Please Stop Laughing At Me
Summary of "Please Stop Laughing At Me"
The book "Please Stop Laughing at me" was written by Jodee Blanco. It is a true story that reflects on her life throughout her school days. Jodee was picked on, rejected, and physically abused by her classmates at almost every school she went to, and she switched schools a lot. The bullying began in elementary school and continued all the way until graduation. Jodee had to deal with her classmates taunting, chronic depression, helpless counselors, parents who didn't understand, and clueless educators for many years. "I just don't care about anything anymore. And don't even think about dragging me to another shrink because I won't go.". (Page 171)
Character Analysis of: Jodee Blanco
Jodee Blanco was an outcast, she didn't make any real friends until her junior year. Her habits, which weren't necessarily bad, were she always stuck up to people, did what she felt was right, and tried really hard to fit in. She often forgot who she really was in the process of trying to fit in. "I learned you couldn't be "gifted" and liked at the same time.". (Page 103)
The conflict Jodee faces in the book "Please Stop Laughing at Me" is character vs. society, but at certain points in the book it could also be considered as character vs. self conflict. Jodee Blanco was an outcast, she switched schools a lot, and at every school she went to she attempted to fit in and it backfired on her. She was bullied all throughout her school years by her classmates who didn't accept her (society), and then their nonacceptance made Jodee begin to stop accepting herself and who she is. Jodee attempted to solve this conflict by being someone she wasn't, "Being liked was all I cared about now." (Page 103). That didn't work out for her, so she became friends with more people like her, and she got through all of the bullying. She let all of the pain and hatred towards her other classmates go, and that's really how the conflict was resolved. The fact that she no longer cared about her school days is what made a difference to her.
The theme of the book/the message readers can take away from it is probably to be yourself, and not change just so others will like you. Being someone you're not won't help you in the long run, the right people will like you for who you are. This applies to Jodee specifically because she always acted differently around her "friends" to fit in, and then they all betrayed her. Annie and a few other people liked Jodee for who she really was, not who she was trying to be.
My favorite quote from the book is "When you're a victim of any kind of abuse, you can do one of two things. You can learn to turn your pain into purpose and make a difference in the world, or you can allow it to extinguish the light inside you.". I think that this is the most meaningful quote in the book because it gives others hope, and motivation to stop letting their pain break them inside.
On a scale from 1-5 stars, I'd rate this book 5 stars. I think it deserves 5 stars because it was a very good book and was well written. "Please Stop Laughing at Me" was a definite page-turner and I'm glad I read it.
For more information on bullying, Jodee Blanco, or the affects of bullying, look at the images, watch the video, or click on the links below. The images were taken from some of the websites listed in the "citation" section.
Defeat The Label Anti Bullying Video
English 8 CP Smore
09 May 2016
- (First photo was from this website) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennifer-nagy/thriving-after-bullying-a-true-story_b_9042618.html - Website Title: The Huffington Post; Article Title: Thriving After Bullying: A True Story; Publisher: TheHuffingtonPost.com; Date Accessed: May 09, 2016; Author: Jennifer Nagy
- (Actual link for information purpose) http://www.jodeeblanco.com/survival.htm - Website Title: It's NOT Just Joking Around! - A Survivor's Guide to Joking and Peer Abuse :: Jodee Blanco; Article Title: It's NOT Just Joking Around! - A Survivor's Guide to Joking and Peer Abuse :: Jodee Blanco; Date Accessed: May 09, 2016
- (Second photo was taken from this website) http://www.medicaldaily.com/cyberbullying-itself-not-harmful-person-bullying-technology-makes-harassment-feel-336272 - Website Title: Medical Daily; Article Title: Bullying Feels Worse When Encountered Both Off- And Online; Electronically Published: June 03, 2015; Date Accessed: May 09, 2016
- (Second actual link for informational purpose) http://www.pacerteensagainstbullying.org/tab/you-are-not-alone/real-teens-speak-out/ - Website Title: Pacer; Article Title: Real Teens Speak Out; Date Accessed: May 09, 2016
- (Third photo was from this website) http://www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/how-to-stand-up-to-bullying/ - Article Title: How to Stand Up to Bullies |; Electronically Published: December 22, 2014; Date Accessed: May 09, 2016
- (Video was from this website) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7nxbULcaH4 - Website Title: YouTube; Article Title: Defeat The Label Anti Bullying Video; Publisher: YouTube; Electronically Published: March 22, 2011; Date Accessed: May 09, 2016; Author: FCMichigan