Man Made OR Nature's Fury..?
Beauty of Nature
Uttrakhand is a beautiful mountainous region with a lot of religious significance.It is well known as the "Land of Gods".Two of India's largest rivers originate from the glaciers of Uttrakhand.
BUT NOW ...... THIS MONSOON DESTROYED UTTRAKHAND..!! :(
Causes : MAN or NATURE ?
- Due to continuous rainfall the Chorabari glacier melted and this triggered the flooding of Mandakini river. This led to heavy flooding in many districts in Uttrakhand.
- The Uttrakhand disaster is officially termed as a natural calamity caused by a cloudburst and heavy monsoon rainfall.
- The true cause of the tragedy is the growth of tourism, unchecked rapid increase of roads, buildings, and multistory houses and unplanned construction of buildings.
- This unplanned construction led to landslides and erosion.
most affected areas
Out of the many places that where hit, four places had a historical and religious significance.
Uttrakhand is well known for his Chota Char Dham (important Hindu pilgrimage circuit):
MEASURES TAKEN BY THE GOVERNMENT and local community
- By 21 June 2013, the army had deployed 10,000 soldiers and 11 helicopters.
- the navy had sent 45 naval drivers, and air force had deployed 43 aircraft including 36 helicopters.
several state governments also announced financial assistance
- Uttar Pradesh government - 25 crore
- The Govt. of Haryana, Maharashtra and Delhi 10 crore each.
- The Govt. of Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgrah 5 crore each.
What can you do ?
We are all part of the society. We need to do our individual part to make the society a better place.