Westland Update for Week of Oct 29
A Note from the Desk of Ms. Serino, Westland principal
THIS WEEK- The Week of Oct 30
Mental Health Awareness Week- On Monday, October 30th we celebrate mental health awareness. Our counselors and school psychologist will lead us through ways to keep our minds and our hearts healthy. (see below)
Halloween Costumes- We welcome Halloween costumes on Tuesday, October 31st. Masks need to come off during classes! And no look alike (or real) weapons.
Last Day of MP1- The last day of marking period 1 is Tuesday, October 31st.
Cafeteria Lost and Found to Be Emptied Oct 31- We will be clearing out the lost and found racks in the cafeteria after lunches on October 31st. Please encourage your child to come by to claim a missing item. (see below)
No School on Nov 1- There is no school for students on Wednesday, November 1st so teachers can complete grades.
Immersion Parent/Principal Conversation- On Wednesday, November 1st at 6:30 PM immersion parents are invited to talk with Ms. Serino, Ms. Daly and Ms. Deandreis. (see below for details)
MP2 Starts on Nov 2- The first day of MP2 is Thursday, November 2nd. Almost every class remains the same except TEACHER and TEACHER students move from PE to health education.
Cross Country Meet and Girls Softball Game on Nov 2- Westland hosts athletes from Cabin John on our fields at 3:15. Westland student fans are encouraged to attend.
Magnet School Application Due Date- Friday, November 3rd is the deadline for 8th graders to apply to high school magnet programs. (see below)
Wear Green on Friday, November 3rd- Support our "no stigma" campaign to encourage people to access mental health supports. (see below)
NOVEMBER marks the start of American Indian Heritage Month as well as Remembrance and Reconciliation Month in Montgomery County, MD. Stay tuned for more information on both.
Looking Ahead- The Week of November 6
8th Grade Social/Staff v. Student Kickball Game- On Thursday, November 9th our 8th grade students will battle our staff in a kickball showdown.
Veterans' Day Recognized- While the federal government recognizes Veterans' Day with a holiday on Friday, November 10th, school is IN SESSION.
IN AND AROUND OUR CLASSROOMS
LOST AND FOUND TO BE EMPTIED OCT 31
NOVEMBER 1 is EMANCIPATION DAY in MARYLAND
MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS WEEK!
STUDENT SERVICE LEARNING (SSL) OPPORTUNITIES
FOR 8th GRADERS AND FAMILIES
UPCOMING SPORTS EVENTS
WHAT'S NEW IN STAR?
CALENDAR- NEW EVENTS ADDED IN BOLD
- American Indian Heritage Month
- Remembrance and Reconciliation Month
- W, 11/1- Emancipation Day in Maryland
- W, 11/1- No School for Students
- W, 11/1- Zoom Dialogue with Parents of Current Immersion Students, 6:30 PM
- Th, 11/2- First Day of Marking Period 2
- Th, 11/2- Prospective Parent/Student Visit for Families of Immersion Students
- Th, 11/2- Girls Softball and Cross Country host Cabin John at Home @ 3:15
- F, 11/3- Deadline for 8th graders to apply for High School Magnet Programs
- Th, 11/9- Homeroom for report card distribution
- Th, 11/9- 8th Grade Social (Staff v. Student Kickball)
- F, 11/10- Veterans' Day is Recognized- SCHOOL IS IN SESSION!
- Th, 11/16- Prospective Parent/Student Visit
- M, 11/20- Early release day- students dismissed at 12:30 PM
- Tu, 11/21- Early release day- students dismissed at 12:30 PM
- W, 11/22-F 11/24- No School- Thanksgiving Week
- Tu, 11/28- Half of 7th Grade Travels to Finance Park
- W, 11/29- Half of 7th Grade Travels to Finance Park