Micro Elementary Parent Newsletter
Message from Principal Parrish
Welcome to the 2019-2020 School Year!
We should be in store for another great year at the small school where BIG things happen. Our theme this year is Micro Elementary: Where Everyone Belongs. We believe that we are better together! Students are more likely to succeed when all stakeholders work together. Here at Micro; parents, grandparents, teachers, instructional assistants, custodians, cafeteria workers, office staff, etc. are all on the same team! We look forward to doing working with all of our Micro Family Members this year.
2019-2020 Micro Elementary School Improvement Goals
Foster and nurture a love of reading within our students.2
Develop the whole child academically, socially, and emotionally.
Strengthen core instruction through consistent, school-wide practices. Teachers and students will be supported through MTSS and high-functioning Professional Learning Communities.
We will build school structures that support students strategically to increase achievement in reading, math, and science.
Please remember that if you have questions or concerns, please start with your child's teacher. We are here to serve!
Micro Elementary News
- This year parents will use the front entrance at all times to enter the building. In the past, for awards ceremonies and during morning drop-off parents have been allowed to enter through the side. This year we want all parents and visitors using the front door each time they are on campus, also please be sure to get a visitor pass.
- North Carolina has a very helpful reading resource for parents. Visit here to find resources to help your child with reading: https://www.northcarolinaread.com/
- Read how having a quality home library can impact a student's performance at school.
- Would you like to volunteer? Contact our school counselor, Mandy Yelverton, if you are interested in volunteering. MandyYelverton@johnston.k12.nc.us or 919-588-4300. We are expanding our Spider Buddies Volunteer Network this year.
Click here These forms need to be updated each year.
Reduced Breakfast for Grades K-12: Free
Breakfast for Grades K-12: $1.40
Reduced Lunch for Grades K-12: $.40
Lunch for Grades K-8: $2.30
Lunch for Grades 9-12: $2.40
Signs are pointing to an excellent year being had at Micro Elementary this school year!
New Teaching Staff
Clockwise from top left: Mrs. Meeker, Sandra Baptiste, Katlyn Peedin, and Heather Johnson.
Fresh Cuts and Fresh Starts
We had such great community support during our 2nd annual Fresh Cuts and Fresh Starts. It was a well attended event.
New Teaching Staff
Join the PTA! We are currently looking for active members. Membership is only $5. Be on the lookout for information to go home soon.
August Important Dates
- August 25th: Micro Elementary Prayer Walk (All are welcome/Optional) @ 2:30 Main Lobby
- August 26th: First Day of School
- August 26-29th: Kindergarten Appointments
- September 2nd (No School): Labor Day Holiday:
- September 3rd: First Day of School for Pre-K
- September 5th: First Day of School for 1/2 of Kindergarten
- September 6th: First Day of School for 1/2 of Kindergarten
- September 9th: First Full Day of School for 100% of Kindergarten
- September 10th: K-5 Boy Scout Flag Etiquette Visits (See Google Calendar for times)
- September 11th: Boy Scout Membership Drive Night @ 6:30
- September 17th: Spider Buddies Orientation @ 6:30
- September 20th: First Quarter Progress Reports
- September 24th: Fall Pictures
- September 25th: Duty Free Lunch (Parent/Volunteer Led)
- October 1st: Open House PTA @ 6:30
- October 17th: Coffee with Mr. Parrish @ 9:00 am
October 26th: Fall Festival