Third Grade Weekly Update
March 19-March 23, 2018
March 30- Staff and Student Holiday
April 10 and April 11- CLOSED Campus for STAAR Testing (4th and 5th grade testing)
April 14 - WatchDOGS “Daddy-Daughter Dance” will be at JES
April 17- Family Learning Night for Math
April 20- Earth Day Assembly in the Garden – everyone invited!
April 27- Northwest READS – Friday at 9:00 am. We need ONE reader per classroom. Talk to our librarian if you can help!
April 30- Legacy Walk – Seniors from NISD high schools that attended JES will walk the halls in their caps/gowns on Monday at 8:30 am.
May 14 and May 15- CLOSED Campus for STAAR Testing
May 14- 3rd Grade Math STAAR Testing
May 15- 3rd Grade Reading STAAR Testing
What We Are Learning This Week
- What are equivalent fractions?
- How can I solve problems using equivalent fractions?
Module 9 Test will be on Wednesday March 20th.
Below is the multiplication song for students to learn their skip counting! This is a great song to listen to at night or in the car. Open it and save it for easy access!
Articles for this week: "Hamburger History" and "Tacos Take Over" from Storyworks Magazine
- How do you draw conclusions when reading literary nonfiction text?
- How do you draw conclusions when reading informational text?
- How does understanding the author's purpose help you when you are reading?
- Why is the FIRE strategy important when taking a reading test?
- How can you improve your narrative writing?
- What are 4 different types of interesting beginnings?
- What is an elaborative detail and why is it important?
- Review sheet sent home Tuesday.
- Vocabulary words are from the two articles for the week.
- Grammar focus for this week is on combining sentences.
- What are ecosystems?
- How can I explore ecosystems?
We are going to be researching and creating presentations on ecosystems.
- What are the 3 branches of government?
- Why do we need 3 branches?
- What is the role of each branch?
Have you Ordered a JES Yearbook?
If you forgot, search your emails for firstname.lastname@example.org for a receipt of your online order. Yearbooks are over 72 pages of full color for only $17. Place orders at https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/index.cfm/jobSearch/displayHome Code = 20190
Deadline is April 1st.
Can’t make it to the Book Fair? Surprise your child with their favorite book or send Grandma the link! Books will ship for FREE to the school and be delivered to your child. There are also MORE titles online than are available at the school book fair. Books can be ordered up until March 21st.
Parents as Teachers Friday, April 13
If you have a child birth to age 5 and want to meet new people with children of that age group, then join us at playgroup!
There are two options for playtimes at 9:30 am. or 1:00 pm. at the Special Programs Center, 1800 State Highway 114.
Want to know more? Go to www.facebook.com/groups/NISDFamily/
SAVE THE DATE – Family Math Night
April 17th, come and go from 5:00 – 8:00 pm.