"A Champion of the Common Man" or "King Jackson"
1) Determine whether Andrew Jackson was a President of the Common Man or a Tyrant, using specific textual and historical evidence to back their claims.
2) Understand and be able to describe Jackson's presidency, and the impact it has had on future presidents.
3) Be able to describe Worcester v. Georgia and the Indian Removal Act as it pertains to Jackson's presidency.
- What images/symbols do you see in the cartoon?
- What words/phrases do you see?
- What are the authors messages in the cartoon?
Andrew Jackson: "A Common Man?"
1) How does Andrew Jackson fit the description of the "Common Man"? (List at least five specific examples from the video).
2) What is Andrew Jackson's presidential legacy? Why do historians feel it is one of the most complicated in history?
3) Why do you think Thomas Jefferson, a fellow Democratic-Republican called Jackson a dangerous man? What evidence do you have to support your hypothesis?
Andrew Jackson vs. the National Bank
Click the link below to read about Andrew Jackson's battle with the National bank. Once you have read the article answer the questions below.http://www.neh.gov/humanities/2008/januaryfebruary/feature/king-andrew-and-the-bank
1) As a class we have discussed the reasons why not having a national bank is harmful to our country, and yet we see once again a president attempting to prevent the national bank from existing. What reason did Andrew Jackson have for objecting to a bill that would extended the charter of the Second Bank of the United States?
2) How is Jackson's stance on the Second National Bank impact the future of politics?
3) How has banking changed since the mid 1800's?
4) What does Jackson mean when he said the bank was"an engine of political oppression"
5) According to Jackson, why was the bank unconstitutional? Based on your knowledge of history do you agree or disagree with Jackson's argument.
Indian Removal Act
You may use paper, markers, crayons, colored pencils to complete this part.
Alternative assignment: You can write a news article on the Trail of Tears. Pretend you are living in that time period, how would you as a dedicated news reporter cover the Trail of Tears.
Andrew Jackson Indian Removal video
Worcester v. Georgia
1) What did the Supreme Court rule?
2) Andrew Jackson disregarded a ruling by the Supreme Court, how was he able to get away with it?
3) What impact has this case had on history in regards to Native Americans and their property rights?
Jackson: A Champion of the People or King?
Which one is Jackson?
2) Why does historian Amy Sturgis believe Jackson is not a champion of the common man? Give specific examples from the video.
3) What paradoxs in Jackson's presidency make the question: "Was Jackson the champion of the common man or King Jackson?" a hard question to answer?
4) Write a one page response (at least three paragraphs) answering the question "Was Jackson a champion of the common man or a tyrant?"
Review Flash Cards
When complete complete the test: http://quizlet.com/7317666/test?written=on&matching=on&mult_choice=on&tf=on&prompt-with=1&limit=23
3) Copy and paste your results to the test in an email and email - firstname.lastname@example.org