March 8, 2020
At Highcroft, we help learners grow in a safe, caring community where ALL are valued and supported to become leaders.
- 9: Girl Scout Recruitment Night, 6:00 pm, Highcroft Library
- 11: Board of Education Meeting, 7:00 pm, 471 N. Woods Mill Road
- 12: All Read, 3:25 pm - 3:45 pm
- 13: Talent Share
- 14 - 22: Spring Break
- 23 - 27: Penny Wars & Book Drive - See attached flyer
- 25: Late Start, School begins at 11:05 am
- 25: Spirit Day - Jersey Day
- 26: PSO Meeting, 7:00 pm
- 31: Special Olympics - Track & Field at South Tech
- 31: 3rd Grade Musical - Galanti, 11:55 am - 12:20 pm
- 31: 1st Grade Musical - Rudd, 2:30 pm - 2:55 pm
- 31: 2nd Grade Musical - Tilden, 3:30 pm - 3:55 pm
- 1: Book Fair, 8:50 am - 4:00 pm
- 1: Board of Education Meeting, 7:00 pm, 471 N. Woods Mill Road
- 2: Book Fair, 8:50 am - 4:00 pm
- 2: 4th Grade Field Trip to St. Charles, 9:15 am - 1:30 pm
- 2: 3rd Grade Musical - Fortmann, 11:55 am - 12:20 pm
- 2: 1st Grade Musical - Lang, 2:30 pm - 2:55 pm
- 2: 2nd Grade Musical - Cornell, 3:30 pm - 3:55 pm
- 2: Literacy Night, 'Camp Read-a-Lot', Highcroft Library, 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
- 3: Book Fair, 8:50 am - 2:00 pm
- 3: Kids Heart Challenge
- 3: Kdg Field Trip to St. Louis Zoo, 9:15 am - 1:30 pm
- 4: Trivia Night - doors open at 6:00 pm, JCC Chesterfield
I hope you and your family had the opportunity to get outdoors and enjoy the beautiful weather. Hopefully, it will stick around so students can enjoy multiple days of outdoor recess.
Thank you to all who attended parent-teacher conferences last week. Conferences are an important opportunity for teachers to share students' progress and partner with families. If you have not had the opportunity to meet with your child's teacher, please reach out to her or him and schedule a time to discuss your child's growth .
With all the news and concern at the moment about the Coronavirus-19, Nurse Hubert wants to remind everyone the best way to prevent the spread of any illness is through good hand washing. Here are her other words of advice to prevent the spread or illness.
- Keep students home when they are sick. This will help prevent others from becoming ill. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Cover coughs and sneezes. Use a tissue to cover coughs and sneezes, then dispose of the tissue. When a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces or objects. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill.
- Wash hands for 20 seconds. Washing hands often under clean, running water can help prevent the spread of germs. For more guidance see the CDC: When and How to Wash Your Hands. If you cannot wash your hands, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-95% alcohol.
The district continues to monitor the situation and work with the CDC, Missouri Health Department, and St. Louis County Health Department. There is a FAQ available regarding the COVID-19 that the district has created.
March Acts of Kindness Calendar Created By The 3rd-5th Kindness Leaders
Ms. Mayer, Art Teacher
- Kindergarten learned about the circus and then used tempera paint to paint silly clowns of their own.
- First-grade students studied the work of author, illustrator and artist Eric Carle. After listening to various books by Carle and watching a video of him paint colorful paper, they created their own paper which they used to make beautiful butterfly collages, concentrating on making them symmetrical.
- The second-grade students have been busy making “under the sea” collages on woven paper.
- In third-grade, students learned about Russia and Onion Dome cathedrals. They used a resist process to create landscapes which focused on this unique architecture.. They also tried their hand at painting abstract paintings with sponges and brushes in the style of African American artist, Alma Thomas.
- Fourth-graders studied about life in Vienna and things the city is known for. They also learned about the artist Gustav Klimt and The Vienna Succession movement. They made colorful collages inspired by his tree of life painting.
- Fifth-grade students studied facial proportions and made self-portraits using oil pastels.
A Message from MOSAICS
First Grade - Once again, our district is revising the criteria used to identify gifted learners. We will be testing appropriate students as soon as possible, but much of the testing will not take place until the beginning of second grade. Once all the testing across the district is completed, all the identified second graders will begin receiving the pull out services at the same time. If you have questions or would like more specific information, please contact me.
Second and Third Grades - We have formed our new enrichment groups for the final trimester, and we will be traveling to the Science Center for the Parkway Creative Congress event soon! Students in ELA+ this term will engage in a “Passion Pursuit” or individual project of their own choosing. Students in second grade Math+ will be creating tangram murals, and third grade Math+ participants will be introduced to the game, Equations! Our 24 Game winners were Lucas H. in first place, Aiden B. in second place, and Orion C. in third!
Fourth Grade - Thank you to everyone who visited our inflatable space museum! We were very pleased to share all of our work with you! ELA+ students will also have the opportunity for a “Passion Pursuit”. Math+ students will complete the Olympiad, attend the Parkway Equations tournament, and create art using math!
Fifth Grade - Thank you to everyone who visited our PBL Pompeii display by the library! We were very pleased to share all of our work with you! This term ELA+ students will use the inflatable museum to create an display to share their learning about all kinds of things, “Under the Sea”. Math+ participants will complete the Olympiad, attend the Parkway Equations Tournament, and then continue creating art with math from last year, and learn more about some new math in art!
Math Olympiads: The last contest will be Tuesday, March 10th!