Olympic Hills Family Newsletter
We look forward to welcoming back students in preschool and the Focus program on Monday, March 29th, and students in K-5 on April 5th! I know you are juggling communications and decisions, and supporting your children through this transition. Whether your students return to school or continue learning remotely, we are committed to ensuring they have a great last 11 weeks of the school year.
Can we still submit the family survey?
The survey deadline closed, but you can email your response to Joyce Phitts (email@example.com).
Will we have an a.m. and p.m. cohort?
It is looking like we will only have an a.m. cohort for most grades from 8:00am-10:45am. We will know for sure next week.
When will I find out my child's teacher and schedule?
We are working on this now and will be able to share with you next week. Many students will be able to stay with their current teacher. There will be some changes in certain grades.
Do we have an update on transportation?
The district changed the bell times to 8:00am in order to provide bus transportation for more schools. They are prioritizing Title 1 elementary schools, so we are very hopeful Olympic Hills will be on the list. I will update you all next week as we find out more information.
Will meals be served at school? Will Olympic Hills still be a meal site?
- Students will receive a bag of lunch and breakfast to take home each day. They are expected to eat their lunch and breakfast at home. Students will not eat meals at school except in some circumstances they could have a snack during outside recess time.
- We will continue to be a meal site for students who are remote learning.
Do students have to quarantine if they go out of state during spring break? If so, will they be able to join remote classes?
The school district announced that students who travel out of state will need to quarantine for 7 days upon returning if they have a negative Covid test and 10 days if they do not take a test. Students in this situation will be able to join remote classes during their quarantine period.
When are the Family Orientation Sessions on April 1 for K-5 Students Returning to In-Person?
- 4pm English Click here to join the meeting
- 4:45pm Tigrinya and Amharic Click here to join the meeting
- 5:30 Vietnamese Click here to join the meeting
- 6:15 Spanish Click here to join the meeting
We look forward to seeing many of you at the Beep and Greet and family orientation meetings. As questions arise, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
3/26 Class Memory Book Photo Day
3/29 Return to In-Person Learning for Preschool & Focus
3/29-3/31 Asynchronous learning & 4/1-4/2 Synchronous remote for Kindergarten - 5th grade
3/31 Beep and Greet
4/5 Return to In-Person Learning for Kindergarten - 5th grade
4/12-4/16 Spring Break
Friday March 26 is Class Memory Book Photo Day! Bronwen from our Memory Book team will be popping into class Teams links to snap a screenshot of each whole remote class. Feel free to wear a picture day outfit or Otter gear if you want! We are excited to include your class photo in the Memory Book in this very memorable year!
Multicultural Cookbook Project! Recipes due 4/23
The ELL Department is excited to announce the Olympic Hills Multicultural Cookbook project! We look forward to receiving recipes from all of you!
- Recipe templates are linked here: Somali, Vietnamese, Spanish, Tigrinya, Arabic, English
- You can text or email recipes to Mr. Alberto – include photos if you’d like. firstname.lastname@example.org (512)-557-7052
- Please feel free to just take a photo of your recipe as it is in your cookbook and send it that way if you’d like. (Please include your name.) Recipes in home languages are welcome!
- Paper copies of the template will be sent home at the Beep and Greet on March 31st. These can be returned to school if you’d like to send in that way. Or you can take a photo of it and text to Mr. Alberto.
- We are so excited to be able to give every family a copy of the Olympic Hills Multicultural Cookbook after it is published.
- Below is an example from Ms. Rothmeyer!
Beep and Greet 3/31 for all students
- Materials provided: Multicultural Cookbook recipe template for families, memory book order form, spring break activity, and Otter Gear order form.
- Schedule: 4:00-4:30 preschool, 1st, 4th. 4:30-5:00 2nd & 5th. 5:00-5:30 Kinder & 3rd.
- Supply donation: Please consider donating the following materials that we will use to create individual student materials bins for students returning to the building: pencils, small pencil sharpeners, crayons, markers, scissors, and glue sticks. Thank you!
Kindergarten and New Student Enrollment
For incoming kindergarten students or new students, registration is now open. Please spread the word and encourage friends and neighbors to register at the Enroll My Student webpage.
Nathan Hale Resources
Technology Resource Center at Nathan Hale: Mondays and Wednesdays 11:00am to 6:00pm, lunch from 1:30 to 2:30pm. Still first come, first served. No appointments can be made.
Family Works at Nathan Hale: Wednesdays 12:45pm-3:00pm. An organization called FamilyWorks is providing Family Support Services to help families navigate various services and resources. They will be staffed with individuals who speak Somali, Spanish and English.
Medical Clinic at Nathan Hale: This year, the clinic is open to students of all ages who attend Seattle Public Schools. The nurse practitioners there can see students who need a physical, vaccines, a medication refill, or to complete medical forms required for school, among many other primary care needs. Services are free regardless of insurance or ability to pay. Call (206) 302-1840 to schedule an appointment.
Olympic Hills Elementary School
School Office Hours and Contact Information: