Questions to consider:
- What are the signs and symptoms of having this disease?
- What treatment can doctors suggest to help prevent and stop the Avascular Necrosis in joints?
What is it?
The Body Parts Affected:
Signs and Symptoms:
People who have a persistent pain may want to consult with a doctor right away as this symptom may be a sign of Avascular Necrosis.
Test and Diagnosis:
X-rays-This is a way the doctor to see a change in the joint, but most of the time in the early stages the x-ray may appear normal.
Bone Scan-During this procedure, the doctor injects a small amount of radioactive material into your veins, and will then travel to the area affected. This will show up as bright spots on the imaging plate used.
Magnetic resonance imaging(MRI)-In this test, doctors are able to detect early stages of Avascular Necrosis. MRIs use radio waves and strong magnetic fields to scan the inner structures of the body.
Treatment and Prognosis:
In early stages, doctors can suggest that you rest and take time off the joint, exercise in ways that may help strengthen the area affected, or electrical stimulation to help the body grow new bone over the affected.
Doctors may also suggest that you get a surgical or other medical procedure, especially for those who are in the later stages. The main one that was suggested, was a joint replacement or bone shaping. These both help remove the part of the joint with Avascular Necrosis. With the use of medicine, therapy and surgical procedures doctors have found ways for people to live a pain free life who suffer from this disease.
Males were more prominent to having AVN. The male to female ratio was 8:1.
It also occurs around the ages of 40-60, shown acute in younger ages but worsen over time if untreated.
- Electrical stimulation
- Bone Scan
- "Avascular Necrosis (AVN, Osteonecrosis, Aseptic Necrosis, Ischaemic Necrosis, Femoral Head Necrosis) | MyVMC." MyVMC. 20 Mar. 2014. Web. 10 Dec. 2014.
- "Welcome to LearningRadiology - Radiology Signs, Imaging, Radiologic, Sign, List, Radiographic, Xray, X-ray." Welcome to LearningRadiology - Radiology Signs, Imaging, Radiologic, Sign, List, Radiographic, Xray, X-ray. Web. 10 Dec. 2014.
- "Multiple Sclerosis Research: Bone Damage from Steroid Treatment in MSers." Multiple Sclerosis Research: Bone Damage from Steroid Treatment in MSers. 31 Dec. 2011. Web. 10 Dec. 2014.
- "Avascular Necrosis." In-Depth. 4 May 2012. Web. 10 Dec. 2014.