May 29, 2015
A Message From Dr. Melissa Williams
Responsible and Acceptable are not synonymous. As a district we believe in creating lifelong learners and responsible citizens. In the world of technology where NOTHING is private and 37% of employers check social media regarding potential employees, responsible use of technology is critical for both our students and us. We use programs like Shattered Dreams to remind students of the dangers of drinking and driving but what do we do to ensure students and staff understand the consequences of posts in social media including email and texting. Beginning the 2015-16 school year Dickinson ISD will move from Acceptable use of Technology to Responsible Use of Technology to address the issues that technology use can have on anyone’s future.
iStation & Think Through Math Summer Usage
Want to Lose Everything on Your Desktop?
Power Down this Summer
- Power Cords plugged directly into a power source in the wall
DO NOT UNPLUG (click on the links for pictures, if you are not sure)
Don't forget to plug these back in when you get back from your break!
Phone Changes for Next School Year
Updates & Network Issues (Firewall)
Our firewall is saturated due to the amount of traffic currently flowing on the network. We have worked with Cisco to see if there is a temporary fix and are waiting on some results. We will be getting a new firewall when the budget year opens, but until then, we will see slower speeds.
Updates can speed up the performance of your computer. It is recommended that you run these before leaving for the summer so that there are fewer to run when you return from Summer Break.
- Click on your Windows Icon in the bottom left hand corner of your desktop
- Type in Windows Update into the Search Bar, and select this when it populates
- In the window that opens, select "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update"
- Windows will Check for Updates, Download Updates, and then Install Updates
- This could take up to an hour
- You may still work on your computer when these are running
- You will eventually have to restart your computer, and it may take a little longer than usual to login