The Wise Wing
This Week #ontheHil
It's a short week this week, but we are full of joy as we celebrate the work and dedication of our amazing WCPSS bus drivers. If your child rides a bus, please join us in celebrating them with love, cards, or simply an extra, "Thank You!"
- It's Love the Bus Week! Help us celebrate our amazing bus drivers this week.
- We are actively looking for a PreK IA for our PreK Program! Any leads or interest should be sent to Mrs. Walker!
Twos-Day Celebration for 2/22/22
Did you hear? Our new Assistant Principal joins our nest on Tuesday, February 22, 2022!! Please join in a warm welcome for Ms. Huntley!
Dreambox Math SuperHawks⭐
Congratulations to these math rock stars! They are leading their grade level in math challenges on DreamBox!!
Elementary Math Stars
Kindergarten: Enzo V.
1st Grade: Skylar S.
2nd Grade: Ina C.
3rd Grade: Y'eve H.
4th Grade: Nuran M.
5th Grade: Maryam M.
Middle School Math Stars
Dates to Remember
- Monday, February 21: WCPSS Teacher Workday
- Tuesday, February 22: Twos Day (Tutu's, Tiaras, Ties, Tye-Dye Day)
- Friday, February 25: Black History Month Art Contest Submissions Due!
- Monday, February 28: Black History Month Mystery Reader Day
- Friday, March 18: WCPSS Teacher Workday
- Friday, March 25: Last Day of Quarter 3
- Monday, March 28: WCPSS Teacher Workday
- Friday, April 1: Report Card Day
- Rising 9th grade recommendations were sent home on Thursday. Please review this document and reach out to the classroom teacher with any questions. Recommendations for Social Studies were made by Mr. Clark but were input by Mrs. Pendergraft so please reach out to Mr. Clark with any questions. This document does not need to be signed and returned to the school.
- The recording of the rising 9th grade parent night will be uploaded to the Hilburn website soon. Please continue to check the website if you missed the presentation or would like to revisit certain parts.
- 8th graders will receive their high school expectations and registration overview lesson next Wednesday, February 23rd during their Social Studies period. This lesson largely covers topics like GPA, scheduling, attendance, electives, and so on.
- Leesville Road High School is starting a Game Design Academy in partnership with Epic Games next school year. Sound like something that your child might enjoy? Ms. Farina from LRHS will be visiting campus on Wednesday, March 2nd from 10:30 to 11:30 to introduce the program, its requirements, and answer any questions you may have! If interested, sign your child up for a slot today! The visit will take place in Ms. Bass' room during 3rd period.
- *Students who attend will be expected to complete any missed assignments for their 3rd period class in a timely manner*
- **Space is limited. Students already enrolled in Ms. Bass' 3rd period do not need to register. Sign up is currently only available for 8th grade students. Slots may become available to some 7th grade students at a later date*
Help us celebrate the work of amazing women in our community all March long! Submit a shout out to an amazing woman you know or see!
Back Pack Buddies
their nutrition. One way that we do this is through the Backpack Buddies program, which we are
excited to provide for some of our students. Through the sponsorship of our PTA the program assists families who may need some extra support in supplying food and snacks for their children during the weekends.
Children participating in the program will receive a bag of food every Friday that will be placed in their backpacks in the Counseling and Student Services department. The bags will include non-perishable breakfast, lunch, and snack items to supplement what you already have in your home.
YOU ONLY NEED TO COMPLETE THIS FORM IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING 😊!
Only interested families need to complete this form! This form is sent to Mrs. Walker!
Support our Middle Hawks! Click The Picture Below!
Annual Black History Month Art Contest
The Black History Month Art Contest is BACK! This year our theme is "We Are The Dream!"
It's easy to submit an entry! Design and create a piece and either send it digitally or drop it by the office to Mrs. Walker. Digital entries should come to Mrs. Walker's email!
Hawk of the Week
P2 AND YOU
P2 Week: Cheering Others On
This element of the Other People Matter Mindset (OPM2) means that when other people succeed, you are happy for them and cheer them on.
Being happy for other people when they succeed isn’t always everyone’s initial reaction. Often, it’s easy to become jealous or envious of others’ victories – or even to experience schadenfreude, which is deriving pleasure from witnessing (or learning about) another person’s misfortune. People who have these reactions to the success or misfortune of others are colloquially known as “haters.” It’s important to note that these are natural emotions and in small doses can be helpful in allowing us to see what we care about – and motivate us to pursue those goals.