The LINK - August 2018
TJ Walker Middle School
Welcome to TJ Walker Middle School!
On behalf of our incredible staff, I welcome all new and returning students, parents and guardians to TJ Walker Middle School. As I begin my 3rd years as TJ Walker Middle SChool Principal, I still get excitingly nervous as we approach the opening of school.
Along with our staff, I will work hard to continue the legacy of success established at TJ Walker by building strong relationships with students and parents and community partners. This year, we will continue PBIS and add a Social Emotional Learning curriculum for all learners. In addition, we continue to dive deeper into our data to drive instruction and provide a rigorous curriculum so all children can increase their achievement.
We are eager to begin what promises to be a great year. We'll continue to provide rigorous and relevant academic experiences for our students that allow them to make real-world connections. As your Principal, it is important to me that everyone who enters our building finds their learning experience enjoyable. This attitude enables us to meet the challenges of academic excellence in a positive, fun, and nurturing environment.
I welcome and encourage your input. My door is always open! Please feel free to call or email me to discuss any concerns you might have throughout the school year. I speak for all TJ Walker staff when I say, what a blessing and a privilege it is to serve you. Thank you.
Principal Mark Smullen
August 9 & 14 Registration
August 28 6th Grade Orientation
The monthly newsletter informs parents, students and families of our happenings. In an effort to move to paperless, this newsletter will be e-mailed to families. Families who have not set up an e-mail account in PowerSchool will receive a paper copy in the mail.
· Office Hours. Regular office hours (Monday through Thursday) begin Wednesday, August 16, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., and the Middle School Office will be closed on Labor Day. Students may try to access their lockers any time during our normal business hours with the exception of our teacher in-service days on August 28 through 30 Students and parents are always welcome to stop in school prior to August 16 to see if access to their locker is available or call our office at 746-2806 to inquire.
· Lockers. Student locker information will be printed on student schedules. Class schedules can be picked up at Registration Thursday, August 9 or Tuesday, August 4 from 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the high school cafeteria. 6th Grade students receive their schedule at Orientation.
· Open House. Wednesday, August 29, 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. Parents are encouraged to spend the evening visiting classrooms and talking with their child’s teachers.
· First Day of School is Tuesday, September 4. All classes begin 8:05 a.m. for a full day of classes. Gym opens at 7:30 am – 7:50 am. Students have 10 minutes to eat breakfast and report to class. School ends at 3:24 pm.
August 29 Open House
Cross Country Practice Dates & Times
Cross Country Coach Leanne Pinkert 920-746-1556
· Middle School runners are ENCOURAGED to attend high school practice on August 15. Runners meet by SBHS sign at 3:30 p.m.
· First official MS Practice is on September 4 at 3:30 pm.
Football Practice Dates & Times
August 20 is the first day of practice.
- Practice times are from 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm when we do not have a scheduled game.
- Wednesday's practices are 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm.
- All practices are located at the practice field across the street from TJ Walker.
- In case of heavy rain players should have gym shoes available.
Volleyball Practice Dates & Times
Volleyball Coaches: Gr. 8 Coach Brynn Orthober; Gr. 7 Kristyn Zuballa
· Open Gym Tuesday August 21 and 28 and Thursday, August 23 and 30 at 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm in middle school gym.
· In September and October, practice times are 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. and Wednesday’s practices are from 3:30 pm and end between 4:15 or 4:30 p.m.
· 7th grade volleyball season ends October 16 and the 8th grade ends October 20.
Theatre Boot Camp
An Intensive Theatre Experience Exclusively
for Middle & High School Students
September 22 - October 13
Saturdays 10am - 4pm
Third Avenue Playhouse's Educational Outreach Program is presenting THEATRE BOOT CAMP - a series of intensive workshops in Acting, Stage Combat, Improvisation, Clowning, Shakespeare, Juggling, Musical Theatre, Dance and more. For 4 consecutive Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., September 22 - October 13.
Each week will highlight different topics taught by an array of highly skilled theatre teaching artists. They include: Ryan Cappleman (Musical Theatre Dance), Richard Carlson (Acting), Erica Elam (Improvisation), Alex Genty-Waksberg (Acting), Dan Klarer (Stage Combat/Clowning/Shakespeare), Alan Kopischke (Kinetic Acting/Juggling), Amy Mueller (Shakespeare), and James Valcq (Musical Theatre). Tuition for the four week THEATRE BOOT CAMP is $75. Enrollment begins June 12 and will continue until the enrollment limit is reached.
THEATRE BOOT CAMP SCHEDULE
- September 22 - Alan Kopischke, Alex Genty-Waksberg, Richard Carlson (Basic Acting Techniques, Kinetic Acting, Juggling, Theatre Games)
- September 29 - Erica Elam, Dan Klarer (Improv, Clowning, Stage Combat)
- October 6 - James Valcq, Ryan Cappleman (Musical Theatre. Voice, Dance)
- October 13 - Amy Ludwigsen-Mueller, Dan Klarer (Shakespeare)
To enroll or more information, call or drop by the office of the Third Avenue Playhouse at 920-743-1760, 234 N. Third Avenue - Downtown Sturgeon Bay, or visit the website at ThirdAvenuePlayhouse.com
Student Drop Off and Pick Up
7:30 - 8:05 a.m. student drop off.
3:24 – 3:45 p.m. student pick up.
*Bus students are dropped off and picked picked up at the Michigan Street entrance. Pick up is at 3:30- PM
The following staff changes are in effect for the 2018-19 school year:
- Amber Englebert is our new Choir teacher with 2 years experience in the Merrill School District.
- Megan Erickson is our new 8th grade Special Education teacher with 7 years experience in the Waukesha School District.
- Morgan Kiedrowski is our new counselor grades 6-9 with 7 years experience in the Milwaukee area.
- Andrew Ortmayer is our new 7th Grade English teacher with 4 year experience in the Madison and Verona School District.
- Jeanne Schopf is our new Secondary Interventionist who is nationally Board Certified and has her Reading License with 28 years experience.
- Brittany Sperberg is our new Band teacher who is a graduate of UW-Madison.
8th Grade Washington DC Trip
8th Grade Allied Arts Meeting
Parent Volunteers Needed:
Parents can sign-up at registration or by calling the middle school office at 920-746-2806.
2017-18 2018 Wisconsin Forward Exam scores are enclosed for 6th, 7th, and 8th and grade families are available for families when they register. Students whom did not pick up their results at 6th Grade Orientation or Open House will have their forms mailed home.
Fall Immunizations Update
Just to let you know that we received word from the state immunization program about changes for next school year. For fall 2018, the only vaccine the Health Department can provide at school based immunization clinics will be the seasonal influenza.
6th Grade parents please know that the Health department provides Tdap, free of charge, regardless of insurance status, to any adolescents or adults. Note: they are not offering this at the school immunization clinic.
The Health Department does immunizations by appointment. Immunization dates are Wednesday from 10:00 am -11:30 am and 1:30 pm -4:00 pm is still designated as the Health Department's weekly clinic time, but they ask that people call ahead for an appointment (746-2234).
If Wednesday does not work, they can certainly accommodate folks with other days/times if you call ahead. In the case of anyone under 18, they need a parent to signature.
The Health Department is able to provide other vaccines if clients have Badger care, Medical Assistance, are Alaskan native, or Native American, or have private insurance that does not cover vaccines. This process can get complicated, and they want to provide vaccines to as many as possible, so they welcome any questions from parents about this.
Please contact Sue Powers at Door County Public Health Department located at 421 Nebraska Street. Call 920-746-2361 or fax 920-746-2320.
Fall sports opportunities available for middle school students this fall include: Cross Country, Football, Soccer and Girls Volleyball. Please do not be discouraged if you missed the first open gym! Each sport will have a parent meeting to review all paperwork and meet the coaches.
Parents, students must have a physical every other year to participate in these sports. Make sure you bring a green physical card, which you can pick up in the middle school office, to the doctor’s office when you go for the physical. Students who had a physical last year must complete an ivory-colored alternate year card. These cards are available in the middle and high school offices.
Required Forms - submit to MS office
1. Updated Physical or Alternate Year Card must be on file BEFORE you practice. Must be signed by a doctor.
2. Signed Co-Curricular Code Form
3. Parent Consent Form
4. Signed Concussion Form
5. Emergency Form for non TJ Walker student athletes
6. $25 fee or submit completed free and reduced form to receive a fee waiver.
Contact Char Brauer at 920-746-2806 or Mark Smullen at 920-746-2803 if you have more questions.
Sturgeon Bay Booster Club
Sturgeon Bay Clippers Booster Club raises money for uniforms/warm ups, equipment, summer leagues, summer camps and much more. All these funds help in many ways such as keeping our participating fees low so everyone who wants to play can play. The key is that we support each other, work together and have fun! Contact Scott Alger at 920-629-6457 to find out more information regarding the Sturgeon Bay Booster Club.
Middle School Player and Fan Expectations
In order to ensure that all participants enjoy middle school athletics, the following guidelines will be enforced at all Sturgeon Bay athletic events:
1. Students with missing assignments must attend a student table before or after school.
2. Students must be passing all classes in order to participate in extra-curricular activity.
3. Every Monday a list is generated determining eligibility.
4. If ineligible, a student must complete a weekly grade sheet to regain eligibility.
5. An ineligible student will be allowed to participate when the sheet is submitted.
6. Ineligible students are required to complete a grade sheet for 4 consecutive weeks.
7. Derogatory cheers and profanity towards any player, team or official are prohibited.
8. Any individual will be asked to leave the school grounds if #7 is not followed.
Important Fall Dates
Calendar of Events
Aug. 28 6th Grade Orientation 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM SBHS Auditorium
Aug. 29 Open House 4:30 - 6:30 PM TJ Walker
Sept. 4 1st Day of School 8:05 AM TJ Walker
Sept. 6 Allied Arts Parents Meeting 5:30 PM MS Commons
Sept. 6 Washington DC 8th Gr. Trip 6:15 PM MS Commons
Sept. 8 Cross Country 9:00 AM @ Shawano
Sept. 10 MS Volleyball 5:30 PM @ Algoma
Sept. 11 MS Football 5:30 PM @ Peshtigo
Sept. 12 School Pictures 8:15 AM SBHS Auditorium
Sept. 13 Cross Country 4:00 PM @ Valders
Sept. 17 MS Volleyball 5:30 PM @ Sevastopol
Sept. 18 MS Football 5:30 PM @ Oconto
Sept. 20 MS Cross Country 3:30 PM @ Mishicot
Sept. 20 MS Volleyball 5:30 PM Sturgeon Bay
Sept. 24 MS Volleyball 5:30 PM @ Southern Door
Sept. 25 MS Football 5:30 PM @ Southern Door
Sept. 25 & 26 7th Gr. TBA @ Door County Team Leadership Center
Sept. 27 MS Volleyball 5:30 PM @ Gibraltar
Sept. 27 MS Cross Country 4:30 PM Sturgeon Bay
Sept. 28 Middle School Dance @ 7:00 PM High School Entrance