Called to More @ OLA
Week of October 11, 2021
Saint of the Month
Blessed Carlo Acutis is a Saint in the making!
Learning about our Saints
We can pray to saints to help us.
They are so close to God that he has given them the ability to help us directly.
Visit from Father Tomasz
Grade 4 Bible Presentation Mass with Father Carlos
This Week @ OLA
October is Read in Month
Monday, October 11
- Thanksgiving Day - No School
Tuesday, October 12
- An awesome day to answer the "Call to More"
Wednesday, October 13
- Virtual Announcements
Thursday, October 14
- Smile! Picture Day - T/Th Kindergarten and Grade 1 - 4
- T/Th Kindergarten Teachers Pet Field Trip
Friday, October 15
- M/W Kindergarten Teachers Pet In-Class Field Trip
- Today and every day, we answer the "Call to More!"
Sunday, October 17
- 12-3pm OLA Playground Fundraising Bottle Drive @ OLA bus lane - drive thru & drop off!
Are Yours Completed?
Did you know that if your child's Annual Low-Risk Field Trip form is not completed, they are unable to go on an off-site field trip with their class?
Did you know that if you're child's annual Technology Use Agreement form or One-to-One Use Agreement are not completed, they may be unable to access OLA's technology or wifi?
Do you love seeing evidence of your child learning and growing at OLA? Make sure you complete the annual FOIPP forms.
Thank you for taking a moment to log onto your PowerSchool Parent Portal account to complete the forms. If you have any questions, Mrs. Susan Desaulniers is our PowerSchool Guru and is delighted to help. Please contact her at 780-998-3716.
For more information about these annual forms, please click here.
Lost and Found Masks
Please remember it is very important to send your child to school with a mask everyday. They also should be coming with an extra one (or a few) in their backpack in case they get lost, dirty or broken during the day.
We have a limited supply of masks in the office. We will be keeping track of the students that return to the office for multiple masks. The first visit the student will receive a paper mask, the second visit the student will receive a re-useable mask with their name written in it. The third visit we will inform you and add a $5.00 fee to PowerSchool accounts and supplying them with a re-usable mask.
If you are missing some re-useable masks please have your child stop by our lost and found box across from the office. All these masks have been thoroughly washed at school before they are hung on the lost and found box. Thank you Mrs. Gordon for picking up and cleaning the masks.
2K - Science
Learning Numbers in French with Mme
2K Leaf Animal Art
2K - Read in Month - Mrs. Dul
Poster Contest: Sherritt 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Calendar
Last year, three OLA students were featured in Sherritt's first-ever Diversity & Inclusion Calendar...maybe it will be YOU this year!
Sherritt’s Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) team is looking for artwork from both employees’ children or grandchildren, and children from Fort Saskatchewan schools depicting what they feel a diverse and inclusive community and workplace looks like. We will select 12 pieces to be displayed in a 2022 D&I calendar to be distributed to all Sherritt employees, and the artists of the selected works will receive a $100 Indigo gift card.
We’re welcoming all artwork submissions from children in grades K-9, whether drawings, paintings, print collages, or other flat-form landscape formats, that show what diversity and inclusion means to them. Any written content on the artwork should be complementary and less than 25 words.
All submissions must be original, landscape, on 8.5x11 paper, and include the artist’s name, grade (or age), and parent’s name and phone number on the back.
By submitting an art piece, you are consenting to have it published in a calendar that will be distributed to all Sherritt employees and the winners of selected artwork. Selection is up to the discretion of the Sherritt’s D&I committee, with winners chosen on or before November 12th, 2021, and calendars distributed December 15th–31st, 2021.
Please have all submissions at the OLA office on or before Thursday, October 20, 2021.
Welcome Volunteers...and October is Read-In Month!
The engagement of parents in their child's education is an integral element to the learning success of children. We are looking forward to welcoming back this partnership in a fashion that ensures the continued health and safety of our OLA community.
Together, we've got this!
As mentioned in previous newsletters, we are excited to welcome volunteers and guest speakers to OLA beginning this month. We will do this together, in a pre-arranged fashion that is initiated and confirmed by OLA staff or School Council and connected to a specific duration for a purposeful task.
- October is Read-In Month!! Usually it's a week, but at OLA we feel that Literacy and a love of reading is SO important, we make it a WHOLE month! If you are interested in reading to your child's class either virtually or in person, please contact your child's teacher to offer dates/times you are available to read this month. We encourage you to bring and read a book you love or loved to read. When a parent reads to a class virtually, it opens the door for a Mystery Reader! Children ask questions, and parents answer by typing in the chat, to see if they can guess who you are. If you are interested in offering to be a Mystery Reader (and it means answering any questions kids may ask....:-) Then please share that with your child's teacher too. Let's make reading fun, together!!
Through pre-arranged in-person volunteering, the following will be expected:
- Complete the Daily Screening Checklist
- Volunteers are recommended to be fully vaccinated
- Sign-in at the office and acknowledge completion of the Daily Screening Checklist.
- Wear a volunteer badge at all times. This indicates to staff and students that you have completed the checklist, signed-in at the office, and are at the school for a specific pre-arranged purpose.
- Maintain social distancing at much as possible with staff and students.
- Be present at the for the scheduled duration of the volunteering time
- Follow all masking, hand hygiene and hand hygiene protocols
Dropping off or picking up children, lunches or items will continue in the same fashion, and our exterior doors will remain secured.
Should you have any questions, please contact Mme Gravelle at 780-998-3716.
Volunteering in our Library Learning Commons
holding the wellness of our community
As such, we are making some adjustments to classroom environments such as adding more tables to create additional space for children and offer more opportunities for safe spaces to remove their masks when completing individual learning tasks, should children choose to remove their masks when working independently. Additionally, adjustments to how we use our classrooms, such as maximizing flexible seating, allows for additional space for optimal learning.
Thank you for your patience as we navigate this transition time with the continual commitment to hold together the educational needs of staff and children and their wellness.
If you have any questions, thank you for connecting with Mme Gravelle at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the school at 780-998-3716.
Attendance Reporting Procedures
1-877-246-9970 or leave a message on our voice mail. Attendance Reporting Procedures
A reminder for all families that the AHS Daily Assessment needs to be completed and actioned each morning prior to coming to school. If your child is experiencing symptoms and therefore staying at home, please select the following absence codes:
“other illness or injury” If they are experiencing symptoms that you do not deem to be flu-like, or your child has a medical appointment.
“parent excused.” If your child is experiencing no symptoms at all, please choose this. The parent excused absence should only be chosen if you are keeping your child home for a reason that does not pertain to a medical issue. (i.e dance competition)
Questions? Please feel free to contact us at the school. We are happy to navigate through absences with you.
Dress Like your Favourite Story Book Character
Chair: Heather Spracklin
Co-Chair: Katie Bosse
Secretary: Terra Slaby
Treasurer: Crystal Breault
They are excited to serve our amazing OLA community and they invite you to join them for their next virtual OLA School Council Meeting on Thursday, November 18 at 7:00pm. Mark your calendars!
All parents are invited to attend the School Council meetings and as an OLA parent, you are already a member of the committee! Looking forward to seeing you there!
OLA is getting another Playground? Hooray!!
As some of you found out at OLA's School Council meeting, OLA is getting a new playground!! This new playground will be designed with elementary students in mind.
Please join us virtually at our Playground Society meeting Tuesday, October 19th @ 7pm. (Link to be sent out the morning of the meet)
We will be discussing topics such as:
- What OLA families would like to see in a playground
- Factors to consider in deciding what the playground budget should be
- Fundraising goals and ideas
- Our expected timeline
Come have your say, we would love to hear your thoughts.
Get to know the Fort Saskatchewan Catholic Schools Playground Society (FSCSPS) Executive
Vice-Chair- Amber Eastman
Secretary- Vera Mazarak
Treasurer- Barbara Lemmens
Fundraising Begins...Bottle Drive!
DRIVE THRU BOTTLE DRIVE
Come bring us your bottles to help us raise funds for our new playground build!
Sunday, October 17th 12- 3 PM
Our Lady of the Angels School - 9622 Sherridon Drive
Pull up in the bus lane with your bottle donation, and we will take care of the rest!
Kindergarten - Apple Study Days Apple centres, Apple tasting and Apple sauce making.
Looking Further Ahead...
October 18 - 22
- Bus Safety Week
- PD Day - No School
- 7:00pm Playground Meeting (virtual)
- Evidence of your Child's Learning so far this year, coming home this week
- Halloween Party & Celebrations - details to come
November 1 - 5
- Prayer Labyrinth at OLA
- Virtual Three Way Conferences 5-8pm
- Early Dismissal - 2:19pm
November 8 - 12
- Fall Break - School Closed
- Picture Day M/W Kindergarten and retakes for Grade 1 - 4
- 7:00pm OLA School Council Meeting (virtual) - All parents are invited!
Grade 1 & 2 Fire Safety Presentation
Our Garden! Our Soup!
1P Author Visit - Sue Farrell Holler
3V Learning - Art & Science
Providing a continuum of care to women and children seeking refuge from abusive situations.