Livonia PTSA Council Courier
News for March 2, 2015
Have you registered for Convention yet?
Are you excited about PTA Convention? Do you wonder if it's something you really need to attend? Are you sure that it's even meant for you? Those are all good questions, and the answer should be YES!
Convention is open to EVERYONE -whether you are a PTA officer, an administrator, parent, teacher or student! There is something for everyone who wants to learn more about improving the lives and opportunities for children.
We hope to see YOU at Convention next month.
You can register by mail or online. Find the information here:
Call to Convention: http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.michiganpta.org/resource/resmgr/Convention/FINAL_MIPTA_Conv2015_CTC.pdf
Printable Registration form: http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.michiganpta.org/resource/resmgr/Convention/FINAL_MIPTA_Conv2015_RegForm.pdf
Livonia Kiwanis Early Risers present donation to Niji Iro Elementary PTA
Also, just a reminder that the YMAD celebration will be at Stevenson High School (due to renovations going on at Franklin High School) on April 21st. All participants and their families are invited. Doug Sheer will be performing the magic show this year as Jason Hudy who has performed in the past has moved to the other side of the world!
An Evening with your local legislators
Please join the Livonia PTSA Council for an evening with your elected representatives to discuss local issues and concerns.
Thursday March 26, 2015 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
We have State Senator Hoon-Yung Hopgood (District 6),
State Senator Patrick Colbeck (District 7),
State Representative Julie Plawecki (District 11),
State Representative Robert Kosowski (District 16) and
State Representative Laura Cox (District 19) joining us.
We will update as we add additional legislators.
Refreshments will be provided by the Franklin High School Patriot Inn. This event is open to the public and there is no fee to attend.
We do ask for an RSVP for planning purposes – please email John Grzebik at firstname.lastname@example.org
PTA Training Tips
How do you Make a MOTION? (REMEMBER - it is followed by a VOTE!)
- Obtaining the floor
- Wait until the last speaker has finished.
- Rise and address the Chairman by saying, "Mr. Chairman, or Mr. President."
- Wait until the Chairman recognizes you.
- Make Your Motion
- Speak in a clear and concise manner.
- Always state a motion affirmatively. Say, "I move that we ..." rather than, "I move that we do not ...".
- Avoid personalities and stay on your subject.
- Wait for Someone to Second Your Motion
- Another member will second your motion or the Chairman will call for a second.
- If there is no second to your motion it is lost.
- The Chairman States Your Motion
- The Chairman will say, "it has been moved and seconded that we ..." Thus placing your motion before the membership for consideration and action.
- The membership then either debates your motion, or may move directly to a vote.
- Once your motion is presented to the membership by the chairman it becomes "assembly property", and cannot be changed by you without the consent of the members.
- Expanding on Your Motion
- The time for you to speak in favor of your motion is at this point in time, rather than at the time you present it.
- The mover is always allowed to speak first.
- All comments and debate must be directed to the chairman.
- Keep to the time limit for speaking that has been established.
- The mover may speak again only after other speakers are finished, unless called upon by the Chairman.
- Putting the Question to the Membership
- The Chairman asks, "Are you ready to vote on the question?"
- If there is no more discussion, a vote is taken.
- On a motion to move the previous question may be adapted.
for more information on making motions, voting or meeting rules & procedures, consult your Bylaws and Roberts Rules of Order.
Livonia PTSA Council - next meeting WEDNESDAY MARCH 11
3 President's Phone call (log in to MI PTA website for details)
8 Daylight Savings - set your clocks ahead one hour
11 Livonia PTSA Council meeting @ Riley Upper Elementary 6:30 pm
26 An evening with your legislators @ FHS Patriot Inn 7:00 - 8:00 pm
27-29 Michigan PTA 97 Annual Convention
3-10 - Reminder - No School
15 LPTSA Council Meeting - ELECTIONS
29 - Reminder - No School