Week of September 28th, 2015
Week of September 28th
- Character Meeting-3:30 Front Office Conference Room
- Staff Development Committee Meeting-3:30 Front Office Conference Room
- Hearing Screenings - Sign up on the work room door
- Kellison Cross Country Meet (5th-8:30, 4th-9:30, 3rd-10:30)
- BAS Data into Master Manager Due Date
- Custodial Appreciation Day
- Hat Day - $1 - All donations will be sent to the American Heart Association in Mr. Jim's name
- Dr. Knost's Visit to Kellison 8:30-11:00
- PSO Family Bowling at Show Me Lanes 2:00-4:00
A Look Forward - Week of October 5th
- Marshall the Miracle Dog - K, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Grade Assembly 8:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m.
- Fenton Fire Department - Beginning at 9:00
- PSO Executive Board Meeting at 6:45 p.m. - Library
- Walk to School Day
- Abilities Awareness Day - PIE Presentations - Schedule to Come Soon
- Coach Batcheller in PE Classes - 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- Dickens at RSHS for Meeting 9:30 a.m. -11:00 a.m.
- Safety & Wellness Committee - 3:30 p.m. in Office Conference Room
- A Crucial Catch Football Sales - $1 in the foyer
- A Crucial Catch Pink Out Football Game at RSHS
- Teacher's Assistant Meeting - 9:00 a.m. in Office Conference Room
- Walk for Autism 9:00 a.m.
Spread Your Colors
Staff Sparklight - Karen Jones
This week, Kellison Elementary is excited to feature our guidance counselor, Karen Jones, in our Staff Sparklight.
Mrs. Jones grew up in Ballwin and attended Parkway West High School. After high school, she attended Southwest Missouri State University, which is now Missouri State, and earned her degree in elementary education. Mrs. Jones did her student teaching at Kellison and then landed her first teaching position here, three weeks into the school year teaching sixth grade. Over the years, she has taught third, fourth, fifth and sixth grades before transitioning into counseling. Mrs. Jones has been at Kellison for 21 of her 24 years in education.
Mrs. Jones has been married to her husband, Adam, for 19 years. They have two children, Kaitlyn, who is 14 and a freshman at Rockwood Summit, and Jack, who is 11 and in Mrs. Soyster's fifth grade class at Kellison. The Jones Family also includes two spoiled pets, Jack's dog, Lucy and Kate's cat, Grace.
A Little More About Mrs. Jones
What did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was little I either wanted to be a waitress, teacher, or JCPenney catalog order taker. I went into education because my older sister told me I'd be a good teacher, so I went to college to get my degree and followed her to SMSU... I kind of idolized her!
What are you most proud of?
I think I'm creative and crafty. I enjoy creating things, such as scrapbooking, card-making, games, lessons, etc.
What makes you happy?
Helping others makes me happy. Being there for our kids makes my day- the smiles and the hugs! An evening just hanging out with my family is a perfect night- watching their sporting events or playing board games.
What is your favorite thing to do?
It's not a secret, my favorite thing to do is go to Disney. I love amusement parks and being with my family, but I enjoy the planning of the trip, too. We always drive, so I plan games and trivia for the kids to do for the ride. Getting there is half the fun!
What is your favorite Kellison memory?
I have numerous Kellison memories of kids, events and staff members, but one student/ family will always be in my heart. I've had many "little friends" that I have spent lots of time helping, but one young man won't be forgotten. The process to help him has been long and hard, but in the end Mom has thanked me many times for being his advocate and seeing the good in him. I was the only one he trusted.
Kellison Chili Cook-Off
Thursday, Oct. 15th, 12:30pm
1626 Hawkins Road
We hope to have local Fenton first responders stop by to taste test and judge our entries. After dismissal, we'll all come together to enjoy our entries for a chili lunch together.
Notes From Nurse Eli
Hearing Screenings are on 9/30/15 in the book room. Sign ups are on the work room door. We screen K, 1, 3, 5 and 2 & 4 kiddos who are new or have IEPs.
Flu Shot Clinic is on October 13 from 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM in the Library. Info regarding the shots and prices may be found at: http://www.rockwood.k12.mo.us/healthandsafety/Pages/FluVaccinations.aspx
Vision Van is on November 17, 2015. If you have a student whose vision you are concerned about, or a student with broken or missing glasses, please refer them to Nurse Eli.
As we begin to enter cold and flu season, please recall Rockwood guidelines regarding ill students staying home from school:
To reduce the spread of illness in our schools, we require students who are experiencing vomiting or diarrhea to stay home.
We also expect any student with a fever of 100 or higher to stay home until they have been fever-free for 24 hours or more, without the use of medication to reduce the fever.
Any unknown rashes are also a reason to stay home and consult your physician.