TMHS Weekly Update
May 18 , 2020
While School is out...
This week at the School Committee Meeting our seniors who are graduating with honors- Magna Cum Laude, Summa Cum Laude and Cum Laude will be recognized. Also, the senior members of National Honor Society and our top three scholars will be recognized. If you would like to watch, the virtual meeting will be televised on Comcast Channel 22 and Verizon Channel 34 orwww.youtube.com/tewksburytv
We are so proud of all of the accomplishments of our Seniors!
Stay healthy and safe!
- IMPORTANT REMINDER:DUE AT THE END OF THE DAY MONDAY MAY 19th!!! We need Seniors to complete the form for the virtual component of our graduation events. The link works with the seniors school email. Here is the link: https://forms.gle/kHbnYBnx511QeXPJ6
- Some parents have organized an Adopt a Senior event planned and we would like to have all of our seniors adopted by someone in the community! If you are not on Facebook or prefer for this to be more private, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- An email with the date and time for seniors to come to TMHS during the week of June 2-4th will be sent out at the end of the week.
- Academic Excellence medals and NHS tassels and stolls will be given to seniors on the day they are scheduled at the high school. They will get them before they get their diploma and pictures!
We have partnered with Jostens for the creation of our graduation ceremony. We have created our own personalized distribution of diplomas for our seniors. Here is the Josten's link:
Parking Fee Refund
Semester 2 Grading
Understanding that we will now be in a Remote Learning Environment through to the last day of school on June 15th, we have worked out the following grading plan:
Grade Semester 2 as Credit/No Credit:
1. Eliminate Quarter 4 & Final Exam for Semester 2 grading purpose
2. Semester 2 elective courses will be graded Pass/Fail(Credit/No Credit).
3. The Semester 2 Credit/No Credit Grade for spring 2020 will not be factored into calculating a student’s overall GPA.
Semester 2 (Q3-Q4) elective courses (2.5 credits)
Students’ final grade will be calculated based on two components:
Work completed prior to March 13, 2020
Work completed during the Remote Learning period
Students will receive credit for completing the work described above. Students who do not complete the Remote Learning activities, will most likely not receive credit.
4. GPA Calculations
For courses taken during the 2019-2020 school year, GPA calculations will be based on final grades for full-year and first-semester courses. Half-year (2.5 credit) courses taken during the second semester will not be factored into the GPA calculation.
Colleges and Universities are all aware that circumstances for this school year are unlike any other in our lifetime and are adapting their admission processes. Remember every school in the country and around the world has been impacted.
TMHS will note any changes on our academic profile so that all colleges will continue to know what a rigorous academic program we are continuing to provide.
The following have not changed:
Only Final year end grades appear on Transcripts and are shared with Colleges.
Only Quarter grades are used when calculating GPA.
Only final year end grades are used in determining: National Honor Society; High Honors; Honors; etc..
Semester 1 Grades are the last grades used to calculate Seniors’ GPA as it pertains to recognizing top performing students for recognition nationally, regionally and locally.
Utilizing a Credit/No Credit Grading Model for 2nd Semester accomplishes the following:
Complies with the Department of Education Commissioner Jeff Reilly’s recommendation for Remote Learning to be graded Credit/No Credit.
Stays consistent with Tewksbury Memorial High School’s awarding of a Semester Grade & accompanying credit towards graduation.
Is equitable and fair to all students.
Recognizes that ⅓ rd of 3rd Qtr. and all of 4th Qtr (12 ½ weeks of the 18 week 2nd Semester) will have been spent in a remote learning environment ( Credit/No Credit)
Creates a unified platform for grading where all students will be graded as Credit/No Credit.
Physical Education/Wellness Activities
Here is the link:
Grab and Go Lunch
A Grab and Go Lunch plan has been established for all students in the district. Starting this week lunches will be distributed on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Please see attached link for this Grab and Go Student Lunch Option
Here is a good article from the Washington Post about the importance of modeling empathy for our children.