction to students with disabilities, but they also are an excellent data source to use in creating present levels and in demonstrating student progress in both reading and mathematics.
If you need support with training or implementation, please contact Mrs. Pinckney (SEL).
1st & 2nd grade interim 2 for math is set to open; interim assessments are required to administered to ALL 1st & 2nd grade students.
After the diagnostic:
- Check for rushing in the Class Profile report. Look for the alert icon next to a student’s name
●Special Education teachers who do not have their own class in SMS are able to create Instructional Groups in I-Ready. This will allow you to have access to all students on your caseload for instructional & data analysis purposes. Please refer to the Teacher Resources Guide in I-Ready in the Resources tab. If you are experiencing difficulty, please contact Mrs. Pinckney (SEL) for support.
● ACCESS VALUABLE RESOURCES. SET UP YOUR PARCC ACCOUNT TODAY!
PARCC Resource Center Directions:
1. Navigate to the PRC (https://prc.parcconline.org/)
2. Click on the “Human” icon in the upper right of the PRC.
3. Click “create account”
4. Fill in the information required, marked with a “*” red asterisk.
PARCC member Code: MD1788
5. Click create a new account.
Community Learning Network #1-Special Education
Sharon Pinckney, Special Education Liaison, Instructional Leaders Sjpinckney@bcps.k12.md.us
Kath Stump, Education Specialist, Specialized Services, KLStump@bcps.k12.md.us