L.O. Donald Staff Newsletter
Positive Classroom Climate
For the next few weeks our newsletter will focus on effective teacher-student interactions that support social and cognitive development. These are taken the CLASS observation tool. The first is Positive Climate.
What is it?In classrooms with a strong positive climate, teachers and children are enthusiastic about learning and respectful of one another. Teachers and students develop warm, supportive relationships with each other and clearly enjoy being together and spending time in the classroom.
Why is it important?
Children are more motivated to learn when they feel happy, relaxed, and connected to others. They get more out of lessons when they are excited about participating. When the the classroom climate is positive, teachers and students enjoy being with each other and are able to get the most out of their time together.
Indicators of Positive Climate
- physical proximity
- shared activities
- peer assistance
2. Positive Affect
3. Positive Communication
- verbal affection and praise
- positive expectations
- eye contact
- warm, calm voice
- respectful language
How can I create a more positive climate in my classroom?
- Look for opportunities to make everyday learning activities fun.
- Show your enthusiasm. Make sure your students know you enjoy your job and being with them.
- Make positive comments about their efforts in your classroom. Warmly greet your students each day. Tell them you are happy to see them.
- Take time to find out and ask them about what is important to them. Listen when they share about something exciting in their lives.
- Be respectful. Use their names when you talk to them and model the use of polite language, such as please, thank you, and you're welcome.
- Encourage them to be positive with one another. Teach and model the importance of sharing, helping others, and being respectful.
You do an incredible job of creating positive classroom climates. It is noticed and appreciated, not just by me, but by the parents and every visitor to Donald. Great work!
You are the difference-makers!
Monday, February 8, 2016
- 8:00-3:00 DDI Reading K-2 - V. Alvarado, E. Sherley, D. Strong, A. Tyler, A. Garza, P. Plummer, S. Phillips, H. Williams & K. Carter
- 3:15-4:30 Writing Team Scoring Party! in the PLC room
- 3:15-4:30 PD: Involving Parents in the Equation in the library - math teachers
Tuesday, February 9, 2016
- 8:00-3:00 DDI Reading & Writing 3-5 - M. Crossland, M. Donaire, L. Green, N. Saez, J. Bustamante, H. Williams & K. Carter
- 8:30-12:00 KFP Math CIC training - J. Johnson
- 8:00-12:00 Test Coordinator Training - V. Davis & N. Hagler
- 2:00-4:00 District-wide Counselors' meeting - N. Hagler
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
- 8:00-3:00 DDI Math K-2 - G. Barron, D. Strong, E. Sherley, E. Gomez, T. Cypull, G. Flores, P. LeBlanc, J. Johnson & V. Davis
- 9:30-10:30 On-Campus field trip: A Visit from Harriet Tubman - 3rd grade
- 2:00-4:00 Mid-Year LPAC training - K. Carter
- 3:30-4:00 Staff ZUMBA! in the gym
- 4:00-6:00 Two-Way Dual Language meeting - K. Carter
Thursday, February 11, 2016
- 8:00-3:00 DDI Math K-2 - G. Barron, D. Strong, E. Gomez, T. Cypull, G. Flores, P. LeBlanc, J. Johnson & V. Davis
- 8:50-9:40 PLC Lesson Plan Feedback - 2nd grade
- 9:45-10:35 PLC Lesson Plan Feedback - Kindergarten
- 10:40-11:30 PLC Lesson Plan Feedback - 1st grade
- 12:05-12:55 PLC Lesson Plan Feedback - 3rd grade
- 1:00-1:50 PLC Lesson Plan Feedback - 4th grade
- 1:55-2:45 PLC Lesson Plan Feedback - 5th grade
- 1:30-3:30 Brighter Bites
- 3:15-4:00 After-School Tutoring
- 3:15-4:45 Girls Scouts in the auditorium
Friday, February 12, 2016
- Book Fair!!!
- 8:30-12:00 KFP RLA CIC training - H. Williams
- 9:00-4:00 Focus School training at Region 10 - K. Carter
- 9:00-2:00 5th grade field trip: Perot Museum
- 9:30-1:30 3rd grade field trip: New Spain Orchestra
- 2:30-2:55 Valentines' Day Exchanges
Saturday, February 13, 2016
- NO Saturday School
- BOOK FAIR!!!!
- 2/15 Presidents' Day - Student & Staff Holiday
- 2/16 Class Picture Day
- 2/17 Districtwide Principals' meeting - K. Carter
- 2/18 KFP Principals' meeting - K. Carter
- 2/18 Brighter Bites
- 2/18 Campus Leadership Team meeting
- 2/18 PTO Meeting & Performance
- 2/19 End of 4th Six Weeks
Thank You & Great Job! to:
- PK & Kinder teams for organizing an exciting and fun 100 Days of School celebration!
- Coaches Johnson and Williams for providing leadership, assessments, data analysis for the common assessments.
- Ms. Crossland, Ms. Ortiz, Ms. Ruiz for the fabulous African American history displays in the main hallway.
- Our TAs for updating and creating beautiful and instructional bulletin boards!
2016 Spring ACP Film Festival
L.O. Donald 2015-16 Goals
- 80% of students will meet the passing standard on STAAR reading/math in grades 3-5.
- 80% of students will meet the passing standard on STAAR writing in grade 4.
- 85% of students will meet the passing standard on STAAR science in grade 5.
- 80% of students will perform on or above grade level on the Iowa/Logramos K-2