The Plan For Government
A Guide to the Constitution, 1787
Why was a new government needed?
- Taxation without Representation
- Mistreatment by British (Boston Massacre, taxes, laws)
- American Identity
- The Enlightment
Who Attended the Convention?
- 55 Delegates
- Representatives from each Colony
- All White Males (Lack of Diversity)
How are states represented?
- Virginia Plan- wanted it to be based on population
- New Jersey Plan- wanted same power for all
The Great Compromise
- House of Representatives (Virginia Plan)
- Senate (NJ Plan)
Should population counts Slaves?
- South said Yes
- North said No
- 3/5 of slaves
- slave trade protected for 20 years
Who has the power?
System of federalism created
- Power is divided between State/Federal Gov.
- Foreign Issues, Trade between States, Defense, & Money
- Education, Marriage Laws, & Trade in States
4- Separation of Powers
- How to protect against a bad Government-
- Legislative= Makes Laws
- Executive= Enforce Laws
- Judicial= Interprets Laws
- Branches have some power over others
5- Changing the Gov't
Amendments- added to change the constitution
- 2/3 of House + Senate agree
- 2/3 of States agree at Convention