Let's visit Himeji Castle!
When visiting Japan you will want to visit well known historical places like Himeji Castle - a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
For this week's project you will examine a promotional tourism website geared for native Japanese speakers, much like websites or promotional materials you would find in Japan at visitor's centers.
For this project, do not use online resources like jisho.org or Rikaikun! The goal is to try to read and comprehend/understand the material on this website based on what you already know.
When you find kanji compounds you are not familiar with, try to see if you know at least one of the kanji and think about its meaning. Often, you may be able to get some idea of what a word means based on knowing even just one of its kanji.
Click on the website below to learn more about Himeji Castle.
- Open PowerPoint or another tool to create an audio visual presentation.
- The presentation will contain 5 slides with the 5 most interesting things you learned about Himeji Castle based on what you read on the website.
- For each sentence, choose an appropriate picture that helps you express your idea.
- Make an audio recording of you reading each fact.
- Listen to two of your classmates' presentations
- Leave a one sentence response post telling them one additional fact that is different from the 5 that they posted.
- You are preparing for a home stay with a family in Osaka. Write an email to your host family.
- In your e-mail, include the following: greeting, ask how they are doing, express your interest in Himeji Castle, tell them 2 facts you learned about it, ask your host family to visit Himeji Castle with you, closure.
- When writing, consider the full writing process of organizing your thoughts, catering to your audience and formulating your ideas for what you want to express.
How you will be evaluated:
- Create and post a presentation with 5 facts about Himeji Castle based on what you read on the website. For full credit, speak fluently and clearly with proper pronunciation and use correct grammar. (10 points)
- Respond to 2 classmates posts - Leave a one sentence response post telling them 1 additional fact the did not include in their presentation based on what was presented in the website. (2 points)
- Write an email to your host family with the criteria listed above (7 points)
- Assignment was completed by the due date. (1 point)
Maximum possible score: 20 points