Second Grade Rock Stars
Next on tour: Upcoming Events
Coming on Tour Soon:
- 05/16: NWEA Testing and Assessments begin
- 05/20: Spirit Day: Mix and Match Clothing Day
- 05/20: WAVE Board Game Night in the cafeteria at 6:30-8:00 pm
- 05/21: Goin' for Owen Cystic Fibrosis Walk at Raley Field
- 05/23: Last Day to order RiverCats tickets for the 06/05 game. Use promo code WCS. (Click Here for the flyer and more information)
- 05/25: Open House on Del Paso
- 05/27: Logging of volunteer hours collected at 5:00 pm. (Here is a flyer to explain. Go to Volunteer Builder to record any hours your have. Meetings with me count!)
- 06/02: WAVE Board Meeting at 6:30 pm
- 06/03: Second Grade Poetry Slam at 5:00 pm
- 06/05: Westlake Charter RiverCats game at 1:00 pm (order your tickets by 5/23)
- 06/06: BASE Summer Orientation 6:15-7:15 pm
- 06/08: GLEE Concert in the cafeteria at 6:00 pm
- 06/09: WCS Board Meeting at 6:30 on Pebblewood Campus
- 06/15: Last Day of School - Field Day
Goin' for Owen
Join on May 21st at Raley Field to walk and show support for those living with Cystic Fibrosis! Cystic fibrosis is a life-threatening, genetic disease that affects approximately 30,000 people in the United States, including Owen. Research and care supported by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation continue to make a difference in the life of Owen and others living with CF.
The Great Strides walk on May 21st promises to be a family-friendly fun day that includes at least a dozen mascots, running the bases, lunch, and other fun activities. To learn more about the walk check out the video above and click on the links below
Join TEAM OWEN and Walk on May 21st!
Our Highlights: What We've Been Rockin' At!
We have been hard at work learning about our animal and other endangered animals. We have been finishing up research on our animals, coming up with solutions to help fix the problems that are causing them to be endangered and we will be working on our PSA scripts and video storyboards this week. We can wait to make some short PSA movies! These Rockstars are truly problem solvers and critical thinkers; I am so proud of the progress they have made and the growth they continue to have! Quite a collection of difference makers here!
We have also been sharpening our persuasive skills, making sure that we have supporting evidence to support our claims, and also learning about strategies that poets use (like alliteration, repetition, and onomatopoeia). These writers are beginning to blossom!
In math, we have been reviewing measurement and learning about 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional shapes. We've been comparing them, noticing the sides and angles of 2-dimensional shapes, while looking at the faces, edges, and vertices or 3-dimensional shapes. Students are making connections between the shapes and really grasping the difference between why they are "2-dimensional" and why they are "3-dimensional." We will be making shape monsters this week!
Parking Lot Changes
A new parking lot campaign is about to begin on May 23rd to encourage a quicker dismissal and wait time for parents. To help, please make sure to do the following...
- Let your child know where they are going after school. (BASE, walking or car pick-up). If this changes for some reason, call the school office at (916) 567-5760
- Pick up will happen in front of the school (no longer in second-grade classrooms) during regular dismissal time. Car pick-up will remain the same and students going to BASE will be sent to BASE at the end of dismissal.
Rockin' and Rollin' into Next Week!
Reading: Poetry and finishing up Book Clubs
Writing: Persuasive Writing and Poetry
Language: Root words, prefixes, suffixes, and figurative language (alliteration, metaphors, similes, etc.)
Theme: Endangered Animals and Advocacy (focus on advocacy these coming weeks)
Questions to ask your Rock Star...
- What is causing your animal to be endangered?
- What solutions have you come up with so far?
- What do you like about poetry? What is your favorite poet's strategy to use?
- How are 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional shapes different?
- Can you answer the Math Monday problem? CLICK HERE to get to it each week! Remember to answer in a complete sentence. Extra points for explaining what strategy you used!