Facilitating the process of Learning and Understanding
A graphic display to aid the process of learning and represent knowledge.
A concept map is a graphic organizer that will help to:
Enhance the process of brainstorming and generating new ideas.
Encourage new discoveries and propositions that connect them.
Make it easier to communicate thoughts and ideas more clearly.
Merge old concepts with new/updated concepts.
Promote the desire to gain enhanced knowledge and provide clarity of understanding.
LET'S GET THE BRAINSTORM GOING!
- Start with a main idea, thought or subject.
- Identify a focus question -- ie., what needs to be solved; OR, what is the conclusion that is trying to be reached.
- List out key concepts that connect to the main idea.
- Rank the key concepts -- 1) The most general, inclusive concepts come first. 2) Then link to smaller, more specific concepts.
- Use shapes such as circles or rectangles to contain the supporting concepts.
- Connect the concepts; use linking phrases.
- Use cross links to connect concepts in different areas of the map.
LET'S GIVE IT A TRY!!
Trees have great importance in our everyday life, providing the world with many benefits.
How do trees support the environment?
Let's start with a list of some concepts related to trees:
- Oxygen, which relates to Humans, Plants, Animals.
- Wood, which relates to Houses, Paper, Furniture.