GCS Media Matters
Upcoming Task and Dates to Remember for this Week.
Please gather your GCS Reads 20 minutes from Dec. 1 to Dec. 31 and enter the totals at the link. (This total should include any holiday reading minutes as well.)
Celebrate National Clean Off Your Desk Day
With our Media Center Transformation Challenge well underway, let’s take this opportunity to make 2016 our most organized year ever. To kick it off, there’s no better way to get started than by sharing! Simply post a photo or video of your clean desk or how you clean off your desk to Instagram and tag it with #GCSCleanDeskDay16 or email them to me. We will have a little fun with it at our next PLC.
This Week January 11-15
Holiday Reading Challenge
- To be eligible for incentives all reading logs should be turned into Media Specialists by January 15, 2016.
- Media Specialists should then turn in the names of eligible students to Tammy Gruer by January 22, 2016. An email with specific instructions has already been sent.
- Winners will be announced the week of January 25, 2016.
Dates to Remember
- Jan. 22 Holiday Reading Challenge Names Due to Media Services
- Jan. 21 Teacher Workday
- Jan. 22 Teacher Workday
- Jan. 25 YA Lit. Meeting Scuppernong, Greensboro
- Jan. 26 Holiday Reading Challenge Winners will be announced this week
- Jan. 27 Celebrate Multicultural Children's Book Day
ESSA Opportunities for School Librarians
School library provisions, recently included in the Every Student Succeeds Act, affirm the value that school library media programs add to a child’s education and promises to make this an exciting year for school library media programs.
UPCOMING BOB DEADLINES
The facility payment for elementary, middle, and high schools Battle of the Books will be $100.
It is due ON or BEFORE December 11th, 2015.
Please make check payable to Guilford County Board of Education. School checks and PTA checks are acceptable.
Send all payments to Robin Gonsiewski, Accounting, Eugene Street.
THIS FEE IS NONREFUNDABLE. A commitment to play is a commitment to pay. If you have any questions, please call Jackie at 370-2357
Deadlines extended for global education summer abroad programs. New deadline is January 15, 2016. Please apply or share with faculty at your school. Click on the links below for additional information.
NCAE National Board Boot Camp!
National Board Certification Winter Weekend Seminar
- February 4-6, 2016 – Raleigh, NC
- Open to ALL Candidates – Initial, Advanced & Renewal!
- Register Online at http://bit.ly/ncaenbc
What is it?
- This two day support session for ALL Candidates is being held in Raleigh on February 4-6, 2016! Candidates will be provided an opportunity to work, and will have NBCTs with a wide swath of expertise available to bounce ideas and critique products.
How much will it cost?
- NCAE Members - $175 Non-NCAE Members - $400
The Seminar Includes…
- · Dinner on Thursday, February 4;
- · Breakfast and Lunch on Friday, February 5;
- · Breakfast and Lunch on Saturday, February 6. We will also help coordinate group dinners out in Raleigh on Friday, February 5.
- NCAE will provide lodging (hotel rooms) at the Holiday Inn Raleigh North (2805 Highwoods Blvd.) for February 4 & 5. (Lodging is limited and provided on a first come, first served basis at double occupancy.) Single rooms are available for an additional $100.
Registration for our 2016 NCTIES Conference is now open!
- Last, NCTIES proudly offers two $2000 Scholarship opportunities. One will be awarded to a student pursuing a graduate degree/certification in Instructional Technology; the other to a student pursuing a graduate degree/certification in School Library Media. The DEADLINE for these Scholarships is NEXT Thursday, January 14, 2016.
Librarian to Librarian Conference
Several performance indicators on the school library media coordinator rubric relate to leading professional development. ECU's Librarian to Librarian Networking Summit may give SLMCs an opportunity to implement these indicators. The planning committee is currently accepting session proposals.
Do you want to suggest a title for NEXT Year's HS BOB List?
- · Read 4 books using the “BINGO” chart
- · Create some sort of online “presentation” of each book using Web 2.0 tools. (The idea is to learn the programs as well as share them.)
- · Attend the sharing sessions
- · Submit your links via Canvas
- January 25 – Scuppernong, Greensboro
- February 23 – Amoroso’s, High Point
Karen has added most of you who attended the last meeting to the Canvas class. When you login into your NCED Cloud account you can click on Canvas. Take some time to explore Canvas and we will discuss it at our next meeting.
If you were not at our first meeting, please let me know if you want to participate and I will add you to the Canvas class.
Library Media Services
Have a wonderful week!
Remember: If you would like text reminders about media services events text @mediaspe to (469)209-4439
Employee of the Month
CLICK HERE to nominate someone for Employee of the Month.