Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - October 8, 2021
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from Dr. Ostroski
Testing Day - October 13
Vision & Hearing Screening - October 14
Kudos and Celebrations
BVN Bell Schedules
Mark Your Calendar
Durham Bus Information
Fall Activity Guide
The Mustang Club (former PBC)
A Letter from Your Blue Valley North Principal
What a Homecoming week! I want to give a big THANK YOU to our STUCO and parent groups who have made everything possible! Thanks to all of you that volunteered to work events and/or donated items for our students. I appreciate everyone who was involved in the most successful Parade/Bonfire/Fireworks night that we’ve ever had! None of the events of Homecoming week would have been possible without the support of the BVN Mustang Club, Father’s Club, and our community sponsors: Paige’s Food Truck, KC Supply, Advent Health, and The Sports Medicine Center at Children’s Mercy KC. We thank you!
Please join me in congratulating the BVN Kansas Teacher of the Year nominee for this year, Kate Tankel. Ms. Tankel is an amazing Spanish teacher who is an incredible asset to our building. Anyone who enters her classroom can’t miss the connection she makes with her students or the electric environment that she creates. We truly appreciate everything that Ms. Tankel does for BVN and our students and we are so excited for her to represent us as our KTOY nominee. Thank you, Ms. Tankel!
Next week we prepare for Testing and Senior Outreach Day on Wednesday, October 13. Underclassmen will be released after testing at 12:00 p.m. Please note, that students will not be able to leave during the morning for appointments since we cannot interrupt testing. More detailed information is in this newsletter.
Thursday, October 14, is vision and hearing screening for all 9th, 11th, new 10th and 12th graders. Please make sure your student has their current eye glass prescription with them for accurate testing results.
Please mark your calendars for October 15 and November 1 when there is no school. As always, thanks for your support, Mustangs!
Underclass Testing/Senior Outreach Day – Oct. 13, 12:00 Dismissal
Note: On Testing Day, October 13, no students will be able to leave their testing room until all testing has been completed.
On October 13, sophomores and juniors across the nation will take the PSAT, the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. The scores from the PSAT during the junior year are used to determine eligibility and qualification for the National Merit Scholarship Program. Students involved with testing will test during the morning and then be dismissed when their test is completed (approximately at 12 p.m.), then our cafeteria will have a grab & go lunch available. Bus times will be adjusted to accommodate the changes and will leave BVN at or shortly after noon.
Here is the plan for all students:
- Freshman—Pre-ACT at BVN
- Sophomores—Practice ACT or PSAT, both at BVN (PSAT Payment deadline was Oct. 6.)
- Juniors—Practice ACT at BVN or PSAT at KU Edwards (PSAT Payment deadline was October 6.)
* Juniors who have registered to take the PSAT will go directly to the KU Edwards campus, arriving no later than 7:30 a.m. for testing, and they will be dismissed for the day from there. If any junior needs transportation, please email Lisa Stolper: email@example.com by Friday, October 8.
- Seniors--please complete this Google form to be excused from attendance: Senior Outreach link . Seniors who have not completed the Google form by October 11 will be put on a study hall list and expected to be at school on October 13 from 7:40 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Juniors taking practice ACT, all Sophomores and all Freshmen will test at BVN, and should look for their room assignments posted outside Student Services. Bring No.2 pencils and a calculator. Arrive at school by 7:30 a.m.
We will not be able to interrupt testing, so please schedule all doctor appointments and other appointments after 12:00 on October 13. Tests will begin at 7:40 a.m. and all testers will remain in their classroom until all students in the room have completed the test, then they will be dismissed for the Grab & Go lunch and are free to go home. Thank you for helping us provide a great testing environment!
Vision and Hearing Screening Information – October 14
On Thursday, October 14, all 9th/11th graders, and new students in 10th and 12th grade will be screened in hearing and vision. Parents/Guardians, please make sure your student has their current eye glass prescription with them on Thursday for accurate screening results. If you have questions, please reach out to Amanda Collichio, BVN School Nurse at 913.239.3013.
Kudos and Celebrations
Girls' Volleyball Team (new)
Congratulations to the Volleyball Team for winning the tough Shawnee Mission Northwest Tournament on Saturday. The Mustangs went 6-0 on the day with big sweeps in the semifinals vs. Saint James and the finals vs. Mill Valley. The Mustangs are now 24-2 on the season. Please come out Wednesday, Oct. 13, for our Senior Night. The Mustangs play Louisburg at 5:00 then Mill Valley around 7:30. We will honor our six seniors before the Mill Valley match. This includes...Clara Benskin, Morgan DeBow, Jasmine Dulan, Mandy Gibbs, Brooke Mayor and Emery Shaw.
BVN Bell Schedules (new info)
Unfortunately, we continue to experience vandalism within our bathrooms on a daily basis. These incidents are being investigated in coordination with law enforcement. As a result, we will suspend Friday NorthTime until we have consecutive weeks in which our students treat our facilities in a respectful and mature manner. Students will eat lunch during their 5th Hour on Fridays. Bell schedule is included below, titled "Traditional 7-Hour Days/No North Time"
When there are five days in the school week, the Bell Schedule will be Odd, Even, Odd, Even, Traditional Day. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, school begins at 7:40 a.m. On Tuesday and Thursday, school begins at 8:25 a.m. (see below). If you want a copy for home, ask your student to stop by the BVN main office. It's also posted on the BVN website. When there are schedule changes due to a shortened school week, during finals, etc., it will be announced in North Notes and listed on the EKL calendar, BVN’s school calendar.
Here is a link to the Bell Schedule which is on the BVN website: BVNBELLSCHEDULE .
Mark Your Calendar
October 13: Testing Day/Early Release at 12:00
October 14: Vision & Hearing Screening
October 15: NO SCHOOL/End of 1st Quarter
November 1: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning for Teachers
Nov. 24-26: NO SCHOOL/Thanksgiving Break
Dec. 17, 20, 21: Final Exams/Early release (times TBA)
Dec. 22-Jan 4: Winter Break
January 5: School Resumes
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Click here for the 2021-22 Blue Valley School District Calendar.
BVN Letter Jacket Ordering Information (new)
Would you like to order a letter jacket for your student athlete? Contact Derek Beck, BVN's Balfour Rep, at 913-549-3076. All letter jackets are custom fit and include the sew-on fees for two patches. You must place your order today, October 8, to receive the jacket in time for the December holidays.
NEW MAWD DRIVE-IN TESTING CLINIC (new)
On October 4, MAWD Labs has agreed to provide COVID-19 testing appointments for Blue Valley students, staff and their immediate family members. Appointments can be scheduled for eligible individuals who are symptomatic or asymptomatic.
PCR SALIVA TESTING KIT INFORMATION:
- Location: MAWD COVID-19 Drive-In Testing Clinic at 14950 Newton St, Overland Park, KS 66223 (northwest of CAPS on the Blue Valley District Campus)
- Hours: Monday-Friday (8:00 AM-3:30 PM)
- Testing Appointments and Information: Parents/Staff will make testing appointments by calling 913-239-4371. Upon arriving at your appointment, the staff member or parent will register, and provide testing consent. Registration includes name, DOB, race, ethnicity, email/text address, parent consent and which school the student attends. The district encourages individuals to only fill out boxes that are required. If an immediate family member, please use the code for the district (73020146). Coming Soon: Online appointments and registration.
- Parent Consent: Parents will complete the consent form that is part of registration. A parent/guardian must be with the student at the Drive-In clinic to give verbal permission at the time of testing.
- Test Results: Test results are sent to the email/text address provided at registration and to Blue Valley Health Services.
Questions? Call 913-239-4371
Prescription Meds at BVN - Action Needed
This is just a friendly reminder to all North parents: All prescription medications must be accompanied by this written authorization from a physician or other person licensed to prescribe medications, for the administration of that medication at school. All prescription medications to be administered at school must be in their original containers with the label intact. Students shouldn’t be self-carrying unlabeled prescription medications or any prescription medications. If you have any questions please contact the School Nurse Amanda Collichio at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you need to check your student out early for an appointment? (new)
You can no longer send your student a text to get them released from class. Please send a note with your student that morning, and ask them to drop it off at the Attendance Office on their way to their first class. The attendance office window for students is located in the main foyer as you walk into the building. The Attendance Office can also be reached by calling 913-239-3001 or emailing AttendanceBVN@bluevalleyk12.org . We ask for a minimum of two hours’ notice. A pass is delivered to your student’s class and their teacher will give the pass to your student so they can check out in the Attendance Office before they leave. If you plan ahead, we can have your student waiting on you so you don't need to come into BVN. You can wait in your car.
Attendance Office Information (new)
With over 1500 students, BVN has Rita Mouber, Attendance Manager, solely dedicated to overseeing student absences and early releases from class for appointments. Enter (913) 239-3001 in your phone’s speed dial or email email@example.com if your student will be absent from school. Include student’s first and last name, grade, reason for absence, your name and phone number. Rita checks email and voice mail constantly so please leave the information on her voicemail if she doesn’t answer her phone.
World Language Credit Information (9th grade families only)
This information is only for students who have completed the Middle School world language sequence and will seek to transfer two world language credits to their High School transcript. In July 2020, the Board of Education revised the policy on high school credit for world language courses successfully completed. Students have the option of receiving 2 credits for successful completion of the middle school world language series. To apply for the credit transfer, please fill out the form found here by October 15. This link was also sent to all 9th graders and their parents/guardians via email during the week of September 6, 2021.
Blue Valley Dress Code Policy: Board of Education Appearance of Students Policy 3513
Student clothing shall be appropriate for students in the business of learning. Clothing or appearance that distracts from the purposes of the school shall not be permitted. Student clothing shall reflect a sense of self-respect and personal dignity.
District staff shall seek parent cooperation in encouraging students to adhere to this policy.
B.O.E. Adopted 25 Aug 1980
B.O.E. Amended 11 Oct 1999
B.O.E. Amended 10 Jul 2000
B.O.E. Reviewed 10 Mar 2014
School Photo Orders (updated info)
If your student’s picture was taken on Picture Day (August 20) and you placed a pre-order for photos, the picture package was delivered to your student in their English class last week. If you did not pre-purchase a packet, your student was given a proof sheet with instructions for how to purchase from their website, www.rollandkc.com using your student's ID number as the password. Your student may have had their picture taken on Sept. 24 (Re-takes and Last Chance) and we should have proof sheets, school IDs and picture packets in approximately 2 weeks. They will be distributed by English teachers.
Student ID Cards and Student Activity Passes
Your student should have received their school ID by now. If a Student Activity Pass was purchased by August 24, it should be printed on his/her Student ID. If you’ve purchased a Student Pass after August 24, just have your student come to Student Services and fill out a form to request a new corrected ID.
Mustang Family Activity Pass
If you purchased a Family Activity Pass or an Adult Individual Activity pass, you may have picked it up at the home football game on September 2. If you did not, it was sent home with your student. If you have not yet received it, you can have your student come in to check with Mrs. Miller in the Student Services office.
School Nurse Information and Clinic Hours
The Nurse's office is open Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. during school hours. This office closes for lunch 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. each day (except in the case of emergency). Nurse Amanda Collichio is available to assist students with their health needs, first-aid and medical conditions. Please contact Nurse Amanda at (913) 239-3013 or by email at AJCollichio@bluevalleyk12.org .
Are you moving? Have you moved?
Please contact the BVN Registrar, Suzy Doherty, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Counseling, Academics & Testing (updates)
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- Testing Day is October 13, 2021 – Freshmen will take Pre-ACT, Sophomores and Juniors take either PSAT or practice ACT. Two emails with further details were sent on 10/4 – one all-school email and one just for Juniors. Seniors have received information on non-testing opportunities. On this day, we cannot interrupt testing so students will not be able to leave early for appointments. All students will be released at 12:00 p.m.
- Juniors and Seniors may sign up for BVN-only virtual admissions presentations by college reps on Naviance->Colleges->College Visits. Visits for next week include Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Kansas Wesleyan University, University of Chicago, Middlebury College, Southern Methodist University.
- Senior college admissions: Counselors have visited with seniors in ELA classes to discuss the college application process and offered additional sessions for students using the Common Application. Seniors who have additional questions are encouraged to see their counselor.
- For AP test registration, see AP Registration Information
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room
Questions? Contact Sarah King @ (913)239-3016 or SKing@bluevalleyk12.org .
Girls' Wrestling Team (new)
We have a new head women's wrestling coach, Mallory Meade!
Girls' wrestling is one of the fastest growing women's sports in the United States, and this year girls have their own division in Kansas and will compete only against other all-female teams. BVN is looking to grow our program and wants everyone to be a part of it. Experience is not needed just the wiliness to learn.
Our mission as a school is to empower girls using the sport of wrestling to become leaders in life. With the fast growth of Womens College Wrestling, the sport is only going to grow. Wrestling is a winter sport and practice officially starts November 15th. Sign-up now with Coach Spadoni in Mobile 2! All physicals & athletic participation forms are due to Mrs. Anderson, BVN Main Office on Friday, November 12, by 3:00 p.m. in order to begin practice on November 15. If you have any questions, talk to Coach Spadoni, in Mobile 2 or email: email@example.com .
Pre-Season Wrestling (new)
Wrestling pre-season conditioning has started, Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:00-7:30 p.m. This is the perfect opportunity to try out wrestling if you have never done it before. Everyone is welcome to participate, Boys and Girls. You MUST sign up with Coach Spadoni, in Mobile 2 or by email, for wrestling before you can participate. Please email Coach Spadoni for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Boys' Swimming and Diving Team
- Student-Athlete Information Meeting was held on Friday, September 17
- Team/Parent Meeting will take place on Monday, November 8, at 6:15 p.m. in the Library.
- All physicals & athletic participation forms are due to Mrs. Anderson, BVN Main Office on Friday, November 12, by 3:00 p.m. in order to begin practice on November 15.
Baseball – New Parent/New Family Meeting (new)
- Who? – New Families to BVN
- When? – 6:30pm Wednesday, October 13th (10/13)
- Where? – BVN Library
** This is an informational meeting for any NEW families to BVN that have students interested in the baseball. Meeting should last about 30 minutes**
Student-Athletes Action Needed for 2021-22
Winter Sports begin on November 15, and physicals and KSHSAA required athletic participation forms are due on November 12 by 3:00 p.m. If your student will be participating in a KSHSAA sponsored sport at BVN, every student-athlete needs a new physical completed, signed and dated (May 1, 2021, or after) by a physician. If your student athlete participated in a fall sport, they will already have their packet on file with the BVN Athletic Department. Here is a link to all the forms & physical on the BVN website PHYSICAL2021. The physical is just part of the paperwork required. All forms need to be printed, read, signed by a parent and student, and returned to BVN's Main Office. If you have questions, contact Teresa Anderson, BVN Assistant to the Athletic Director, at 913-239-3011 or by email, email@example.com .
Senior Information for the Class of 2022
Save the date for 2022 Graduation: Sunday, May 22, at 7 p.m. at the District Activity Center, 13310 Switzer, Overland Park, Kansas 66213. Rain date is Wednesday, May 25 at 6 p.m. There are no tickets required and there is no limit on seating.
Senior Info page: Click HERE to access info about:
- Senior Outreach Day...Next Wednesday, Oct. 13, is Testing Day for underclassmen and Outreach Day for seniors. If you haven't already filled out the required form, do so now. Click here: OUTREACH
- Ordering your Senior Tribute Ad--the final deadline is November 19. Turn in your ad materials now because no submissions will be accepted after the final deadline. See info below as well as the FAQ on the flyer linked on the Senior Canvas page. Still have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Let us know how you want your senior's name printed on the diploma, along with authorizing the release of your student's transcript
- And MORE!
We will update the Canvas page as new info becomes available.
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ email@example.com .
Advanced Placement (AP) Exam Info (new)
For the 2022 AP exams, students at Blue Valley North High School will be registering online. Online Exam registration will begin today and end on Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 4:00 PM. The AP exam registration process is two steps, but both can be completed in one sitting when the student and parent/guardian do this together. Even if you do not plan to take the AP exam, you need to complete both 2-3 steps to access the College Board’s AP resources. Both 2-3 steps must be completed in order to have AP exams ordered:
Step 1: Begin the process at the BVN Counseling Canvas Page to watch the video walking you through how to register for your AP exam as well as how to access your join codes at https://bvusd.instructure.com/courses/76177/pages/ap-testing.
Step 2: After watching the videos, Click on the AP Registration Website link. You will indicate both the AP courses you are taking this year and the exams you wish to take. You will receive your join codes and directions to complete the second required step. Any exam fees will be paid online so be sure to have a debit card or credit card available before beginning registration. Paying online is a great way to make sure that payment has been made while avoiding mailing payment. (the video shows the Mail option, but we HIGHLY recommend credit/debit cards for a timely payment)
Step 3: Use the join codes provided at the completion of step one to enroll the student's AP courses and exams in the College Board's system.
This year each AP exam costs $108.00. Blue Valley North High School desires that every student be able to take their AP exams. Students requiring financial assistance should contact Catie Bosch, firstname.lastname@example.org, or go to Student Services to learn more.
Here are the important dates for the registration process:
- Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 1:44 PM - Registration Begins
- Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 3:00 PM - Registrations and payments after this date will incur a $40 late fee per exam.
- Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 4:00 PM - Registration Ends
- Mon, Mar 14, 2022 - Registrations that have not been paid for will be cancelled and exams will not be ordered.
- Thu, Mar 10, 2022 - Last day to cancel an exam and receive a full refund.
Please contact Catie Bosch, email@example.com, if you would like to register for an exam not listed or have any questions.
American Mathematics Competition
The AMC (American Mathematics Competition) test https://www.maa.org/math-competitions/about-amc will be administered online this year on Tuesday, November 16, 2021. The AMC test is being administered in the fall this year instead of January or February. BVN will be administering the AMC 10/12 B test only. The cost of the test is $10, which is an increase in price from previous years. If you are interested in taking the AMC test, please complete the following form by Monday, October 18. In addition, you must bring your payment of $10 to Mrs. Colwell in Room 238 on or before Tuesday, October 19 at 3:00 p.m.
National Honor Society
Mandatory induction practice is Monday, November 8, 2021 at 7:00 a.m. and Mandatory Induction is Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 6:30.p.m. upon approval of candidacy.
Drama Department Announcements
CLUE-October 15th and 16th at 7:00pm, in the Little Theatre (new info)
Guest Stars Include:
Joel Goldberg--the voice of the Kansas City Royals and parent of BVN’s own Ellie Goldberg, who is also cast in the show! Joel has spent more than a quarter century on television. Joel has worked in four markets during a 25+ year career, covering two World Series Championship teams and thousands of baseball games—not to mention multiple Super Bowls, NHL playoffs and NCAA March Madness basketball games.
Jason Sickel--Kansas Teacher of the Year, 2017 and BVN’s Director of Choirs. You’re accustomed to enjoying his work through the performances of his students, but in Clue you’ll get to see him in the spotlight too!
Come on out, see if you can spot these two and figure out “Who done it?”.
To purchase tickets, individuals need to go to https://bvnathletics.com/event-tickets (Links to an external site.).
Durham Bus Riders (updated)
Durham will continue to transport our bus riders in the 2021-22 school year. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492. The best time to call is between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. when more staff are available to answer questions.
Durham Bus Services has three helpful tools for families with bus riders. Registration is required each year for families as bus routes and participants change:
- Bus Tracker: The Blue Valley Durham location will be using the Bus Tracker mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. To use the app, users will create an account that is tied to an email address of the user’s choice. The tool will allow account users to follow the route of a specific bus. Durham is updating daily when a scheduled backup bus is being used for a planned maintenance activity. If a bus is replaced with a quick turnaround due to an unforeseen event, Durham dispatch will make the switch on Bus Tracker at their next opportunity to update the app.
- Text Messaging: Families are still encouraged to sign up for Durham Text Messaging. The system is designed to share the “why” as Bus Tracker is designed to tell the “where”. To sign up for Durham Text Messaging visit www.bluevalleydurham.com.
- E-Link: Allows for verification of a student’s transportation information (i.e., stop location, bus # and pick-up and drop off times) based on the input of grade and home address. To access E-Link, go to www.bluevalleydurham.com.
BVN Fall Activity Guide
Please take a look through the BVN Mustang Club's Fall Activity Guide! Here is a link to the on-line edition: https://anyflip.com/qzkqi/mgfd/
This is a great way to see photos of the athletic teams & performing arts students, find out more about their coaches and directors, and read a greeting from the BVN Principal & the Mustang Club Presidents. Please take time to see the advertisements from our corporate partners and give them your business whenever possible. We thank them for their support of the Mustang Club and our Blue Valley North students. Enjoy!
Please Join The Mustang Club during 2021-22!
After looking through the Fall Activity Guide, we hope you will be inspired to join The Mustang Club (the former BVN Parent Booster Club).
It financially supports BVN's extracurricular activities (similar to a PTO/PTA), and over the last 6 years, has granted over a half million dollars to support our school’s extracurricular activities, organizations, and athletic teams. We could not provide the depth and breadth of opportunities without your help through memberships and donations of your time.
The Mustang Club needs your support! Membership is down and volunteers are in short supply. Here are some options for you to consider:
· Become a Mustang Club member at one of the five membership levels;
· Purchase spirit wear from The Mustang Club website (www.bvnmustangs.com);
· Volunteer on a Mustang Club committee to support a specific event or cause. We specifically need a VP of Activities and a President Elect; and
· Take advantage of sponsorships for companies wanting to support BVN financially.
Thank you for your support and consideration and GO MUSTANGS!
SAVE THE Date - Buckaroo Bash January 29, 2022
You will not want to miss the biggest and best parent party in the Blue Valley School District! This fundraising event is a massive support for our students, and our hope is that this year’s event is an even bigger success than the last Bash, at which we made almost $28,000 to support our kids’ activities!
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is published most Fridays during the school year. North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org .
BVN Main Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
On Friday, October 1, the office will be closed due to after school conferences Sept. 27-30.