2017-2018 Parent Newsletter
October 27, 2017 - Issue #12
- Ms. De Silva
- Mrs. Rowin
- Mrs. Outlaw
- Ms. Field
Our school-wide total is 200!
Grade Level Totals:
First Grade: 0
Second Grade: 50
Third Grade: 50
Monday was the first day of the second nine weeks, which means we have a new campus goal and reward. If our campus earns at least 4000 Golden Tickets on or before January 12th, we will have a Pajama and Furry Friend day!
REPORT CARDS WENT HOME IN FRIDAY FOLDERS!
Pumpkin Character Gallery Walk is Tuesday, October 31st
Here is the schedule for the Gallery Walk:
- 8:30-9:00: PPCD, PK, and Kindergarten
- 9:15-9:45: 1st Grade
- 10:00-10:30: 2nd Grade
- 10:45-11:15: 3rd Grade
A few pumpkins have already started coming in and they look fantastic! We can't wait to see how cute the pumpkins turned out.
Perfect Attendance and Honor Roll Recognition
From the LVES Student Handbook, page 71:
"Students who leave early will not be eligible for recognition for perfect attendance, unless a doctor’s note is provided excusing the early dismissal from school."
If you have any questions, please contact Veronica Fidencio at email@example.com.
Students in Kindergarten through 3rd grade will be recognized for Perfect Attendance. Third grade students will be recognized for Honor Roll.
Cooler Weather is Finally Here!
Back Door Closes at 7:45 am
2017 Bond Election Information
- The amount of bond is $2.9 million.
- Will taxes increase? No, the tax rate will remain the same $1.32
- What is the bond for? HVAC replacements, transportation needs, technology needs, maintenance equipment, and service road repair.
- How long will it take to pay off the bond? The bond will be paid off in 6 years.
- Will we have to send any of the bond money back to the state? No, LVISD will be able to keep 100% of the money.
Write The Check Fundraiser
Thank you to the following families/businesses for their contribution to the WRITE THE CHECK CAMPAIGN:
- Richardson Family
- Norman Family
- Dun Family
- Lassites Family
- Melendez Family
- Pence Family
- Fox Family
- Rodriguez Family
- Wesselman Family
- Gilbert Family
- Vaughn Family
- Emerie Custom Homes
- Smith Family
- Griffiths Family
- Lawless Family
- Everett Family
- St. Martin Family
- Gerwick Family
- Gonzales Family
- Preece Family
- Parsons Family
- Pennington Family
- Makowichuk Family
Fall Festival News
Wristbands are still on sale! Discounted prices are no longer available, but you can still purchase tickets for $12 (ages 4 and up) and $7 (3 and under). Don't miss out...buy your wristbands today!
Committee Volunteers are now needed – if interested, please email Becky Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yearbook orders are flying in! We have a limited supply this year. Click the link below to place your order quickly and at ease. Don’t delay or you may miss out this school year!
*CLICK: Order below*
School code: 13030118 OR enter Texas, Lago Vista.
Email your yearbook picture submissions to email@example.com with a subject title. On a time crunch? Email the address above and we will provide a dropbox link to drop to the photos to. Another alternative is to text the photos, please email for phone number.
We are currently looking for the following pictures: Meet the teacher, 1st day of school, random school/lunch pictures, Pep Rallies, football/sport player classroom meeting, Running of the Vikings, Viking Spirit Friday's, college Wednesdays, crazy sock day, crazy hair day, neon day, pajama day, grandparents lunch, Watch DOG, upcoming photo opportunities: Fall festival, Red Ribbon week and pumpkin gallery walk. Keep us in mind through out the year when creating memories, send them our way! Thank you!
Any questions regarding yearbook should be sent to LVESyearbook@gmail.com
Yearbook Cover Contest
The deadline for the yearbook cover contest deadline has been extended until Friday, November 3rd! If you would like to submit a drawing for the contest, here are the guidelines:
- Theme: Sail Into Learning. Think nautical theme.
- Guidelines: Open to 3rd grade students only. Keep with in the theme listed above. Use your imagination and be creative! Must be on 8.5 x 11 paper, one side only, MUST contain the title ‘Sail Into Learning’ somewhere within the design. May use marker, colored pencils, crayons, pastels, paints, letter stickers, construction paper or other textured looks on top of the 8.5 x 11 paper ie: computer paper. NOTE: Please keep the look flat enough that it can be scanned on a scanner to the computer). Entire piece must be done by a LVES 3rd grader. Artist may autograph his/her artwork in bottom right corner. On the back please legibly write first and last name, followed by teacher’s name in pencil.
- Deadline: All entries must be submitted by Friday, October 20th. Return to the teacher or submit to front office.
- The 1st place winner’s artwork will appear on the front cover of the 2017-2018 LVES Yearbook! The winner will also receive a FREE softcover copy of the yearbook.
If you have any questions about the yearbook cover contest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch DOGS of the Week
- Monday, October 30th: OPEN
- Tuesday, October 31st: Rick Quinones
- Wednesday, November 1st: OPEN
- Thursday, November 2nd: OPEN
- Friday, November 3rd: Scott Makowichuk
If you would like to be a Watch DOG at LVES, please contact Mr. Holt (email@example.com) for more information.
COLLEGE DAY IS EVERY WEDNESDAY...WEAR YOUR FAVORITE COLLEGE SHIRT!
First graders sign the Red Ribbon Pledge
Kindergarten students sign the Red Ribbon Pledge
3rd Graders show respect for themselves and some Blue and Gold Viking spirit on Team Up Against Drugs day
Ms. Jillian Field - 3rd Grade Teacher
1. Where are you from originally?
Born in Provo, Utah, but grew up in Southern California.
2. What led you to become a teacher and how long have you been teaching?
A friend's mom was a kindergarten teacher and I loved going to her class and helping out. Teaching was all I ever wanted to do. I have been teaching for 15 years.
3. Tell us about your family...
I live with my fiancée and two sons. My parents and brother also moved here from California.
4. What are your favorite hobbies?
Scrapbooking and watching my boys play sports.
5. What was your first job?
Scooping ice cream at Baskin Robbins.
6. What is your favorite part about your job?
Being able to instill a love for learning in my students as well as building relationships and getting to know each of them.
Mrs. Kimberly Latham-Whitehead - Nurse
This is my 2nd year with Lago Vista, I was the school nurse at Jim Plain Elementary before coming home to Lago.
2. Where are you from originally?
I was born in Coryell Memorial Hospital in Gatesville, the last baby born before the hospital closed. I was raised in Hamilton, Texas.
3. Tell us about your family...
I have 4 wonderful children - Joshua 22, Dub 20, Victoria 19, Emmalee 8, and a grand daughter that is 1. My awesome husband Jacob and I live here with Emma while every one else is off growing up.
4. What are your favorite hobbies?
We spend most of our time on the lake boating with friends and family, fishing, watching movies, riding bikes, traveling, watching the Cowboys and watching Emma grow.
5. What is your favorite part of your job?
The best parts of my job are watching the kids as the grow and change each year, and knowing I get to help make a difference in their lives. I get to help them stay safe as they learn and grow - what an honor that is.
Character Trait of the Month - Respect
- Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule;
- Be tolerant and accepting of differences;
- Use good manners, not bad manners;
- Be considerate of the feelings of others;
- Don't threaten, hit or hurt anyone;
- Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements.
Students will learn more about Respect in Guidance with Mrs. Sexton!
Hello LVES Families! This has been a fun month of learning about Respect, and ending the month with Red Ribbon Week and helping the kids understand what self-respect is and making good choices has been especially rewarding. The Red Ribbon Week activities are meant to be fun reminders for the kids to do these things, and at the young elementary level we mainly focus on understanding that there is a difference between good and bad drugs, making good choices, and doing your best to live a healthy, drug-free life. Our staff really appreciates you supporting our efforts in teaching our students the importance of having good character, doing the right thing, and showing respect to themselves and others!
“Perhaps the surest test of an individual's integrity is his refusal to do or say anything that would damage his self-respect.” ~Thomas S. Monson
Weekly Attendance Goal
Weekly Attendance for week of October 26th:
- 95.86%- We did not meet our goal again this week, but will we did increase again from last week!
Grade Level Totals:
PPCD: 95% - WOW! Exceeded our weekly goal - way to go!!
Kindergarten: 97.25% - Fantastic job - met our weekly goal!
First Grade: 95.82%
Second Grade: 94.75%
Third Grade: 96.91% - Great job - met our weekly goal!
LVES Front Office Hours
Lago Vista Elementary PTO Facebook
Christine Harris, Administrative Assistant
Registration and Attendance:
Veronica Fidencio, Registrar/Attendance Clerk
Student Emotional Support:
Amy Sexton, Counselor
Kimberly Latham-Whitehead, School Nurse
Discipline and School Improvement:
Michelle Jackson, Principal
Eric Holt, Assistant Principal
Bus Routes and Transportation:
Jay Powell, Director of Transportation
(512) 267-8300, ext. 1508
Mark Your Calendars...
- October 31st: Pumpkin Character Gallery Walk
- November 1st: Perfect Attendance (K-3) and Honor Roll (3rd Grade) Recognition during lunches
- November 1st: PTO Meeting, 5:00 pm in Community Room
- November 2nd: CEIC Meeting, 3:15 pm in Community Room
- November 2nd: GT Field Trip
- November 3rd: Fall Festival, 5:30-7:30 pm
- November 3rd: Yearbook Cover Contest ends
- November 8th: "Hey Dude, I Like Your Shoes" Parent Workshop, 6:30-7:30 pm at LVHS PAC
- November 8th: Title 1 Parent Meeting, 5:30-6:15 at LVHS MAC
- November 10th: Football Players and Cheerleaders visit
- November 10th: Kindergarten to LVHS Pep Rally
- November 16th: Thanksgiving Lunch for PK, Kinder, 2nd Grades
- November 17th: Thanksgiving Lunch for PPCD, 1st, 3rd Grades
- November 20th-24th: THANKSGIVING BREAK