PARENT TIPS FOR VIRTUAL LEARNING
EVERY STUDENT EMPOWERED, EVERY STUDENT SUCCEEDS!
Together, we are a TEAM! #allinthistogether
In these unprecedented times, know that we are here to support you and your children.
Our goal is two-fold:
1) to move our children forward with learning those critical expectations needed for success
2) to prevent academic regression
COVID-19 has caused schools all over the country to adapt to remote learning. We all want what's best for our students here at WBE so please know that you are not alone! Students, parents, teachers, and educators from all over the world are facing this challenge as one unified team.
In WBE, we have adopted these modes of learning at home:
Grades K - 6 are using the virtual approach with VLE powered by D2L/Brightspace
Grades 7-12 are using Microsoft Teams but you might also be using the VLE powered by D2L/Brightspace
During this time of uncertainty, it's vital that parents and guardians remain positive and keep an open mind; we want to see the same positive attitude with online learning. When our children remain positive and focused, they will be successful. If at any time you have any questions or concerns about online work, please contact your child's teacher(s) through email. If you cannot reach your child's teacher, please email the Principal, who will then assist you.
With all of this in mind, we have provided you some helpful tips and videos on virtual learning.
Tips for Home eLearning and How-to Videos are below.
Josie Tober on behalf of
The WBE Ed Tech Team
VLE/Brightspace Portfolio app (Virtual Learning Environment)
Our Kindergarden's up to Grade 6 will be utilizing the VLE site so that you have 1 place to go to access any communication, links and work that they'd like your child to submit. Along with the VLE, we will be using the Brightspace Portfolio app which will allow you and your child to submit videos and pictures of the activities that have been provided for your child to complete. This will help the teacher monitor your child’s learning and will allow them to track your child’s progress.
The VLE is accessible by going to this link: Virtual Learning Environment
You will be receiving a letter from your child's teacher for your child's login information
Office 365 for All WBE Staff, Students & Parents!
Please view this video which will show you how to download and install from office.com using your child's WBE email and password: https://youtu.be/C0yqZY5Brdc
VIDEO #1: How to log into Microsoft Office?
- Go to Microsoft account and select Sign in.
- Type your email then select Next. *NOTE: If you do not know your username or password, please contact your child's teacher and ask for their account information.
- Type your password and select the Keep me signed in box if you want to go straight into your account next time (not recommended for shared computers).
- Select Sign in.
VIDEOS #2 & #3: Logging in and how to Upload Assignments into Microsoft Teams
How to log into Teams: https://youtu.be/qx8xHpRMFHU
Sign in and get started with Teams
- Start Teams. In Windows, click Start. > Microsoft Teams. On Mac, go to the Applications folder and click Microsoft Teams. On mobile, tap the Teams icon.
- Sign in with your Microsoft 365 username and password.
How to Turn in Assignments in Microsoft Teams: https://youtu.be/aMi2uqEsuj8
To turn in an assignment, select its assignment card. Depending on the status of your assignment, you may be turning your work in on time, late, or submitting revised work.
Navigate to the General channel in the desired classroom, then select Assignments. You can also use your search bar to search for an assignment by keyword.
Your upcoming assignments will show in order of when they're due. Select any assignment card to open it and view the assignment’s details.
Tip: Select the Expansion icon (diagonal, double-sided arrow) to work in full-screen mode.
If your teacher specified a document for you to turn in or you have other files to attach to this assignment, select +Add work. You will have a few options to choose from:
1. OneDrive (your Microsoft online file storage), now proceed to step 4
2. +New File (choose Word, PowerPoint, or Excel, enter a file name, then click Attach)
Now you can work on the new file you created before proceeding to step 4
3. Link - Likely not using this but if you are, now proceed to step 4
4. Teams - a file that is in your Teams class area, now proceed to step 4
5. Upload from this Device - follow the prompts, now proceed to step 4
Note: You can attach a file up to 50 MB in size.
Tip: Work on Office files associated with this assignment right from here—no need to leave the app. Older files with .doc, .xls, and .ppt file extensions can only be edited in the desktop versions of those apps. You can copy content into a new file created in Teams to make them editable again.
Select the Turn in button to turn in an assignment before its deadline. The button will change depending on the status:
Turn in again if you’re editing an assignment you’ve already turned in and need to submit work again.
Turn in late if you’re turning in your assignment after the due date, but your teacher has allowed late turn-ins or asked for a revision.
Not turned in if the assignment is past due and your teacher is no longer accepting turn-ins. You cannot turn in work.
Undo turn in if you decide you want to edit your assignment before the due date. You'll need to turn it in again after you make your edits.
A Parent's Guide to Remote Learning
HOW TO CREATE A CONDUCIVE LEARNING SPACE IN YOUR HOME:
Physical Environment in Your Home:1. Create a Designated Learning Space
2. Choose the Right Learning Space
What You Will Need:
1. In-Home WiFi (or access to WIFI at the school parking lot)
2. Web-Accessible Device (school-issued laptop)
How You Can Help as a Parent/Guardian:
1. Minimize Distractions
2. Set a Schedule at home
3. Communicate with teachers
4. Check-In (checking in with your child to not only make sure they're getting their assignments completed, but just as important, making sure they're doing 'ok' mentally--this is super-important!)
When you're working at home alongside your child(ren), check out this site for tips: