Mrs. Drew's Weekly Update
4th grade: Week of 5/2
This week in 4th grade...
- Language Arts: The students finished their final Literacy Circle assignments! We also added a new fluency strategy (using punctuation to increase prosody) to our CAFE menu. In Grammar, the kids worked on subject/verb agreement, concrete/abstract nouns, and common/proper nouns. In writing, the students wrote thoughtful letters to soldiers for Operation Gratitude.
- Social Studies: We continued our studies of government. This week we discussed the role of each branch in local, state, and national government. We also began discussing the responsibilities of citizens.
- Science: We've expanded our knowledge of Soils, Rocks, and Landforms by learning about erosion and deposition. The students conducted experiments using stream tables to determine how slope and floods impacted erosion and deposition.
- Math: We concluded chapter 12 on volume, mass, elapsed time, capacity, and weight. Our test is next week on Tuesday.
Next week in 4th grade...
- Language Arts: Wordly Wise; take Literacy Circle test
- Social Studies: dive further into government unit, work on capitols- Students may use this link to practice:http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/USA_Geography/USA_Caps_1_1024.html
- Science: continue unit on soils, rocks, and land forms (focus on rock identification)
- Math: begin chapter 13 on fractions
- May 8th (S): Happy Mother's Day!
- May 9th (M): No School; Professional Development Day (Camp Offered)
- May 13th (F): Hat day
- May 17th (T): Cedar River Watershed Field trip (Looking for 1 parent volunteer to come along. Please email if interested.)
- May 20th (F): Twinning Day
- May 23rd (M): 4th grade leads Launch assembly
- May 27th (F): Red, White, Blue Day
- May 23rd-27th: CTP testing week
- May 30th (M): No School: Memorial Day (No Camp)
Happy Mother's Day
Dear 4th grade Mothers,
Thank you so much for everything you do. Your love and care is so evident and instrumental in your child's life. I'm thankful for each of you, and you have kids who love you so much! :)