an early literacy newsletter from Coos Bay Public Library
Mother Goose Online
We miss the babies terribly! As we are all settling in to new routines, don't forget that you are your child's first and most important teacher. We may not be able to have Mother Goose on the Loose at the library for a while, but you can do it at home! Please check out our 4-part MGOL Online series, and visit https://www.coosbaylibrary.org/research-learn/learn/early-literacy for more information about early literacy.
Mother Goose Online (Shakers)
We are mailing items to patrons with 97420 or 97407 zip codes. To receive these staff picks or any other books/media in the mail, place holds through your library account. Don't have a library account? Call us! We can help: 541-269-1101.
Build Skills Every Day
Little interactions every day can add up to a BIG foundation for learning.
- Talk: Getting dressed can be fun! Help the race cars (feet), zoom through the tunnels (pant legs). Or are they rabbits? The left rabbit (left foot), goes into the left burrow (left pant leg), and his neighbor goes into the right burrow! What else can you try?
- Sing: Do you have a favorite hand washing song? You can find one in our Mother Goose Online videos.
- Read: Picture books aren't just for little ones. Even older children and grown ups can relax and destress with a book from this list.
- Write: Grab the chalk and head outside! Draw a curvy road on the sidewalk for toy cars to follow.
- Play: Build a tower and knock it down! You can stack just about anything - blocks, rocks, or even... BOOKS!
Dolly Parton Imagination Library
Thanks to Dolly Parton and other generous donors, every child under the age of five living in Coos County is eligible to receive a free book every month in the mail! Do you have a child/children under five? Do you live in Coos County? Fill out this registration form and turn it in to your local public library. Then get your bookshelf ready ;)