Sebastian River Times
Dear SRMS Families,
As we conclude the month of August, we are very excited to share that Average Daily Attendance for the month was 93.8%. 6th grade lead the 94.5%, 7th & 8th grade were both at 93.5%. We did experience a dip into the low 90s last week. Please remember, that students should not be absent more than 6 days in the school year. Parents, you can monitor attendance in Focus. An adequate attendance rate is 95% or higher.
After-school programming continues this Tuesday and Thursday. Each Tuesday and Thursday students can take part in many programs from 3:00-4:30 p.m. We have clubs such as Robotics, Yearbook, Student Council, FBLA, Study Hall, Mythology, and Rock Band. We also have various teachers tutoring. Students must check with their teacher about tutoring availability.
Parents, our PTSA Executive board is conducting its membership drive. Membership is only $10 and forms are available in the September newsletter and uploaded in Focus Announcements.
Upcoming Calendar Events:
- Volleyball and Soccer have home games this Wednesday and Thursday. Rides for students should be at the school no later than 6:00 p.m.
- Annual Open House is scheduled for Wednesday, September 13 from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. Information will be sent home on September 11.
- Picture Day is September 14. All students will have their picture taken during Social Studies classes. Flyers were sent last week to purchase picture packets. Parents can also use the QR Code which has been uploaded to Focus Announcements.
Last, but not least as required by the State Board of Education rule, we are calling to request that you complete an authorization form if you want your child to be called by a name other than their legal name. The form will be available when you log into the Focus Parent Portal. The completion of this form is required if your child has a nickname, a shorter version of their name, or uses their middle name. Upon completion of the form, we will ensure teachers know the name you have authorized your child to be called. Once a parent makes the formal request and it’s documented and reflected in Focus, you may call the student by that nickname.
SRMS Leadership Team
Picture Day- Thursday, September 14th
Cowboy Country Procedures
Front Office Procedures:
- Visitors: All visitors to SRMS are required to provide a Driver’s License to be entered into the district Raptor software when presenting to campus and at every visit after.
- Late Arrivals: Students arriving after 8:15 will need a parent/guardian to sign them into the front office to record their late arrival to school.
- Early Dismissal: Parents present stating their child has an appointment and are dismissed at that time. Students will be called once the parent has presented and been verified in FOCUS. A parent will be called if someone presents to pick up a student but is not on the contact list. Then the parents must email me permission for the individual to pick up before being released.
**Per District policy, no student is to be dismissed 30 minutes prior to dismissal. Cut off time for Sebastian River Middle School is 2:10 pm. If parent/guardian presents after that time an administrator must be contacted for permission for the student to be dismissed.
Please follow FOCUS (messages updated weekly on Facebook, Twitter, SRMS website, for important information and calendar activities for the week. The main telephone number for the school is 772-564-5111, Attendance Line is 772-564-5123.
District policy, parents have 48 hours to report any absences. Include student ID # when reporting. If a student is out due to an appointment, please have the student provide a note to the front desk secretary to excuse.
September's Weekly Lassos
TENTATIVE student schedules will be available for viewing in FOCUS starting Wednesday, August 2nd.
School Start Time
Supervision of students begins at 7:30 a.m. Please do not drop students off prior to 7:30.
From 7:30-7:50, students may eat breakfast in the cafeteria or wait in their holding area (gym for grades 6 and 7, Cowboy Courtyard for grade 8).
At 7:55, Mr. Racine will offer the morning announcements, and at 8:00 a.m. classroom instruction begins. Your student's daily, on-time attendance is very important to his/her success at SRMS.
If you need to call to excuse your student's absence, the number is 564-5123. Absences must be called in within 48 hours. You may also send a note in with the student, or email to email@example.com.
Please encourage your students to take care of these devices as they would any piece of valuable electronic equipment. There is a financial obligation attached if the device is damaged, destroyed, or lost, so this is an excellent opportunity to promote responsible care for borrowed items.
Students should bring their Chromebooks to school DAILY. Students will be given paper assignment(s) if their laptop is not present. If your student breaks or damages a Chromebook, please notify the school immediately. Your student will be instructed to take the broken or damaged device to Mrs. Strugeon in the Media Center and a loaner laptop will be temporarily issued. Parents will be notified of the next steps in seeking restitution for the broken or damaged Chromebook.
If you have questions at any time during the year about your student's device, please contact Mr. Wood at Dustin.Wood@indianriverschools.org.
Student Email Access
7:15-8:00 and 2:00-3:00
When dropping off and picking up students from SRMS, we ask that you follow this route:
Enter at the North County Pool, go to the back of the parking area, follow the line around the flag pole, and exit at the light. It is very important that you follow this procedure so we do not back up traffic along CR 512. We appreciate your assistance.
* Please watch carefully for walkers or bike riders in the crosswalk as you exit. *
School Bus Transportation
**Per the Transportation administrator, any requests for a student to ride home with another student must be made and emailed with a copy of the parent’s ID and student ID number included a week prior to the request to her attention and her assistant, sooner if possible. The email needs to include the school principal as well. Mrs. Idlette will then verify with the parent and make sure there is room on the bus for additional students. She will then email the parent, the school and notify the bus driver of the additional rider IF APPROVED. Bus drivers will not allow students to ride home without documentation from the Transportation Director. The email will be printed out and a copy provided to the student and bus duty administrator. This has been the process for the last two years due to bus staffing and student occupancy.
Did Your Student Forget Lunch?
UPCOMING CALENDAR NOTES:
- Wednesday, August 7th - Orientation from 3-6 p.m.
- Thursday, August 10th - First Day of School
- Monday-Friday, August 14th to 18th - Fall Sports Tryouts 3-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 13th- Open House from 3:00 to 6:00 pm
- Thursday, September 14th Student Picture Day
- Wednesday, October 25th- Conference Night from 3:00 to 8:00 pm
- Thursday, October 26th- Conference Night from 3:00 to 5:00 pm
- Friday, October 27th- NO SCHOOL due to Conferences
- The SRMS Media Center is the hub of our school. It is a full-service learning center where students and teachers gather to collaborate, research, create, and read!
- Our students will visit the library with their Reading or Critical Thinking classes every other week to learn more about what it means to be an IB student, learn research skills, create IB projects, and check out books.
We also offer flexible hours to students. We open at 7:30 a.m. daily; however, space is limited.
Students may check out up to 2 books at a time. If your child has any books still checked out from last school year, please send them back as soon as possible. If they are lost, please contact the media center.
We are very excited to welcome back our SRMS students to the 2023-2024 school year!
Media Specialist/IB Coordinator: Christine Sturgeon
Media Assistant: Carolyn Zimei
Download the PBIS Rewards Parent App!
You can download the app and see how many credits your student is earning, from which teacher, and what they are buying with their credits. If you've ever struggled to come up with some dinnertime conversation, this is a great way to engage your student..."I see you earned 25 Cowboy Credits today in class...what did you do to get those?' Or, "Are you saving up your Cowboy Credits to buy something big?"
Code of Conduct Forms
The school district and Sebastian River Middle School want you to be aware of a tool you can use to report suspicious activity. You can download the Foritfy FL app on your mobile device.
If you are interested in joining our SAC, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. SAC membership needs are dependent on student enrollment demographics.
If you are interested in volunteering at SRMS, contact Dustin.Wood@indianriverschools.org with your areas of interest and availability.