September Book of the Month
Be You! by Peter H. Reynolds
Cannon Book of the Month Program
At Cannon, one of the ways we promote literacy and community is through our Book of the Month program. Each month we select one book and purchase a copy for each grade level. All the students will hear the story in their classroom. After they have heard the book, there is an optional challenge that complements the text students can complete at home with their families. This year the focus of our Books of the Month will be narrative biographies. We can't wait to learn about some amazing people with you this year. Remember! We encourage you to participate in the Challenge each month but it is not required!
About the Book
Be You! is a celebration of individuality! Before we dive into our biographies for the year, we want to celebrate each of our Cannon scholars and this book is the perfect way to do that! We have brave, kind, adventurous and persistent people in our Cannon family. Let's meet them.
About the Optional Challenge
We want to learn about our Cannon Cubs! You will create a mini autobiography to share.
Listen to the story with your teacher and/or listen to Mrs. Wagner's recorded read aloud.
Decide how you will create your autobiography. Here are some ideas. Choose one of these or think of your own.
- Paint or draw a picture that tells all about you!
- Make a photo collage that tells the story of you!
- Dress up in a "costume" of some kind that shows something about you and make a video about yourself.
- Create an imovie or book trailer about yourself.
- Write a poem.
- Pick one of the characteristics from the story and show or tell us how or when you have demonstrated that trait in your life.