Sadler Means YWLA
Week of 2/1-2-5/2016
In the month of January 2016...
Ms. Terry won 2016 Teacher of the Year! Congratulations, Ms. Terry! YOU ROCK!
Students learned about value in Art class.
Our AVID students represented YWLA at the AISD MLK Program.
The Philanthropy Club attended the Youth Summit.
Our Cheer Squad represented at the YMLA basketball games.
We had the best MLK/Welcome Sylvan/ Mr. Alarcon wears a skirt assembly ever!
Our 7th graders visited the Texas Rolling River Exhibit.
Our teachers showed of their talents...Star Wars Style!
Our CATCH night allowed for our Dragons to taste fresh veggies!
Ms. Natalino's class did a text structure scavenger hunt!
Our Gamma Sigma girls enjoyed an etiquette class.
Our VAPA/Clubs showed off for our incoming Dragons...and it was AWESOME!
Our Girls Conference got the students and parents movin'! #healthybodyhealthymind
In the words of Edrianna T., January was "live!" Now onto February...
Ignite Attendance and Grade Recovery Program
The IGNITE program at Sadler Means YWLA is for students to regain core course credit due to attendance issues or failure. This program serves as an opportunity for the student to receive extra academic attention, to make up absences from first semester, and to avoid retention.
IGNITE will take place every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, February 2nd -March 10th from 4:00-6:00pm on the YWLA campus. Attendance is mandatory.
All students will receive dinner. AISD transportation or Capital Metro bus passes will be provided if needed.
IGNITE is being implemented in concordance with the Texas Education Code recently recognized by Austin ISD which states "...any grade level from kindergarten through grade 12 may not be given credit or a final grade for a class unless the student is in attendance for at least 90 percent of the days the class is offered."
For additional information please contact Joanne Clark, Assistant Principal, or Brittany Capps, Graduation Coach, at (512)414-3234.
Purple Stars-Accepting Nominations for February 2016
The Purple Star initiative is now in full effect! Be on the lookout for those students who are going above and beyond! Begin sending nominations of students you find “caught being good” or are going above and beyond to CIS Caseworker Kiki Lewis. Nomination forms have been placed in your boxes; extra forms can also be found in the teacher work room and teachers’ lounge. Paper nominations can be submitted to the CIS mailbox. You may also submit nominations electronically to Ms. Kiki at firstname.lastname@example.org (please include name, grade, and reason for nomination in email).
Note that this is an initiative to recognize students for their great behavior but can also be for those students who have shown great improvements in other areas as well. We look forward to recognizing our first group of students at the end of February so get those nominations in!"
AISD Schools of Choice
MOY II Testing 2/10-2/11/2016
MOY testing is coming up on Wednesday the 10th (Math) and Thursday the 11th (Reading). Please make sure that you bring a book to read for when testing is over. If you need a library book, check one out today!
Dragons Got Talent!
Thank you to all of the faculty members who came out to see the girls!
If you would like your pictures in the Newsletter, please tweet them on twitter or share them with Ms. Savina or Ms. Benson!
- Check out Ms. Thompson's bulletin board in honor of African American Heritage Month! It's in the main hallway!
- Wear Red Day- Red Shirts, Blue jeans (no holes), tennis shoes, boots, no heels.
- Happy Counselor Appreciation Week! Please thank our incredible counseling team for all that they do! They live life in the trenches!
- Thank a co-worker today for something they did that was meaningful to you!
- 100th day of school- DRESS LIKE YOU'RE 100!!! Points for participation and Creativity!
- Advisory teachers, please put in points for students who participate! Plus one for creativity. These points do not count against your daily total.
- Yearbook Jeans Pass Day- Orange wristbands were passed out to the students and faculty members who purchased a yearbook. These awesome people will get to wear jeans and a Spirit Shirt!
- CFES Mentoring Groups- please look for directions and discussion topics in an email to come.
- NCGS: Global Forum on Girl's Education (Savina, Benson, Wartel, and Capps)