SME eBlast: 11/28/21
Important announcements from the SME Principal, PTA and AFB!
Principal Lewis' Sunday Update for the week of 11/29/21
Sunday Call for week of November 29th, 2021
Good evening Sierra Madre Families, this is Mrs. Lewis, your principal. I hope you enjoyed the week away from school with family and loved ones and are rejuvenated and ready to come back to school tomorrow morning as we embark on our last three weeks before Winter Break!
Here are the announcements for this week:
Monday, November 29th we will have our BRAVO morning assembly starting at 7:50am. We will also be doing our 3-5 Spotlight Awards. If you received an email from Geannie prior to the break, please come to the top field gate on Hermosa at 7:45am. Please remember that masks have to be worn at all times and no pets allowed.
Thank you for all of your support for the Thanksgiving Food Drive! We were able to give out 40 food baskets plus extra food to a local group that distributes meals to families AND to our sister school, Madison.
Diverse Bookroom Read Alouds
Please check out Ms. Wolford reading The Message In The Mirror, by Katrina Denise for our diverse bookroom read aloud this week.
SME Spirit Store is back online!!! Get your winter gear today! Also, the store has new inventory!!! Enjoy shopping while supporting SME! https://smeapparel.myshopify.com/
Mark your calendars. SEED is having their next meeting Monday the 29th at 6:30p.m. Come join the SEED community and get involved in promoting diversity and inclusion at SME. SEED is excited for their parent sponsored Holiday Social on Sunday, December 5th at Memorial Park. Come learn about multicultural winter holidays through crafts and games. All are welcome to come and share how they celebrate during this festive season! For more information about SEED meetings and events please check out their flyers in the SMORE.
Thank you to 51% of our school - that's 240 families - who have donated to support SME's funding needs! "All in for Fall" runs until Dec. 15, so it's not too late to make your family's contribution. And there's still a few Pop It's left for students of donating families! Donate today at tinyurl.com/smeafb2022.
For more event information, please be sure to visit our school website at sme.pusd.us
We are excited to see all of our students tomorrow morning at SME where we launch our journey of nurturing learners, and growing leaders.
And now, for this week’s riddle. What is black when it’s clean and white when it’s dirty? Don’t forget to check the very bottom of my SMORE for the riddle answer.
Also, check out the SMORE for all of the specific details and clarification.
Please continue to stay healthy and safe! Bye Bye!
COVID Testing at SME
COVID Screening and Testing at SME
Screening Questions Daily before coming to school
- Do I have a fever?
- Do I have a cough?
- Am I experiencing shortness of breath or difficulty breathing?
- Am I experiencing any other symptoms?
- Have I been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 10 days?
- In the last 10 days, have I been directed to quarantine, isolate or take a COVID-19 test?
How and Where PUSD Students and Employees Can Get Tested
PUSD offers COVID-19 PCR oral or nasal swab tests on campuses and at the District’s Primary Clinic, 8 a.m. - 3:30 pm. By appointment, please call (626) 396-3600, ext 88180
On PUSD campuses(SME) weekly testing, on Thursdays starting in September, is available for ALL students and staff.
Register for testing on the Color system here:https://home.color.com/covid/sign-up/start?partner=19648816021737students
We are holding at 84% of students registered.
STEPS to follow if you get a POSITIVE COVID test result
1. Immediately isolate from all others(family, school, sports, after-school enrichment and daycare)
2. Contact Mrs. Lewis/Ms. Rupp to notify POS results
3. Expect a phone call/contact from Health Department for specific information and quarantine next steps
4. Receive a short-term independent study agreement from SME
5. Complete assigned school work, if feeling well
6. Call and/or contact school/teacher if any questions
Updates from Health Programs
Pfizer Vaccinations for 5 – 11 year olds:
· Following this week’s CDC recommendation, we are finalizing our plans with the Pasadena Public Health Department to provide pediatric COVID-19 vaccinations for children ages 5 - 11. It is our goal to offer opportunities for the first dose before Thanksgiving and the second dose three weeks later which will allow our students to be fully vaccinated before they return from winter break.
· PUSD will partner with PPHD to host 3 pediatric clinics in November for first dose and two pediatric clinics in December for second dose for kids 5 – 11 only. Dates and times will be announced through the Superintendents Monday message. The locations of the clinics are Ed Center, Willard/Wilson, and Madison. Appointments will be first come first served and completed through myturn.ca.gov. We will hold a small amount of appointments for walk up patients.
- At this time, PUSD is not requiring vaccinations for any student.
- The previous email that went out to all families was letting you know that PUSD will offer locations for families interested in getting the vaccination.
Pfizer Vaccinations for 12 – 17 year olds:
· Vaccination appointments for 12 and older individuals can be accessed through myturn.ca.gov. Locations included:
o CHAPCare clinic in Santa Anita Mall, appointments or walk ins 626.398.6300
· Weekly school site testing will continue. We are working through adjustments in the schedule when there are holidays and shortened days.
Governor Newsom’s Executive Order can be found here. This will be further discussed on Monday.
PTA Announcements & Flyers
Mark your calendars. SEED is having our next meeting Monday the 29th at 6:30p.m. Come join the SEED community and get involved in promoting diversity and inclusion at SME.
SEED is excited for our parent group sponsored Holiday Social on Sunday, December 5th at Memorial Park. Come join SEED to learn more about diverse winter holidays through crafts and games. All are welcome to come and share how they celebrate during this festive season!
Want to get involved? Email SEED at firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Fund Boosters(AFB)
Thank you to 51% of our school - that's 240 families - who have donated to support SME's funding needs! "All in for Fall" runs until Dec. 18, so it's not too late to make your family's contribution. And there's still a few Pop It's left for students of donating families!
All funds raised go directly toward our school's programs and staff, including Music Teacher, Library Coordinator, Behavior Aide, Specialists in Visual Art, Theatre, Dance, PE, Coding and STEAM programs, Community Assistant and Recreation/Noon Aides.
Donate today at tinyurl.com/smeafb2022.
Diverse Book Read Aloud
Ms. Wolford(2/3 SPED Teacher)
Book Title: The Message in the Mirror by Katrina Denise
Mrs. Lewis' Riddle
Answer: A chalkboard