Pirate Cove Connection
PES Media Center News - February 2018
#LibraryLove #PESPirateCove #WeLoveBooks
Bubble Gum Days - January 30 - February 9
Students can also access Bubble Gum Books from home on MackinVia by clicking this link Bubble Gum Books. If you would like to try out some fun Bubble Gum Activities click here. The link below will take you to our library catalog collection to see all our books and e-books about Bubble Gum.
February Media Class Schedule
Paws for Books Book Fair - March 12 -20
A Wrinkle In Time Challenge for 3rd-5th Grade
Have you heard of the Newbery Award winning book A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L'Engle? A new movie version of the book is coming out in early March. The movie trailer is posted below. The PES challenge is to read the book and pass an AR test. Students who accomplishes this goal will be entered into a contest for two tickets to see the movie and a brag tag! We have about 25 copies of the book in the library. Come check out yours and take the challenge. The Deadline is March 2.
What will we be learning in media this month?
- Bubble Gum Fun, Facts and Fiction - Pop the Inventor of Bubble Gum, Trouble Gum. How its Made - Bubble Gum, The Gum Chewing Rattler, Kahoot Games and Trivia
- What do you love about the library? Join the conversation! Share your heart.
- Digital Citizenship - Digital Passport and Net Smartz Kids
- Digital Etiquette - BrainPop will teach us how to have good Netiquette
- Pictures - Do they appeal to you and do they make the story better?
- Plot/Theme/Subject - Does the topic of the story make you think or teach a lesson? Do you and other children like the topic of the story?
- Characters - Can you relate to the characters? Are the characters funny or appealing in some way?
- Author/Illustrator - Does the author have a reputation for good books? Do you like other books by that author?
- Douglas You Need Glasses - how one dog learns he needs to get glasses
- Ida Always - sad, but based on a true story of two polar bears at the NYC Zoo
- Memoirs of a Parrot - a parrot and his new owner learn to speak each others language
MackinVia Ebooks for Valentines Day
Our Numbers for January 2018
Number of Books Checked Out - 3,483
Number of E-books Viewed - 512 views
Number of Classes - 101
Number of Magazines Checked-out - 70
Most Check-outs by a Student - Cheyenne S -18
Class with the Most Check-outs - Mrs. Ledford - 131
Most Check-outs by a Teacher - Mrs. Edwards - 51
AR Goal Deadline is March 15
Volunteer Profiles - Meet Audrey
App of the Month - TeachingBooks.net
St. Johns' Families Have Access
TeachingBooks.net is an easy-to-use website that adds a multimedia dimension to the reading experiences of children's and young adult books. The online database is developed and maintained to include thousands of resources about fiction and nonfiction books used in the K–12 environment, with every resource selected to encourage the integration of multimedia author and book materials into reading and library activities. The password for students and parents is stjohnsfl.
Birthday Book Club
The Palencia Elementary School Media Center’s Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to commemorate your child’s birthday. Your participation not only enriches the library collection but allows you and your child to be personally involved in its growth.
To take part in the Birthday Book Club donate one new undamaged hardback book. This book should be a book that your child enjoys and one that we don’t have in the media center already. You can choose a new book at the book store or a new book from the Book Fair. A quick check of our library catalog (Destiny) will tell you if we already have the book. If you would prefer, you may make a monetary donation of $15 and your child can choose from recently acquired books that are waiting to be put on the shelves. For more information, contact the media center.