JSD Year 1 Newsletter
Week Ending Friday 13th September 2013
What have we done this week?
It has been a busy week and the children have now completed their first full week in Year One. We have been learning all the new routines and have also started our specialist lessons.
In Literacy the class started to look at the book “The Jolly Postman or Other People’s Letters” by Janet and Allan Ahlberg. This is our ’Power Of Reading’ book which will form the core of our Literacy lessons this term. It is such an engaging text and the children will be doing a lot of work based on its characters, settings and the different writing formats within.
In Handwriting the classes wrote the letters l, t, j, y, I and u. We also spent time forming other numbers and letters.
In Numeracy this week the class have been counting and grouping up to 20 objects. We also practised writing numbers to 10.
The children were thinking about how they have changed. We talked about growing up and listed a few things that they can do now that they are in year one, that perhaps they couldn't do when they were very little. The children wrote sentences based on “I can”. Some children wrote their own endings “I can jump”, “I can dance” and so forth.
This week in art the children worked in groups to complete pictures of characters from The Jolly Postman. These will be completed the next week. We’ll let you know when they go up on display in school.
We have played a variety of phonic games based on initial sounds.
In ICT the children worked with their teacher and Mr McNeil in the ICT hub.
Circle Time has been a fun but learning activity this week. The children have getting to know each other and the new children in their class. In D1LW we welcomed Raffi and Tobi. In D1LS we welcomed Kamsi, Jay, Parsa and Malhar. The children also made their own set of classroom and lunchtime agreements. They thought about what we could all do to make each classroom a warm and friendly learning space.
Tuesday, Sep. 17th 2013 at 6:30pm
Junior School Diamanthorst
Come along to Year One and find out more about the fantastic year ahead. The teachers will be giving a short talk with some general information. There will be time at the end if you have any questions about our routines.
- To avoid anything getting lost please remember to name EVERYTHING your child brings to school including their uniform, PE kit, snack and lunch boxes.
- As the weather is so unpredictable it is important that your child has a jacket or coat with them at school every day. If there is only a little rain or drizzle they will be going outside at playtime.
- Just a reminder that your child's PE kit should contain: A PE t-shirt, navy blue shorts, socks and sports shoes with a light coloured sole. Navy blue tracksuit/Jogging bottoms are recommended as the children may need to go outside for playtime in their PE kits.
- Please note that we do encourage the children to have their hair tied back out of their faces while at school.
- Water bottles should come into school every Monday. We will refill them daily and send them home for cleaning every Friday.
- Individual reading books will be changed on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday however, reading folders should be brought into school every day.