December 17th - December 21st
Monday, December 10th-21st
- Winter Gear Drive for Connections
Monday, December 17th
- PASS39 Parent Education at Harper School, 9:15 am. Topic: Updates with D39 Staff and Self-Regulation Strategies
- D39 Board of Ed Meeting, MEC, 7-9 pm
Tuesday, December 18th
- Dr. Kick December Birthday Lunch
Thursday, December 20th
- Maker Day
Friday, December 21st
- Harper Spirit Day--every Friday wear your Harper gear!
Monday, December 24th - Sunday, January 6th
- No School - Winter Break
Dr. Kick's Corner
Enrollment for Kindergarten 2019-20 opens January 17th, 2019 from 9:30 am - 5:00 pm and January 18th, 2019 from 8:00 am - 3:15 pm. Please come to Harper's school office during the times listed above in order to be a part of the kindergarten lottery. The lottery is January 24th, 2019.
Necessary forms are available below; you can print and complete these at home to save time. Other forms are required later and dates are noted on each. Parents need to bring an original copy of their child’s birth certificate and two original documents that provide proof of residency (details included with the forms). Several weeks after you have enrolled your child, you will receive an email from D39 with an ID and password to complete the online registration.
Forms required for enrollment on January 17th and 18th:
- Affirmation of Residency & Required Residency 2019-2020 Enrollment|2018-2019 Enrollment
- Home Language Affirmation of Residency & Required Residency Survey
- K Preference Form
- New Family Form-R-2
- New Student Registration Information
- Request for Student Records
- Property Tax Proof for Registration
Forms required later:
The Illinois 5Essentials Parent Survey
The 5Essentials Survey provides school districts with detailed data on school culture and climate. As a parent, you have an opportunity to share your thoughts on the important elements of school effectiveness about your child’s school. Your identity and survey responses will be completely confidential. The Parent Survey Supplement will be open from December 11, 2018 through January 18, 2019.
To take the survey please visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/Illinois/.
Select the appropriate survey to begin.
Questions? Please contact 5Essentials Client Services at 1-866-440-1874.
The monthly Board of Education meeting is Monday, December 17th at 7:00 PM at the MEC. Below are a couple of topics that may be of interest. If you can’t make the meeting, you can view it live or later, either on the District website or on Channel 6. Highlights of the meeting will be emailed and posted online within a day or two.
- Financial presentations including the Audit, Levy, and 5-year projections
- 2019-20 Draft School Calendar
In addition, the Board will share updates on the Superintendent Search if there is news to report
2019-2020 Connecting Kids Preschool Openings
Housed within Romona School is the Connecting Kids Preschool Program. The half-day sessions for three, four and five year-old children are specifically designed to prepare children for District 39 kindergarten classrooms. With structured play, planned pre-academic instruction, differentiated learning, and vocabulary development, Connecting Kids provides an excellent foundation for all children. Reserve a spot for your child in next fall's three, four or five year-old classes. Registration opens on December 1, 2018 and closes on January 31, 2019. Registration forms can be found online here. If space is available, registration is ongoing until classes are filled.
Call Amanda Barton, Early Childhood Coordinator, at 847-512-6463, or visit www.wilmette39.org to learn more about this exceptional District 39 program.
Monday, January 7th
- School Resumes after break
- Winter Clubs begin
Wednesday, January 16th
- General PTO Meeting - Full Bloom Lotus Mindfulness Presentation
Monday, January 21st
- No School, Martin Luther King, Jr Birthday
Monday, January 28th
- Harper Open Gym begins
Library Volunteers Needed!
- The Sign Up Genius above has been updated with dates to volunteer through March 2019! Don't wait until then! The library is still in need of volunteers until Winter Break. Please sign up above. Thank you!
Winter After School Clubs Information!
- Winter Clubs start at Harper school on January 7, 2019!
- Twenty Winter After School Clubs are available for registration. Chess Club is back along with a variety of classes ranging from Hip Hop and Floor Hockey to Python Coding and Stage Stars. These exciting classes will run January 7th -March 22nd. For more details and to register, see the Wilmette Park District After School Programs website.
Girls On the Run!
Harper will be hosting Girls on the Run this Spring. If your third or fourth grade daughter is interested, sign-up begins January 1st on the GOTR website -- more details coming in the New Year! Practices will be 75-90 minutes twice a week after school at Harper mid-March up to the 5K in May.
Special Education Hockey
The Wilmette Hockey Association is excited to announce a second session of Special Education Hockey and registration is open!
- When: Saturdays from 2:45 - 3:45 p.m. Clinics begin Saturday, January 12th and run through Saturday, March 2nd. 8 sessions.
- Where: Centennial Ice Rink in Wilmette
- Program Audience: Participation is cross categorical - any student aged 4 - 10 who presents with autism to developmental delay to behavior disorder and on through to cognitive impairment. For any interested child who falls outside of the listed age range, please contact the Special Education Hockey Director about potential participation on a per case basis.
- For more information, please open the attached link.
iGNITE! Enrichment Information
Thank you to iGNITE! for the following Enrichment Experiences!
What to do on these cold winter nights? Warm up at Harper Open Gym!
· Monday Nights from 6:30-8:00pm
· Starting Jan 28th – March 18th
· Harper Students only (no non-Harper siblings, sorry!)
· Limit 30 students, there will be a door monitor keeping a list. Just show up.
· Clean shoes must be brought in for the gym. Students may not go to their lockers so please bring shoes from home.
· A parent needs to stay with their child(ren). This is not a drop off.
The Harper Open Gym program is sponsored by the PTO and your iGNITE! contributions. It is run by our awesome D39 PE teacher, Mr. Chris Toy!!
First come/first serve.
See you there!
Your K-4th Grade Students have participated in the iGNITE! sponsored Mindfulness Program this week! Please see the PDF below for details of what they learned and any take home work/challenges.
Community Service & News
Welcome to the Community Service Corner!
- The Holiday Patient Craniofacial party was a huge success. Harper School donated 125 of the 400 gifts. The families were so very appreciative! Thank you Harper School!
- December 10th-21st
Winter Gear Drive (benefitting Connections for the Homeless)
Please donate new and gently used winter gear for Connections families (adult and children)!
Items needed: winter coats, gloves and hats, warm socks, boots, blankets and sleeping bags, disposable hand and foot warmers, and long underwear!
*Socks and underwear must be new; other items may be gently used.
- Looking for a gift that gives back this holiday season? Here are some ideas:
- Or some more ways to get your family involved in giving back this holiday season:
- And here are some books that talk about giving back:
Northwestern’s Center for Talent Development offers Weekend Enrichment Programs for students age 3 through 8th grade.
Love to sing? Youth Choral Theatre of Chicago offers a free vocal training class with flyer. Vocal classes available for children ages 4-18.
The Center Fitness Club schedule and various park district classes for children ages 3-14 are posted.
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org