January 2019 HAPPY NEW YEAR!
New Student Enrollment for the 2019-20 School Year
Classical School's application period for the 2019-2020 school year is December 1, 2018 through February 15, 2019. A completed application must be returned by February 15th for any siblings, including incoming kindergarteners, of current K-8 Classical School students. Only those applications for siblings returned by February 15th will receive priority in the lottery for enrollment placement or waiting list order. Applications received after February 15th will not be included in the lottery, and those students will be added to the end of any waiting list for their grade in the order applications are received.
The online application may be accessed here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeAq6VxMefi7pHO2qOvHLztJ_21sJzuBiAtt4bjvuRVhDcxeQ/viewform. Alternatively, paper applications are available outside the school office.
Please see the school website http://www.classicalcharter.com/prospective-families/application-procedure/ if you have questions about the lottery process, or contact Joanne Bielmeier at email@example.com.
*Classical School informational nights for prospective families wishing to learn more about our program will be held:
Wednesday, January 9th from 6:30 -- 7:30 pm in Room 122
Wednesday, February 6th from 6:30 -- 7:30 pm in Room 122
Please join us!*
Grades 4-6 Strings & Grade 5/6 Band Concert - Thursday, January 10th 7:00-8:00 pm
- Students should arrive at 6:30 pm for tuning and warming up. Notify the teacher two weeks in advance if your student will not be in attendance.
- Students should dress nicely to show pride in presenting their music to the community! School and concert dress codes (black bottoms, white top) will be enforced.
- Gentlemen: black dress pants, white button-down/polo shirt, dress shoes (if possible), any color tie (required for middle school, optional for elementary).
- Ladies: knee-length or longer (especially cello players) black skirt, dress, or dress pants, nice white shirt/blouse without words, dress shoes (if possible).
Classical School Rockin' 50s and 60s School Dance!
Get ready to shake, rattle, and roll as Classical School celebrates the groovy music of the 1950s and 1960s with a family dance on Friday, January 18th from 6:00 – 7:30pm. Girls, dig out your poodle skirts or capris, bobby socks, and saddle shoes. Boys, get your blue jeans, white t-shirts, and cool sunglasses ready. With the help of our DJ, we are going to dance to the music that defined rock-n-roll. Our “drive-in” will offer popcorn, lemonade, and glow necklaces. You’ll also have an opportunity to show off your Hula Hooping skills during our Hula Hoop contest. More information and volunteer sign-ups will be coming in January.
*Thank you, Dia Thao & Annie Knudson, for coordinating this event for Classical School families!
Winter Athletic Teams (7th & 8th Graders)
All potential players MUST have an updated physical or alternate year physical form on file in the Classical School office prior to the first practice. You can pick up those forms in the Classical School office.
You will not be able to practice unless you have the proper forms turned in before practice starts.
You can find more information about the Einstein/Classical athletics program on the district website or by calling the Einstein office. Coaches update the sport web page closer to the start of the season. Please see the link below to the sport web page.
4K Enrollment Information
Site visits begin January 14th
Enrollment begins February 4th
Is Your child Well Enough to go to School?
Fever: A fever of 100 degrees or more signals an illness that is probably going to make a student uncomfortable and unable to function well in class. Your child should stay home until his or her temperature is less than 100 degrees (without the use of fever-reducing medication) for a day and he/she is feeling better.
Vomiting, Diarrhea or Severe Nausea: These are symptoms that require a student to remain at home until a normal diet is tolerated the night before and the morning of school.
Infectious Diseases: Diseases such as impetigo, pink eye with thick drainage, and strep throat require a health care provider’s visits and prescription for medication. Contacting the health care provider and using the medicine as directed for the full recommended length of time are necessary. A student may return to school 24 hours after the first dose of an antibiotic and if he/she is feeling well.
Rashes: Rashes or patches of broken, itchy skin need to be examined by a health care provider if they appear to be spreading or not improving.
Injuries: If a student has an injury that causes continuous discomfort, the student should not attend school until the condition is checked by a health care provider or it improves. Injuries that interfere with class participation need a medical evaluation. If participation in physical education classes is not recommended, a health care provider’s excuse is required.
Six Flags Read to Succeed
Six hours of free choice reading needs to be recorded on the yellow reading log in order to earn a free ticket to Six Flags. Extra reading logs are available outside the school. Reading logs are due February 15th.
Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Spring Parent-Teacher conferences for K-6 will be held Tuesday, March 5th, Wednesday, March 6th, and Thursday, March 7th from 4:00 -- 6:15 pm. Spring Parent-Teacher conferences for 7/8 will be held Tuesday, March 5th and Wednesday, March 6th from 4:00-6:15 pm.
- You will receive an email from Signup.com around February 1st to schedule your child's conference with their homeroom teacher.
- due to time constraints on conference nights, you may sign up with your child's homeroom teacher only. If you would like to speak with your child's reading or math teacher, please email or call that teacher directly.
- Please remember to factor in passing time if you are scheduling with multiple teachers.
- You may choose to schedule a conference with your child's Spanish, music, art, physical education on signup.com as well.
Middle School conferences: 7th & 8th grade
- MS conferences will be by teacher or parent request only on March 6th & 7th.
- If a teacher would like to request a conference with you, a note will be sent home with your child containing the link to the SignUp website.
- You may also request a conference with a particular teacher. The SignUp link for parent requests will go out around February 1st.
- If you do not have a concern, please do not feel obligated to request a conference for your child.
- If you have a question regarding conferences, please email teachers directly.
Ms. VanRyzin mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org History, Algebra & Geometry
Ms. Cote mailto:email@example.com English & Logic
Ms. Eastman mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org Art
Sra. Cihlar mailto:email@example.com Spanish
Ms. Kottman mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org Choir
Ms. Juhl mailto:email@example.com Band
Mr. Heckner mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org Orchestra
Mr. Gilbert mailto:email@example.com Physical Education
First Quarter Middle School Honor Roll
7th GRADE HONOR ROLL
Highest Honors: 3.90 – 4.00
Maryam Abdel Azim
With Honors: 3.33 – 3.89
Maria Suarez Pereyra
8th GRADE HONOR ROLL
Highest Honors: 3.90 – 4.00
With Honors: 3.33 – 3.89
Miranda Neitzke Pizarro
- Please be sure to include a card for each student in the classroom to avoid hurt feelings.
- Students may include one small, inexpensive non-food item per Valentine card such as a pencil, small set of stickers, etc.
- Poster contest starts February 14th with posters due February 27th. Students may pick up poster paper from the school office.
- Official kickoff day for KAT is Friday, March 15, 2019! Teachers perform an inspirational skit in the Forum and students receive their question booklets.
- March 18th - 21st is Star Week. Students answer questions in the Forum during lunch to earn prizes.
- April 1st - April 5th is Lottery Lollapalooza. Students answer KAT questions in homeroom and names are picked for prizes.
- April 8th - April 12th is Bingo Bonanza week. Students who would like to participate can play Bingo during lunch recess to win prizes.
- April 15th - April 18th is KAT Spirit Week. Stay tuned for fun activities throughout the week.
- April 18th is KAT Testing day. Students may dress up as a question or answer.
Students will receive their booklet of questions on Friday, March 15th relating to their respective grade's curriculum. If you would like to showcase your business or your employer's business in our Knowledge-A-Thon question booklet, simply send in your business card/electronic copy and a check made out to Classical School in an envelope to school labeled "Linda Kemps (KAT)." Half-page ads cost $25.00 and full-page ads are $50.00. Booklets are viewed by over 350 Classical families!
Poster Contest: hang posters in the school, take pictures of each poster, and pick contest winners
Star Week: Ask students KAT questions during their lunch hour indoors
Lottery Lollapaloosa: "Man" the prize table after school
Bingo Bonanza: Oversee Bingo in the classroom during lunch recess
To volunteer download the Volunteer Registration form below and return it to the school office.
Food Service Note: Negative Balances
The school district is addressing negative student food service account balances and are asking for your help! If your child(ren) currently maintains a negative food service balance, please remit the negative amount as soon as possible to your child’s school or online through Infinite Campus. If paying by check or money order, please make payable to AASD and include their name and grade when sending to your child’s school.
Free and reduced meal price applications may be submitted at any time during the school year. Completion of this application is required annually. Until approval is granted, the family is responsible for all charges incurred up to ten days after the application is received. You can submit an application online through Infinite Campus or pick up an application at your school office.
If you have any questions on your account or need to set up a payment plan, please contact Foodservice at 920-832-1719 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also follow this link to access that program: https://appleton.typingclub.com/
Ms. Elms is offering an after school session once a week during the third quarter for 3rd-6th grade students who would like to practice this program from 3:00-3:30 pm. Forms were sent home in the Pegasus Flyers before Winter Break. Please contact her to see if she has any seats available for your student if you are interested. mailto:email@example.com
7th + 8th Girls and Boys Track + Field
The Girls and Boys Track + Field season starts Monday, April 1st. That is the first day back from Spring Break. There will be practice after school from 3:30 to 5:00 pm. Student athletes MUST have an updated Physical or Alternate Year Physical form and Concussion form on file in the main office prior to the first practice. Set up your physical now for your son or daughter if they need one to participate. Athletes will not be able to practice if their updated physical forms are not turned in. All athletic forms are available in the office.
Listen for announcements – The sign-up meeting will be in late February.
Questions: Please e-mail:
Mrs. Holtebeck (HOLTEBECKHOLLI@aasd.k12.wi.us)
Mrs. Mick (MICKLAURA@aasd.k12.wi.us)
with any questions.
Wednesday, January 2, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Wednesday, January 2, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 &126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM
Thursday, January 3, 2019 NO AFTER SCHOOL STUDY HALL
Thursday, January 3, 2019 NO HOMEWORK HELP
Thursday, January 3, 2019 Meeting : CCSA Board Rm L08 6:30 PM -- 8:30 PM
Friday, January 4, 2019 7/8 Ski Trip Nordic Mountain 2:45 PM -- 11:30 PM
Tuesday, January 8, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Tuesday, January 8, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 &,126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM
Wednesday, January 9, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Wednesday, January 9, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 &126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM
Wednesday, January 9, 2019 Meeting : Information Session Rm 122 6:30 PM -- 8:30 PM
Thursday, January 10, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Thursday, January 10, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 --126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM
Thursday, January 10, 2019 Gr. 4-6 Strings & Gr. 5/6 Band Concert Forum 7:00 PM -- 8:00 PM
Friday, January 11, 2019 7/8 Ski Trip Nordic Mountain 2:45 PM -- 11:30 PM
Saturday, January 12, 2019 All School Fair City Center Plaza - 2nd Flr 10:00 AM -- 12:00 PM
Tuesday, January 15, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Tuesday, January 15, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 &126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM
Wednesday, January 16, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Wednesday, January 16, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 & 126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM
Thursday, January 17, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Thursday, January 17, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 & 126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM
Friday, January 18, 2019 End of Quarter 2 & Sem 1
Friday, January 18, 2019 Rock'n 50s/60s Dance Forum 6:00 PM -- 7:30 PM
Monday, January 21, 2019 No School in observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Tuesday, January 22, 2019 Elementary School Arbitrary Monday
Tuesday, January 22, 2019 Gimmes renew for grades 2-8
Tuesday, January 22, 2019 Start of 3rd Quarter
Tuesday, January 22, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Tuesday, January 22, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 &126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM
Wednesday, January 23, 2019 Geography Bee
Wednesday, January 23, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Wednesday, January 23, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 &126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM
Thursday, January 24, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Thursday, January 24, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 & 126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM
Friday, January 25, 2019 7/8 Ski Trip Nordic Mountain 2:45 PM -- 11:30 PM
Tuesday, January 29, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Tuesday, January 29, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 &126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM
Wednesday, January 30, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Wednesday, January 30, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 &126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM
Thursday, January 31, 2019 After School Study Hall Rm L08 3:00 PM -- 3:50 PM
Thursday, January 31, 2019 Homework Help Rms 122 & 126 3:00 PM -- 4:00 PM