Ms. Larrabee's 1st grade class
The Buzz This Week (9/7 - 9/11)
Writing: We will continue to establish the writing community this week. We will learn how to be a respectful listener to their peers as they begin to share some of the writings they've completed in their writing journals.
Reading: In reading, we are continuing to practice our expectations of what to do during guided reading groups. We're learning what readers do, why we read and what different reading groups will look like. We'll also read When I was Little by Jamie Lee Curtis. With this book, students will learn how and why we make connections to books as we read. We will make text to self connections and text to text connections throughout the week.
Word Work: This week we're continuing to focus on short a word families. The word family patterns we will learn about are -ad, -ap and -ack. Last week, it was -an, -at and -ag. The sight words we'll be studying include: how, want, an, use, there.
Science: We ended up not starting our first science unit last week due to time. We will start our first science unit at the beginning of this week, What is a Scientist? We'll be introducing science and what scientists do.
Math: This week, we're beginning a 2 - 3 week math unit, Organizing and Collecting. In this unit, students work to organize materials in groups and to skip count, specifically by tens. Place value understanding is developed as students pack groups of ten and study patterns in data. The ten frame is used as a visual model of five and ten.
We've done several get to know you activities in our classroom. Now that we know our class fairly well, we're making friends in other 1st grade classrooms. Last week we made friends with Mr. Capizzi's and Mr. McCormick's classes.
We played several number sense games last week. In the game pictured, students rolled number cubes to fill and count numbers on a 20 frame chart.
(8/31 - 9/4)
Thank you to all our families who joined us during our First Friday Reading this past Friday. The children had a blast reading with you and sharing our classroom learning library with you!
We received our 2nd Pawfect Award last week from Dr. Hogg!! Dr. Hogg walked by our class as we were taking a restroom break and noticed that we were "Very quiet & patient as they waited outside the restroom for everyone." We earned our 1st Pawfect Award from Coach Widaman during our 1st PE class! Way to go 1st graders!!
"Buzz Worthy" Things to Look Out For
- A homework calendar for the month of September will be sent home with your child tomorrow. The homework calendar is completely optional, but is a great way to reinforce different topics, instructional themes and expectations taught in 1st grade. A new homework calendar will be sent home each month.
- A reading log will also be sent home tomorrow. Our classroom is participating in the Reading, Writing & Ravioli program sponsored by The Pasta House and Coca-Cola. The program does not start until October, but I am sending home a September reading log to practice logging your child's reading.
- Intake conferences are Thursday, September 10th and Wednesday, September 16th. I emailed my conference schedule on Friday. I'm looking forward to meeting with you and learning more about you, your child and family!
- Picture Day is Friday, September 11th. Please fill out and return picture forms by September 11th.
- I am not sending home Scholastic Book Orders this month because our school is having a Scholastic Book Fair September 8th - 15th. Scholastic Book Orders will start in October.
- Our first Wellness Wednesday is this Wednesday, where classmates can walk or bike to school. For every five students who participate in our classroom, we will add a paw print to our Wellness board near Mrs. Ehrlich's Wellness room on the first floor.
- There is a PTO meeting Tuesday, September 8th from 7:00 - 8:30 pm.
Specials This Week
Here's a picture of Dav drawing a picture of one of his characters. Next, you'll see the picture our class won during the assembly!
Our class won a picture drawn by Dav Pilkey himself during the assembly! We have the picture displayed proudly in our room!
The kids loved listening to him speak!
Here are a couple of pictures of our kids enjoying reading with our special guests that came for First Fridays.
Here's a picture of our Fun Friday event held every Friday to recognize good behavior during the week. There are many options to choose from during Fun Friday. The options pictured here are thinking games and Legos.