ETHICS IN OUR WORLD - GOOD & BAD
DELL VS. APPLE
Listen, Learn, Deliver
Dell is committed to deliver services, solutions and products to customers that need technological help with businesses and personal life
GOOD = DELL
- Design for the environment
- better material ch.oices
- energy efficient
- environmental standards
2. Reducing Impact
3. Green Packaging and Shipping
- creative packaging design
- reduce size of package
- Innovative materials (natural resources: bamboo, mushroom, wheat straw)
4. Reducing Footprints
GIVING BACK TO THE COMMUNITY
1. Youth Learning
- work with communities and non-profit organizations to close learning gap
2. Children's Cancer Care
-designing and developing technology to help research partners
3. Social Entrepreneurship
- incorporating university students for innovative ideas for solving social problems
4. Disaster Relief
- provides communication and technology relief
5. Community Service
1. Diversity and Inclusion
- everyone is equal (lesbians, gay, bisexual, transgenders)
- customers with disabilities
2. Diverse Partnerships
- national civic organizations
- multicultural business
3. Employee Resource Groups
4. Workforce Commitment
1. Conflict Free Minerals
- engage suppliers to responsibly source the materials used in our products
2. Supplier Responsibility
- working with supply chains to ensure responsible and ethical operations
3. Supplier Diversity
- reach diverse marketplaces
- strong accountability encourages all team members at all levels to raise their hands up and speak their opinions
BAD = APPLE
Apple is a company created by Steve jobs and Steve Wozniak in 1976. Both dropping out
of collage due to societal differences, started on their brain storming journey, and essentially created one of the most well-known companies from nothing. They knew what they wanted as well as the wants and needs of the consumer market, they took action and proceeded on this mission. For the rest of nineties Apple created personal computers, which included Apple, Macintosh etc… Until 2001 with the creation of the Apple iPod, which produced a buzz ,and an immediate uproar of copycat designs, that were incomparable to the original. Soon after Jobs and Wozniak created a working model that was taken to a computer store to be sold. With the machine being fully functional and assembled granted they were to be provided with a profit to assemble all missing parts. The store owners ordered 50, in which they earned about $500 a piece. There was huge customer’s satisfaction and a continued success in the market. Since then there has been many inventions, upgrades etc… from Apple.
Apple is usually viewed as an ethical business. This has recently been proven as untrue.
While a code of conduct about safety standards in the workplace is present. It is not followed by many suppliers. This was exposed when “Apple conducted over three dozen audits, two-thirds of which indicated that employees regularly worked more than 60 hours a week.” (jessecutis.blogspotal-business-ractices.html) as well as “Apple found 70 core violations overthat period, including cases of involuntary labour, under-age workers, record falsifications, improper disposal of hazardous waste and over a hundred workers injured by toxic chemical exposures.” (http://jessecurtis.blogspot.ca/2012/01/apples-unethical-business-practices.html) . All these are violations that Apple claims they are against but because there is a greed on profit margins the code of conduct is not followed In order tomake a larger profit. All that is needed from Apple is the increased profit given to suppliers to treat their workers better, which is currently not being done.
Due to Apples U.S treasury debt avoidance the U.S treasury is larger than any other company, because if this the company would have owed the treasury 2.4 billion, which was paid off by u.s citizens. If apple displayed honesty taxpayers wouldn't have had to pay the difference but instead they had to pay for apples debt.
If apple and its suppliers followed the code of conduct then there wouldn't be so much backlash from their actions. Their dishonesty and unethical working standard have caused them to have more costs tan benefits. Apples success can be measured not just by profits but by ethical procedures that can enhance their performance and expand their consumer market if they instilled the rules in their code of conduct.
CODE OF ETHICS
WHY?: Companies shouldn't discriminate on people based on their religion or race. Employees should be hired based on their intelligence and their benefit to the company.
2. Employees must have the right to speak their own opinion (if its for the companies well being) without consequences
WHY?: Employees should be able/comfortable to give their thoughts on the company whether its positive or negative. These comments will help the company have better policies for their employees.
3. Companies should only use suppliers that are ethical in terms of the environment?:
WHY?: If suppliers are ethical to the environment it will reduce the impact on the environment. Therefore if companies stop using unethical supplies the demand of ethical suppliers will increase, helping the environment standards.
4. Companies should provide assistance to people in need
WHY?: If companies are making enough profit to be able to help the community, they should provide assistance to people in need, whether its donating money or setting up volunteering events. This will help the whole world by decreasing the amount and severity of people in need.
2. Companies must follow Eco-friendly production
3. Companies must pay their employees a fair profit
4. Suppliers must follow the companies code of conduct, serious actions will be taken if otherwise