A newsletter for Alta Vista Staff~Week of December 3, 2018
Don't Forget! Next Week's Calendar
- Reg 12 Math Coaching with Mr. A (Select Teachers) on Monday, December 3
- Depth & Complexity Choice Board PD on Monday, December 3 at 4:00-5:00 pm at Technology (6th St) Conference Room **Sign up in Eduphoria**
- CDMC Meeting on Tuesday, December 4 at 4:15 pm
- Outstanding Teacher Award Ceremony on Tuesday, December 4 at 6:30 pm at University High School
- Reg 12 Science Coaching (Select Teachers) on Wednesday, December 5
- Inspiracion Ribbon Cutting on Wednesday, December 5 at 1:00 pm (Library closed)
- Faculty Meeting on Wednesday, December 5 **LEADERSHIP MEETINGS**
- Reg 12 #DigIn Twitter Chat about Digital Portfolios on Wednesday, December 5 at 8:00 pm
- PLCs with Judy York on Thursday, December 6 **Bring your laptop**
- Mayborn STEM Activity (Gr 1) on Friday, December 7
- 5th Gr. Fieldtrip to CCMS on Friday, December 7 at 8:30-10:30 am
- Student Leadership Lunch on Friday, December 7 at 11:00-Noon
Coming Up: CDMC on December 4
From Your Captain
We will be hiring a new PK aide for the spring semester. If you know of anyone that is interested, please encourage them to apply and let Mrs. Logan.
This is a busy time of year for everyone. Remember that campus and district policy is that daily lesson plans are posted by Friday for the following week. Posting your objective is also a requirement. If you are having technical issues with Eduphoria, please let Mrs. Boggess know.
We appreciate your flexibility next week during our Inspiracion Ribbon Cutting on Wednesday at 1:00 pm. We will have special visitors in the library and throughout the building. Don't forget to wear your ID badge!
Staff Members of the Week!
Congratulations Mrs. Haskett for being our Teacher of the Week! She has been a blended learning pioneer and leader by creating classroom videos and QR code activities to differentiate instruction and meet the needs of her students.
RESOURCE OF THE WEEK
Ditch that Textbook
Here's a snippet from a recent article from his website:
Here are 10 questions...that you can ask yourself to upgrade your lesson:
- Do learning activities and assessments allow students to engage in complex and messy (not simple) problem solving?
- Do students have the opportunity to design, create, make or otherwise add value that is unique to them?
- Is student work authentic and reflective of that done by experts outside of school?
- Are students creating real-world products or performances for authentic audiences? If yes, does student work make a contribution to an audience beyond the classroom walls to the outside world?
- Are students utilizing authentic, discipline-specific tools and technologies? (i.e. the actual tools and technologies that people in that discipline use)
- Who selected what is being learned and how it is being learned?
- Who selected which technologies are being used?
- Do students have the opportunity to initiate, be entrepreneurial, be self-directed, and go beyond the given parameters of the learning task or environment?
- Are digital technologies being used to facilitate the communication processes? (i.e. writing, photo/images, charts/graphs, infographics, audio, video, multimedia, transmedia)
- Are digital technologies utilized by students in both appropriate and empowering ways? (i.e. promoting digital citizenship)
Ditch Summit: PD On Your Couch
Don't forget to record the PD in TTESS!