Oakwood Orchestra News
May 2015-6th Grade Edition
From Ms. Read
Can it really be May already?!? I want to start by saying how much I've enjoyed working with your students over the past two years. They have come so far and we are excited to show what they can do! May is a really busy of time of year so grab your calendars and here we go:
I want to take this opportunity to clarify the practice record procedure. Students are supposed to enter their practice time in the online system by Sunday AND turn in a parent signature slip as confirmation on Mondays. I only check Essential Elements Interactive if a student turns in their parent signature page. I record the student's grade and return the parent signature page to them so that they can use it again. We use the same parent signature page for the entire six weeks.
Parent signature sheets are due on Monday but I accept them on Tuesday with no penalty per the school's policy. Starting Wednesday, the highest grade a student can make is a 60.
If you experience computer trouble and your student is unable to record their practice online, please have them record what they practiced and for how long on a piece of paper. They can turn in the paper with their parent signature slip and still receive full credit.
You can find extra copies of the practice record attached to the email and on the orchestra website under practice records.
April 28-30: AMCMS Chamber Auditions during orchestra class
- Students who are continuing orchestra at AMCMS have an opportunity to audition for the Chamber Orchestra during class next week. Unlike Oakwood, the orchestras at AMCMS are split based on performances skills rather than grade level. The two orchestra are Philharmonic and Chamber. Participation in the Philharmonic orchestra is open to any student that has completed 6th grade orchestra. Chamber orchestra is by audition only.
May 1: Scale Karate Ends
- Students are required to memorize 4 scales and play them off by May 1st.
May 5: String Drive 2015 @ 4-9 pm @ AMCHS
- I need some volunteers to help with this year's String Drive. I need parents to help direct traffic, answer questions, and supervise the instrument petting zoo. Please let me know if you are interested in volunteering for any amount of time!
May 6: Trip Balance Due
May 11: After School Rehearsal @ 3:50-5:15 pm @ Oakwood
- This will be our last after school rehearsal for the year. Please make arrangements to pick your child up at 5:15.
May 12: Spring Concert @ 7 pm @ AMCMS Gym
- Tune @ 6:30 pm @ AMCMS Band Hall
- Uniform: Polo, black pants/skirt, black socks/hose, and black dress shoes
May 20: Trip to Seguin (All Day)
- We are finalizing the schedule and I will be sending it out soon.
- If you've not done so already, please complete the online medical form on the orchestra website.
- I still need a few parents who are willing to chaperone. Chaperones will ride the buses with us, help supervise the students at the park, be the audience for our performance, and help round kids up at the end of the day.